First reef Nuvo 40

TheWalkman99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally decided to start a reef tank after having a few freshwater tanks. Picked up a Nuvo 40 a few weeks ago. Started cycling with shrimp and Bio-spira in a bin two weeks ago. My sand comes in tomorrow so the tank will be getting filled in the next few days so I figured now is a good time to start my build thread, so I can ask questions and show my progress.
Current equipment:
IM fusion 40
AI prime
Jebao RW-4
Ehiem jager 150 watt
Tunze nano ATO
30 pounds of south sea base rock
20 pounds of caribsea ocean direct
20 pounds of Fiji pink

Stocking list idea
2 clowns
Royal gramma
Purple firefish
Pistol shrimp goby pair
Cleaner fish

Anythings I should be doing before I finally fill the tank? Also any recommendations for a skimmer?

Spent last Sunday doing the leak test and routing all my wires. Really excited to fill the tank.
IMG_1495.JPG

IMG_1553.JPG

IMG_1555.JPG

OP
OP
TheWalkman99

TheWalkman99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for all the compliments on the rock work. I nothing seemed to fit when I started then I made a little turn then it all came together! Really happy with it.
So excited I finally got my sand in. Got home late tonight. Found out I got Friday day off work so I'll be gluing my rock work together and filling the tank up!
Also managed to pick up a cheatomax light up for $20 off at my LFS today! So need to order a media basket for a refugium. Probably going to order the Intank media basket.
How does everyone have their bsck chambers setup?

OP
OP
TheWalkman99

TheWalkman99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's alive!! Finally after a month of research finally have the tank full of water!! Super hazy since I just filled it. Can't wait to see it clear up. Heard people say the ocean direct can take a few days to clear up.
Ill post pics once it clears up

OP
OP
TheWalkman99

TheWalkman99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1563.JPG
Been busy this weekend so I've had no time to work on the tank. My salinity is perfect at 1.025. Need to do a bunch of testing of levels tonight. Also need to double check my thermometer currently reading 82 need to get it down a bit. Also need to clean the inside glass. But here's a picture so awesome to see it filled

baslewprime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
first where the overflow is. I pulled a filter bag and put it in there. I think it is the only chamber it will fit in.

do you have any problem with removing debris?

detritus will just go into the skimmer instead of being filter flossed first.

OP
OP
TheWalkman99

TheWalkman99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
first where the overflow is. I pulled a filter bag and put it in there. I think it is the only chamber it will fit in.
Dang. Your the first one I've actually asked but yeah I've heard it only fits in the overfill chamber. Which I don't want to do since I'm already replacing one filter sock for a chaeto refugium.
I'll probably end up with the ghost skimmer then.

speedstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang. Your the first one I've actually asked but yeah I've heard it only fits in the overfill chamber. Which I don't want to do since I'm already replacing one filter sock for a chaeto refugium.
I'll probably end up with the ghost skimmer then.
I went back and forth myself but landed on the Tunze being such a better skimmer (not from experience just others) that it was the best choice. I looked a a HOB fuge but not sure i'll add it. Thinking i'll just drop the media reactor in if ever needed.

Also love your rockwork!

OP
OP
TheWalkman99

TheWalkman99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my Tunze nano ATO up and running. Need to find a smaller container for the resivour once I do I'll tidy up all my wires. Slowly getting my nitrates down from the cycle. Hopefully I'll have a firefish in the tank next Wednesday!

IMG_1567.JPG

OP
OP
TheWalkman99

TheWalkman99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got this cool guy today!
He's been spending time cruising around the rock I put him on.
Excited to start stocking this tank, really excited to put corals in the tank too!
Got the light on now too. No idea what to do for settings. Any recommendations?

IMG_1578.JPG

Back