OP
OP
TheWalkman99

TheWalkman99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some pictures of the corals I grabbed from reef-a-paloza. Forgot what the two at the top of the tank are called. But picked up a torch coral, blasto,Duncan, Zoa, and a golden mushroom.
Also last Saturday I picked up two red leg hermits, 2 trochus snails, a spotted turbo snail.

D2CE125A-7760-4553-BAA5-E256FC11B942.jpeg

B871B8E4-CB8A-45C4-9A28-1A349AA17D41.jpeg

8C4BB1A6-A30A-48FC-A361-40362DDA8A0C.jpeg

OP
OP
TheWalkman99

TheWalkman99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have recommendation on how to clean the Nuvo filter socks? Do I need to scrub them or soak them in something?
Really thinking about getting another Intank media basket since these filter sucks seem like a pain. Just don’t want to drop $60 when there’s some other things I need for the tank.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have recommendation on how to clean the Nuvo filter socks? Do I need to scrub them or soak them in something?
Really thinking about getting another Intank media basket since these filter sucks seem like a pain. Just don’t want to drop $60 when there’s some other things I need for the tank.

I read a lot of folks wash them and reuse, but I do not personally use them.

baslewprime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

im on the same boat. filter sock are pain to clean it.

im using intank media basket on both chambers. just put filter floss on it and u re good to go :)

baslewprime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
or just buy a filter floss holder its cheaper and do the same thing.

OP
OP
TheWalkman99

TheWalkman99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who makes a decent filter floss holder?
I’m more looking for a way to get them clean until I buy a holder, because rinsing and scubing them by hand doesn’t seem sufficient.
Update on the tank most corals seem to be doing great. Only issues is my one Zoa seems to be browning in a few areas keeping an eye on it. And my torch kept falling but I think I found a better spot for it.
Added pulsing Xenia to the tank last night. Trying to find an isolated low flow area so it can pulse and not get out of hand. Hoping to occasionally frag it for store credit. Maybe occasional free water? Haha
On a sad note I had my first death one of my small red leg hermit crabs died. I found him out of his shell curled in the rocks. We’re the best place to get extra shells?

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who makes a decent filter floss holder?
I’m more looking for a way to get them clean until I buy a holder, because rinsing and scubing them by hand doesn’t seem sufficient.
Update on the tank most corals seem to be doing great. Only issues is my one Zoa seems to be browning in a few areas keeping an eye on it. And my torch kept falling but I think I found a better spot for it.
Added pulsing Xenia to the tank last night. Trying to find an isolated low flow area so it can pulse and not get out of hand. Hoping to occasionally frag it for store credit. Maybe occasional free water? Haha
On a sad note I had my first death one of my small red leg hermit crabs died. I found him out of his shell curled in the rocks. We’re the best place to get extra shells?

Are you sure it was not a molt? Often looks like a carcass.

BTW, InTank makes some filter floss holders, but you may be able to DIY one as well.

OP
OP
TheWalkman99

TheWalkman99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure it was not a molt? Often looks like a carcass.

BTW, InTank makes some filter floss holders, but you may be able to DIY one as well.

I thought that at first but when I pulled it out it was the actual body. Can’t find his shell yet though
Wondering if it was a fight for a shell.

Lollipop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have used both and ended up with one basket and one filter sock. I had 3-4 socks at a time so i switch up and keep dirty ones until i run out. I soak them in hot water for a couple of hours (to loosen dried gunk)- oh dont mix with socks with other laundry - it makes all felt (non-woven fused) make balls. synthetic filaments love to ball when there is contact with different fibers! Anyway, wash them a hot cycle, inside out, with little detergent and bleach. if your wash functions as it should, soap and bleach should be out when cycle is done. I in fact choose extra rinse and spin. the OEM socks have a treatment (coating) on the outside - which is nice to protect any backdrift but it prevents debris escape to outside. so turn inside out and wash.

why detergent? detergent loosens debris from fiber composites. without it, the cleaning is done but not optimal. detergent works the best when water is hot. if mediocre is what you are looking for, when you remove the sock, just use hot water spray to wash off debris. i think it removes at least 60% of whats caught in the sock to my eyes.

Do not use the socks until dry (someone told me residue bleach should be evaporated???). it didnt make sense to me but i didnt research, and i have used one when it was just out of wash. I wasnt sold on that theory but i would be cautious if you arent sure.

The media basket is super convenient when you use chemi pure. i did use a layer of white filter i bought from drs. foster and smith (200 micron) and cut them into squares to fit on top layer. use a template and a sharp knife (not scissors)- hard to cut them straight. What i found is that the socks last a lot longer so you dont have to change it all the time but little square will need frequent changes. if the squares arent straight, well it defies the purpose, but not completely worthless.

i graduated the fusion 40 a couple of months ago. i am glad to have a sump but the fusion was a breeze not worrying about flooding or overflow. perfect for a small simple reefing. i dose stability from time to time. it actually solved my problem in the past and i am a believer. just a prevention rather than remedy. the best thing i did was pods. If pods dont populate in your tank, then there is a problem - until you find the problem, dont invest in something expensive- it means the tank is not stable.

OP
OP
TheWalkman99

TheWalkman99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i graduated the fusion 40 a couple of months ago. i am glad to have a sump but the fusion was a breeze not worrying about flooding or overflow. perfect for a small simple reefing. i dose stability from time to time. it actually solved my problem in the past and i am a believer. just a prevention rather than remedy. the best thing i did was pods. If pods dont populate in your tank, then there is a problem - until you find the problem, dont invest in something expensive- it means the tank is not stable.
Not to early to start adding pods yet?
What is the stability you dose?

Also it was just moly I found the hermit was out cruising around knocking frags over today.
Need to start gluing some frags down.

OP
OP
TheWalkman99

TheWalkman99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a busy weekend cleaning all my tanks!!
But my reef tank is doing great!
Picked up a favia this weekend and a bright orange ricordia. I’ll post pictures of those two tomorrow when they’re more adjusted.
Think it’s tike to start bumping up the lights soon!
I now understand why some people don’t put hermits in their tank. Seems like every other day I’m picking up a frag they knocked over.
My cheato is doing great. I’m getting awesome growth! Two pictures are only 6 days apart!

E381D2C6-0514-4593-A5A3-C45066185D9A.jpeg

0A0ED687-EAE1-4411-A671-E54614E9000D.jpeg

SwiftStorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Crazy stuff in my 40. I finally removed my big snowflake eel and yellow tang and traded them in on a false yellow angel, diamond spot goby and coral banded shrimp.

Here's the crazy when I returned home from my long trip (4 hours) I found a dead blue damsel. He was in there for 4 months living happy. Floated acclimated the new fish. When I returned home from work the next day I couldn't find my goby. Dead on the lid. There is only a half inch space between lid and tank.

Crazy stuff
IMG_20181019_173325.jpeg

chum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crazy stuff in my 40. I finally removed my big snowflake eel and yellow tang and traded them in on a false yellow angel, diamond spot goby and coral banded shrimp.

Here's the crazy when I returned home from my long trip (4 hours) I found a dead blue damsel. He was in there for 4 months living happy. Floated acclimated the new fish. When I returned home from work the next day I couldn't find my goby. Dead on the lid. There is only a half inch space between lid and tank.

Crazy stuff
IMG_20181019_173325.jpeg
sorry to hear that, those gobies seem to know where the smallest escape spots are.

OP
OP
TheWalkman99

TheWalkman99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excited everything is going so smooth in my tank still. Besides my CUC constantly knocking over my corals. Currently plan to glue a lot of them down this weekend.
Still getting awesome chaeto growth.
Finally set up my lighting schedule and I’ve been ramping up my intensity everyday.
And surprisingly my coral with the most growth is my Stylophora.
So I’ve heard a lot about Aiptasia on this forum and I’ve been trying to avoid it.
Unfortunately in my 180 freshwater tank I got hydra which is very similar to aipstasia. So I have that to deal with now.

E1CE9B4B-FE1C-456D-B81F-86A9D92C2CF5.jpeg

speedstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a busy weekend cleaning all my tanks!!
But my reef tank is doing great!
Picked up a favia this weekend and a bright orange ricordia. I’ll post pictures of those two tomorrow when they’re more adjusted.
Think it’s tike to start bumping up the lights soon!
I now understand why some people don’t put hermits in their tank. Seems like every other day I’m picking up a frag they knocked over.
My cheato is doing great. I’m getting awesome growth! Two pictures are only 6 days apart!

E381D2C6-0514-4593-A5A3-C45066185D9A.jpeg

0A0ED687-EAE1-4411-A671-E54614E9000D.jpeg
What media basket is this?

OP
OP
TheWalkman99

TheWalkman99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did my water change a day late this week but got it handled and still looking good.
Got a sweet deal on a candy cane coral this weekend! $65 for a decent colony! Also picked up some Rasta zoas. Happy they have some Coraline so hopefully get some growing in the tank. Also picked up some green star polyp and decided I’m going to grow it on the back. Going to try and pay for some of my water changes.

24FE6945-333E-4EF1-B714-C2E5F5BF8644.jpeg

74771E31-9603-434A-B47D-DF4AAB215669.jpeg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 45.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 14 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.3%
Back