First real additions to my newly cylcled tank!~ Did I make a Mistake!!??

breezy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, first i want to let evey one know how truly thankful i am to have become a member here at r2r, as without you guys i wouldnt be where i am today with my so far successful saltwater reef tank! Being that i had no clue as to what i was doing when i started! Now that ive covered that i really need a little advice on my brand new additions (literally just walked in the door! I think i may have got a little ahead of myself being that i just got my tank cycled today and went to the fish store to verify my water paramaters and i was right where i needed to be! So i got overly excited and purchased a naso tang and a yellow tang that were in the same tank at the fish store, thinking that would be fine but it wasnt until after i left that i let my excited wind down and my brain to take back over! Realizing that the newly established tank may not be up to par for both all at once. Plus i have 8 damsels in there that have been in there for about 2 weeks! So my question is am i ok or did i get a little in over my head! Also i do plan on taking the damsels out before i put the tangs in but at the moment they are only floating!

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes 2 at once can be too much. It depends on the size of your tank, bio-filter, and size of the new fish as well.

EcoFrags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'd say your ok...if you had 8 damsels in your tank to cycle it then i see no problem. Usually its only 1-3 when cycling a tank so with 8 your bio load has been pretty high and those tangs shouldnt crash your system but it is a jump and you should watch nitrates and make sure that things stay in check

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of damsels? Do you plan on removing them?

I've seen little damsels bully and stress much larger fish, there are some that are much less aggressive then others, like Green Chromis, they tend to only kill each other, where domino and blue devils can kill whatever they choose. (Well maybe. ;) )

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank do you have? You want to make sure that you give the tangs algae sheets each day. There is probably not enough algae for them to graze off the rocks. Also, tangs are notorious ich magnets. Keep an eye out for white specks that look like salt. Good luck with your new additions!!!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back