First Reef! Planning and Building My 140 Tall (in-wall)

Brom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
**Keeping this for context, but updated plans are on post 20!**

Hello! I've been lurking around here for a few months now but I am now starting a remodel intended to incorporate my first reef tank into a wall to isolate my office/fish room! I've taken quite a bit of time reading, watching, googling, searching, reading again and getting inspired. I also have a coworker buddy who has been a decades long fishkeeper/LFS employee on the side nudging me just enough to get this all started.

A brief little background-I was born and raised in central IL which admittedly wasn't all that conducive to exploring my early and natural awe for the sea. While pursuing my undergrad I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity at 1000 volunteer/intern hours combined at the Shedd Aquarium and with the reef dept at Sea Life Park in Waimanalo, HI. I was lucky, and gained a lot, to be able to conduct all varieties of husbandry, research, and visitor education work experiences. I later pursued a MS in Biology and have since been able to attain a house and reef tank worthy job. I'm extremely excited to get back to the reef, and to go on this educational experience with my kindergarten age science-enthusiast daughter.

The house my wife and I purchased in August has a sub basement and a lower basement, and I'm setting up in a corner of the sub basement. This room used to be the dewatering/sump for the house, but the previous owners then dug a lower basement with dewatering/sump so the sump in this room is now effectively obsolete. The room was to be my full office space but things kind of just found their way to the back of the room during/after the move and I set up my PC in a relatively small footprint anyway. I realized that 1) I could easily reduce the space needed for my PC, 2) I would really prefer to have a walled off PC in contrast to the current open floor plan of the office out to the kids playroom/living room, and 3) I should put a reef tank in said wall!

A few weeks ago I ordered and purchased the odds and ends to get some dry rock cycling--I'm currently cycling 40 lbs of base to get started, with a small handful of rock gifted by coworker fish instigator =] in a gray brute in the RODI area of my planned fish room..you could call it a complex. See drawing below for requested input and opinions on my 2room setup! Last weekend I sought out to construct a floating desk to free up the fish room portion of the office, and unfortunately found termite damage. I knew buying the house there was some activity in the garage (far other end with no damage...) and its since been treated--so now my best option is to take it in stride, and to get a small loan for repairs (and upgrades!!) Thanks to my intentions to get back to reefing, I found and am repairing the damage early!

This also gives me the option to tear to studs to take care of/consider all of the following:
-run a dedicated GFCI circuit
-pour self-levelling for a perfect foundation
-hang FRP in some fashion, perhaps on top of plywood so I can mount anything wherever I want?
-potentially wire up an exhaust with humidistat (input pending)
-potentially run a utility sink or get creative with a drain option through the wall to laundry utility sink (see schematic)
-potentially setup separate refugium above tank
-potentially setup far wall for auxiliary tanks (I'm thinking frag tank, maybe a substrate-critters tank, and a ribbon eel down the road someday?!)
-setup wall or perhaps other area for quarantine
-full shelving
-run other non-reef wiring for ideal PC use incl HDMI/USB to upstairs TV
-perhaps run a custom rail for a curtain divider for my PC
-and other great ideas you guys can provide for me to get in trouble with the wife :p
-kidding, she's equally as excited

Below is a SketchUp I did of my current general plans for the two rooms. I figured now was a good time to introduce myself on here and get potential feedback before construction or commitment to anything more permanent.

Tank: I am currently looking at a 140 tall, (48.5x24.5x29.5) through planet aquariums, with external overflow, and debating the $200 for crystal front. I'm looking to stay in the $1500 max range level of tank, and with kids (5 and 1) want to avoid acrylic. I plan on running a bare bottom.

Stand/wall: Plan to DIY with the colorful little spec picture thing I keep seeing, and putting some sort of undetermined paneling finishing out the wall it will create, next to a 30" door. I've over-estimated in my mocked up plan for door size, with true tank size for play. I might put a jack under the beam that sits atop this planned tank space, even if only for peace of mind for my intentions at a long-surviving system underneath a beam. Is there a certain type/weight of wall covering that you would begin to worry about installing to the front of your tank? My plan is to do anything other than sheetrock, allow for "easy enough" access (pull a panel?), but to maintain the function of a wall. If there are humidity considerations for choice of this material I am all ears.

Sump: I am anticipating a DIY system that will fit in that 48.5" stand. I would welcome quick input on this in case there is opportunity for me to utilize $/gal that ends Feb 1 locally for me. 40 breeder from Petco?

House sump and utility sink: This is the now effectively obsolete sump. It works fine just doesn't get water. I plan to keep it in case of spills or worse in the fish room. If I can do the frame right, I might be able to also install a utility sink into this box, around the sump and its plumbing, while maintaining access to the house sump. Thoughts on that? Cabinetry above this box for extra out of reach stuff is doable.

You can see where the sink is in the laundry room. It's really just outside the door, is the fish room utility sink overkill? I currently have the wall between laundry and fish room open and could even do something custom with drain PVC to make some sort of tube draining through the wall into the utility sink. I've been known to get crafty. Which of my sink options (for draining etc--RODI has to be in other room) do you think makes the most sense?

Auxiliary wall: The wall between the house sump and the tank are where I plan to put the panel for electric mounting, and eventually some racks with auxiliary tanks on the system. Pending your input I have also been given suggestion to look into setting up a refugium above the tank.

RODI: This is about the only space I could imagine working...until I expand down into the full basement someday :D My water main comes out of the foundation right at this spot, and is exposed for plumbing modifications. I could rack the RODI on the wall and utilize the 30"x36" area for drums/brutes/whatever. That's the space where I currently have the 40 lbs going in a 32 gray brute. There is also very conveniently a drain right there too.

Fish Rooms Setup.png

Here is my little mock up. The wall you're looking through is an external wall, as is the wall running NE from said wall (aux wall from home sump to aquarium and on into kids room/living room). It's not clear, but I will have the PC mounted on a shelf off of the floating desk. I plan to use the desk space closer to the tank for aquarium stuffs. In the space where my butt will be when im on the PC, on the external wall to my right is a window. I am happy to black this out as much as is necessary with it facing the tank. I have 5' of space from the front of the desk to the homesump/perhaps sink box for my chair and perhaps an additional small work station surface. The space between the homesumpbox and tank is 3'10". The space between the tank and the external wall NW of the tank will be at minimum 7" (width of column) probably plus at least one 2x4, if not a metal jack for peace of mind. I didn't draw out the volume of it for visibility sake, but there is HVAC slightly offset from the rest of the room height above the tank. You can see the rectangle in the lighter gray top portion of that exterior wall by tank. It extends entire fish complex, and enters the lower basement in the wall immediately past the RODI area.

I welcome your input! I was impressed with the spirit and tone of every reef2reef thread I read through in getting to this point. I can't wait to get started. Thanks for reading and/or following along. Hello from the past if you're reading this down the road--I am always happy to answer questions and plan to keep this build well-documented to help with my impatience :)

fish rooms 2.png

Last edited:

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to REEF2REEF! That’ll be an amazing build. I was born in southern Illinois and raised on Oahu. So I’m quite familiar with Sea Life Park. I prefer Waikiki aquarium though.

OP
OP
B

Brom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to REEF2REEF! That’ll be an amazing build. I was born in southern Illinois and raised on Oahu. So I’m quite familiar with Sea Life Park. I prefer Waikiki aquarium though.
Agreed on Waikiki aquarium! I guess in general Oahu is just pretty nice eh? :) I got to stay with a family with a house literally on Kalanianaole just south of Waimanalo.

I'm not a fan of cetacean captivity, but it does have its place for inspiring kids, research, etc. I enjoyed working with the green sea turtle breeding colony (1 of 2 in the world) where we reared hatchlings for a nutritional study and eventual release.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed on Waikiki aquarium! I guess in general Oahu is just pretty nice eh? :) I got to stay with a family with a house literally on Kalanianaole just south of Waimanalo.

I'm not a fan of cetacean captivity, but it does have its place for inspiring kids, research, etc. I enjoyed working with the green sea turtle breeding colony (1 of 2 in the world) where we reared hatchlings for a nutritional study and eventual release.
I grew up in kaimuki so not far from the beach and Waikiki aquarium. And my high school was on kalanianole in kahala. Nice area to grow up and live. I do like Waimanalo. So laid back there, especially if you go up towards the mountains.

OP
OP
B

Brom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you've got a great plan. My only thought would be to include:

for your sink.

Thanks for your input! Pulling link from quote text here, is this what you're referring to? I could easily add that to the med-large utility sink in laundry room. For the room with the tank I am thinking I should at least set myself up a drain option (if not full sink) where I can drain without stringing hose into laundry room while I have the opportunity with walls open.

OP
OP
B

Brom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some other thoughts: If I'm cycling a small handful of live rock with my 40 lbs dry, and said tank has some aiptasia but no obvious growth on the rocks received, will the cycle (in brute) with no light or nutrients be sufficient to kill any chance of aiptasia? How long should I cycle with that in mind?

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank,more or less, in wall build.
how tall to the top of the tank?
that will determine what size tank you can fit underneath.
how you mounting the lights?
is the wall the tank is through done yet? does the door open in to or out?

OP
OP
B

Brom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for reaching out @sp1187 !

Still all designs at this point, so I have a bit of wiggle room for top of tank. If I have bottom of tank ~ 32" off of ground, then its ~62" to top of tank with ~24" clearance. I could run framing really in any manner I want for the lights. I haven't opened the drywall above tank where HVAC runs but could to determine framing there too.
After measuring and playing with precise measurements of jambs and desire to have more bracing for the beam above tank I actually changed design today for barn door instead, sliding away from tank. Wall is not complete, the doorway and stand will be the entire opening save ~2" clearance on each side of stand between the two current/remaining columns. I have an updated mock coming.

OP
OP
B

Brom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the new plan for the doorway. Same opening size of a 30" door, but saving precious framing space. OSB looking wood is the beam that I want to get bracing under for longevity, as it is bolted into the larger beam above it (only). OSB looking wood in background is my updated plan for a little utility sink over the unused sump space with aux tanks.

barn door.png

This shows a better angle of how I intend to use that space, as well as the likely destination for power mounting stuff/room for controller and gadget stuff.

home sump and sink and aux tanks.png

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a lot of tall tank owners recommend front access (top access panel) for maintenance.
I didn't & so far it hasn't been an issue, but it would make coral placement easier at the front lower areas, depending on your scape design.

so I'm not familiar with the tank you are looking at... the overflow... back glass or side glass? and the return?

OP
OP
B

Brom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a lot of tall tank owners recommend front access (top access panel) for maintenance.
I didn't & so far it hasn't been an issue, but it would make coral placement easier at the front lower areas, depending on your scape design.

so I'm not familiar with the tank you are looking at... the overflow... back glass or side glass? and the return?

My current plan for the 'wall' above/below DT is vinyl hardwood planking on some hinged surface where I can swing up the entire top panel above tank. With same above parameters I would have 20" of clearance above tank, accessing from the front of the tank.

Closest LFS that can do PA sent me this picture which would be same overflow. I'm considering leaving it all unpainted with a diy removable backdrop so I don't hinder my vision for maintenance. I'm debating return setup, I could do this to have a fuge above DT, recommendations on that?

IMG-9267.jpg

These are the options from LFS dude.

IMG_9268.jpg

leave space for a dehumidifier.

Central IL. I could open to floor joists and put in an exhaust fan with humidistat. Should I undertake the effort now? I could also consult HVAC as there is a return duct running immediately above the tank space. I can fit dehumidifier under electric or between my PC setup and the home sump shelving.

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my tank is in our finished basement. the back is a utility room with boiler, well pump and water softener. in the summer all the plumbing was dripping because of the humidity from the tank. I'm in Michigan so you and I have more or less the same temps/humidity. something to consider.

OP
OP
B

Brom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my tank is in our finished basement. the back is a utility room with boiler, well pump and water softener. in the summer all the plumbing was dripping because of the humidity from the tank. I'm in Michigan so you and I have more or less the same temps/humidity. something to consider.
Yep my current plans are baseline humidifier in the room, and consult here or HVAC for adding exhaust/humidistat or even a return to AC and whole home. Thanks!

OP
OP
B

Brom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my tank sidewall drilled for a reef savvy ghost over flow.
http://www.reefsavvy.com/product/21-ghost-overflow-2to3-week-lead-time
return is opposite side, not drilled, "j" pvc over the top.
full viewing from the back.

LFS took a picture of his monitor lol..here's a better picture of how it appears to be cut. I considered a peninsula setup like that but my return would be far other end of how I picture sump setup to also keep other tanks on same system down the road. Additionally if the tank is not covered during the day in the back its directly in light from a S/SW window.
tank.png

OP
OP
B

Brom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few updates. The room will no longer serve as a co-office, I'm going full blown fish room. Wife blessing for office downstairs! Carpenter is back out of there and we are now structurally sound and ready to get rolling! Insulator spraying these exterior walls on Monday and I've already wired everything up (except for breaker connections...no thanks) and have drywall ready to go up! Pardon the mess, I still have to clean things up this weekend after demo, carpenter, and now the 'electrician' (me).

IMG_3339.jpg

Looking into the fish room, this will eventually view DT (4'x29.5" display) in wall and barn door opening to the left. Utility sink and mix station will be on the left wall. Back left corner will be storage and potential future frag space. Window is covered with a blanket and will have a work bench/station below it. Back right corner is house sump which I am replumbing flush-er to wall to create space to put in tall stand for above tank fuge and more potential frag tank rack capabilities. Near right wall (behind the tank) I ran two 20A circuits to eventually be placed into electronics cabinet.

IMG_3338.jpg

Existing circuit for room outlets and lights is now full GFCI. This area will be slop sink/dehumidifier/RO-DI/mixing station (left to right).

IMG_3337.jpg

Internet comes in this room so I put it into gang box. Also in there is taped off cable in case I ever re-connect. (DOUBT, but might as well keep it reachable prior to foam insulation. Switch for exhaust and switch for outlet in ceiling above work bench space. USB outlet pleases me :cool:

IMG_3340.jpg

Two new 20A circuits that will be in electronics cabinet. Ran an outlet to space above tank in case I wish I had after it is all finished. Each gang are two independent GFCI with alarm. I read and read about concerns of not having GFCI for potential erroneous trips but I do plan to have two returns so I can utilize the redundancy I've built myself here. Any non-zero risk to my kids just isn't worth the reef to me. Not finished yet is one more extension from the left circuit to fuge/frag stand to left off picture.

IMG_3336.jpg

Panasonic 50/80/100 CFM rated to run continuous if needed. Gotta run the vent yet. And convince myself the sheetrock will hold it up without additional bracing as directions read.
--

And here is an aerial view of the new fish room plans. This is above the DT looking into room. The storage and work bench (and window) aren't necessarily to scale. I have 8' to work with for slop sink//dehumidifier/waterchange/storage. And that fuge will actually be rotated 90 deg. Welcoming all input!

updated fish room.png

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.6%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 73 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back