First New Tank in 17 years Red Sea 300 G2

LarryNuke

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tore down my 90 gallon tank about two months ago and am about to order a Red Sea Reefer 300G2. I'm excited about it. I wanted to go smaller so if I ever need to sell my home and move into some smaller place to live, I can move it easier. And I was concerned about the stability of the 17 year old 90.

It has been fun reading about the new roll filters, tank features, cabinet construction, sump features and more. My 90 started with 50 pounds of real reef live rock. It sat in my garage for almost 2 months getting all dead stuff off and cleaning up what was still living. Now there are lots of different ,man made reef rocks that are relatively clean and sterile. Unless you get the ones with beneficial bacteria already on them.

So, it is off on a new adventure shortly after I order the new tank.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on keeping your previous tank going for 17yrs! I've never lived somewhere long enough to accomplish that.

I also have a Red Sea Reefer so I look forward to following your build!

OP
OP
LarryNuke

LarryNuke

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased the Red Sea Reefer 300 2G and picked it up 6 days ago. It sat around a couple of days and then I started building the stand. It is like an expensive Ikea set. Follow the instructions carefully and if you are at all handy you can build it. I had the stand built to the point of setting the tank on it in a day.

It took me two days to line up the muscle to carry the tank in and set it on the stand. I must have leveled the stand well as it is still perfect after setting the tank on it.

Left it overnight and then set the bottom shelf in the stand and started installing the piping in the tank and sump. Everything fits nicely and after it is all done, there were no left over parts.

Now have the tank, stand, plumbing, stand doors all sitting ready to add more sump equipment.

I don't like the ATO tank sitting on top of the sump. It is going to be in the way for pump maintenance and changing mat filter rolls. I need a better way. A friend of mine has an earlier version of this tank. He sat the ATO tank next to the sump and uses a pump to maintain water level. I'm going to find out how he did this.

Waiting on reef rock, sand, mounts for lights, power strips and other odds and ends. All are on order. Just waiting impatiently for delivery.

Attachments

• Red Sea Stand Parts Laid Out.jpg
    Red Sea Stand Parts Laid Out.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 62
  • End of First Day - Stand is Done.jpg
    End of First Day - Stand is Done.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 62
  • Stand with Tank.jpg
    Stand with Tank.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 59
  • Stand with Doors and Tank.jpg
    Stand with Doors and Tank.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 68
OP
OP
LarryNuke

LarryNuke

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is taking so much time with this aquarium build? It appears a lot of things are more complex these days. The new Sicce return pump is a variable speed DC driven pump. The controller is more complex and has WiFi to set up to control it all. It takes more time to setup and learn how about all the features. Then the new Filter Mat needs WiFi setup and studying how to make it work properly. None of this is difficult, simply time consuming.

I just started counting cords to plug into an outlet strip. I"m up to 12 things to plug in and still counting. Some have a lump at the end of the cord and others have a large bump in the middle of the cord. I plan to tackle the cords with two outlet strips with 6 sockets on each. I'll use some 1 ft long extension cords with swivels on the plug end to help them all line up and fit into the outlet strip. And it moves the bump at the end of the cable 12 inches from the socket.

I ordered an Adaptive Reef controller board to mount some of the cord bumps onto and get them organized. Still uncertain how that will work out.

And have you tried to find fittings for pipes and hoses? Are the metric or imperial threads? What do you call that thing when you go to the hardware store to look for one?

This is just some of what I did today to construct my new aquarium. And it isn't even wet yet.

OP
OP
LarryNuke

LarryNuke

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LFS received most of the remainder of my order which I picked up today. I now have rock to build a reef, sand to cover the bottom of the tank and a controller board to organize all the electrical gear.

When I installed the 90 gallon tank 17 years ago I ran #12 wire for a separate, dedicated 20A circuit and added a GFI breaker to protect me. So, I have lots of power available and gear today uses less power than the old stuff I started with back in the day.

Next I'm going to design a new reef and cement the rock up with E-Marco-400 mortar to hold it all together. The reef could come together quickly or take time to find the perfect design. The next few days will tell.

OP
OP
LarryNuke

LarryNuke

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now the challenge is building the perfect reef. I determined I didin't order enough reef rock. I really like the Carib Sea LifeRock but the sales information isn't all that helpful to show what is in the box and even if I find photos they don't show me how large a rock is. This information would be very helpful. Even some examples of how to put the kit together would help before ordering.

Next week more LifeRock will arrive and then I can try more arranging. I did watch some Bulk Reef Supply videos that were very helpful. BRS is a valuable asset to the reefing community.

OP
OP
LarryNuke

LarryNuke

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the weekend I mounted my two Aqua Illumination Hydra 52 lights. Probably more than I need for this tank, but they were left from the 90 gallon tank I just tore down and I couldn't see buying new lights. Lights and brackets were easy to install.

Installed my Adaptive Reef Deluxe Controller Board. It includes a French Cleat mount. I didn't want to make a mistake with the holes for the three screws that hold the mount. I probably spent far too much time on placing it but I like the way it fits. Lots of possibilities for mounting controls. First items to mount are two 6 outlet power strips with a switch on each outlet.

Time to start making 80 gallons of RODI water. I have a 5 stage RODI from BRS with a booster pump on the feed line. I can make around 40 gallons a day if the water isn't too cold. I have two 35 gallon Rubbermaid Brutes and a 35 gallon poly storage tank. I'll fill all of those up and a few old Salinity buckets with the screw on lids. I want to be ready to fill the system right after Christmas.

Headed to Kauai for two weeks in January and will pour in Dr. Tim's One and Only when we return. If tank cycle goes well I should be ready for first animals/coral mid to end of February. Need to decide what to put in first.

OP
OP
LarryNuke

LarryNuke

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turned on the lights this week. I took down my 17 year old 90 gal. display tank. It sat on a stand and had a top hood over the tank where all the lighting was and glass tank covers below the lights. Now I have an open top 65 gal I am setting up. Same lights two AI Hydra 52. But without the hood a lot of light spreads beyond the tank into our family room. The tank and TV are right next to each other. How does one limit the horizontal spread of the light beyond the tank? It is really a lot of light in that room we don't want.

Received my shipment of LifeRock and it is time to build the reef. I'm going to use E-Marco-400 to hold it all together. It is cold here in the Pacific Northwest and my garage might hit a high of 40 degrees F during the day. I eMailed the manufacturer of the mortar and ask the temperature range of the mortal. He explained I was the first in his 10 years at the company to ask that. He says it is 40 to 90 degrees F and I'm right at the bottom of the range. After Christmas I plan to lay a couple of tarps on the floor in my house and set up a folding table to work on. I'll let the rock warm up a for a couple of days before applying the mortar.

OP
OP
LarryNuke

LarryNuke

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the reef built and now in Kauai for a couple of weeks of warmer weather. Watching a lot of videos on the web while here. I'll be so smart when I get home..... :cool:

When I return home it is time to add the sand and water. I plan to add water slowly and measure the amount of water in each inch from the bottom. Probably going to be a lot of effort but I think the data will be good to have later. I have 30 gallon of RO/DI in the storage tank and will need to make two or three more tanks full. I have two Brutes that will hold 25 gallon each. Will mix the salt in them and let the pump run on them about 24 hours each. Need to find a way to store another 30 gallon to have enough for a continuous fill.

The reef went through many variations. I ended up with three pieces. Total weight of reef is 70 lbs. I was initially frustrated with the rock I ordered then a reefing friend arrived and added his creativity to the process and I like how it came out. The tallest is about .6 of the reef height.

Used LifeRock, thick super glue, spray accelerator then when I liked all I had done I applied mortar to the joints. They will eventually be covered with coralline. I had planned to move it indoors and work on paint tarps so I was in a warmer environment. The weather warmed up and I stayed in my garage and I'm glad I did. Otherwise I would have had LifeRock debris all over the house.

Using the accelerator was great. I could pick up the reef about 30 seconds after I applied it to the super glue gel.

Attachments

• IMG_1777.jpg
    IMG_1777.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1778.jpg
    IMG_1778.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_1779.jpg
    IMG_1779.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 41
OP
OP
LarryNuke

LarryNuke

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm delinquent in updating my build process. I got the water in. I put 70 gallon in my 80 gallon system so the gravel and reef took up about 10 gallons of space.

Started up the return pump, turned on the lights, started the ReefMat filter, heater and let it run. Have been adjusting the overflow. It finally settled out when I installed the osmolator. My setup didn't work very well to use the included ATO tank. I set a Salinity bucket next to the stand and it is working fine. I ordered a square 4 let table and plan to put an ATO tank under the table and then put a skirt on the table to hide it all. I think I will have about a 10 gallon ATO tank when I get done.

Ran all that for a few days and then dumped in Dr. Tim's One and Only. Now in Day 10 waiting for nitrites to go down.

Started the skimmer up and dosing NO3-PO4-X and a little Ca. It is all coming together nicely. I like it.

saigonkid80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm delinquent in updating my build process. I got the water in. I put 70 gallon in my 80 gallon system so the gravel and reef took up about 10 gallons of space.

Started up the return pump, turned on the lights, started the ReefMat filter, heater and let it run. Have been adjusting the overflow. It finally settled out when I installed the osmolator. My setup didn't work very well to use the included ATO tank. I set a Salinity bucket next to the stand and it is working fine. I ordered a square 4 let table and plan to put an ATO tank under the table and then put a skirt on the table to hide it all. I think I will have about a 10 gallon ATO tank when I get done.

Ran all that for a few days and then dumped in Dr. Tim's One and Only. Now in Day 10 waiting for nitrites to go down.

Started the skimmer up and dosing NO3-PO4-X and a little Ca. It is all coming together nicely. I like it.
How’s this tank doing? I just started a 15 gallon nano in north lynnwood too. Been looking for some local reefers

Back