First reef tank - 30 gallon with canister

crannon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank started 2023:
This is my first reef tank build and saltwater aquarium and I just wanted to document its progress. It’s kind of a simple budget build to help get my feet wet in the hobby so nothing super fancy. I’m using a fluval 307 canister filter for now and inline heater since originally it was going to be a freshwater planted tank so I had the equipment for that. Still waiting to get the clear lily pipes. The tank is a waterbox clearmini 30 that I originally picked up on sale a few years ago and intended to use for a planted freshwater tank but never did (I do have a 16 and 6 gallon freshwater planted tanks). For the scape itself I’m using some old reef rocks and coral we had on hand that were cured for about a month. I decided on a single large arch with some crevices and caves naturally built in mostly due to the pieces I had on hand and the height of the tank. While I haven’t built a reef scape before I kind of used the same process I’d use in freshwater. Basically fitting pieces to where they feel most stable and I used some reef cement to help stabilize everything. I made sure to make the base pieces very sturdy and sit on the glass not the sand. It might look delicate but the whole thing is very solid. For the sand I’m using a mix of caribsea bimini pink and ocean direct live sand. I didn’t realize the bimini sand had the quartz in it but it looks really nice imo. For the light I don’t have any coral yet so I’m just using a very basic led planted aquarium light but plan to upgrade overtime. I do have some saltwater acclimated mollies and guppies for now, and I added some fritz turbostart 9 to help kickstart the cycle. The rocks had been curing for about a month and should be cycled.
Custome built the tsand from 2x4s and scrap wood. Multiple coats of outdoors grade paint for hopeful longevity. It’s 18”x30” and 36” tall and had caster wheels making maintenance and movement much easier! I still plan to mod the stand for better equipment mounting and add removable sides/doors etc.

I’m still putting together a stocking list but for sure would like to get an ocellaris clown and pistol shrimp/goby combo. For corals I want to start with some easy ones such as a toadstool leather, gsp, pulsing Xenia, some mushrooms and maybe zoas.

Any feedback welcomed and appreciated! I’m still very new to the reefing world :)

IMG_3398.jpg IMG_3409.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
crannon

crannon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update 2:
Scape complete. Cured rock and live sand added. First fish added: 2 saltwater acclimated mollies and 2 female guppies.

IMG_3446.jpg IMG_3455.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
crannon

crannon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update 3:
First corals added: zoas, galaxea, sympodium (was sold as gsp). First inverts added: red leg hermits, astrea snails, emerald crab. Bi color blenny added.

Attachments

• IMG_3476.jpg
    IMG_3476.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_3474.jpg
    IMG_3474.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_3512.jpg
    IMG_3512.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_3530.jpg
    IMG_3530.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 45
OP
OP
crannon

crannon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update 4:
Installed glass lily pipes for canister filter greatly improving the aesthetics. Unfortunately during maintenance period I lost both mollies, perhaps from stress? The guppies, blenny and inverts were unaffected. At this point "ugly stage" algae had started.

Attachments

• IMG_3494.jpg
    IMG_3494.jpg
    278.4 KB · Views: 43
OP
OP
crannon

crannon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update 5:
Firefish goby added, additional hermits added, cerith snails added. Sadley lost the emerald crab. Finally installed a reef light, went with the Smatfarm g5. Really solid light and features for the price imo. Ugly phase is in full swing, lots of diatoms. The tank receives quite a lot of ambient light from windows, I'm sure that's not helping. Beginning to regret the clear lily pipes and tubing.
IMG_3578.jpg

Stephen8169301

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
Update 5:
Firefish goby added, additional hermits added, cerith snails added. Sadley lost the emerald crab. Finally installed a reef light, went with the Smatfarm g5. Really solid light and features for the price imo. Ugly phase is in full swing, lots of diatoms. The tank receives quite a lot of ambient light from windows, I'm sure that's not helping. Beginning to regret the clear lily pipes and tubing.
IMG_3578.jpg
Really love this rock and scape

OP
OP
crannon

crannon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update 6:
Installed tunze ato. Hopefully it will help keep the salinity stable. The galaxea coral isn’t doing so hot, and the sympodium isn’t doing much better. I did about an 80-90% water change and switched to reef crystals salt. Hoping to see an improvement. Per a suggestion I adjusted the lights to a more blue spectrum. Don’t mind the netting on top held by clips, I’m having to make a new lid to fit since I added the light and ato.

B00BD115-C428-4FFD-AE28-BDA9C1B8410E.jpeg

OP
OP
crannon

crannon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update 7:
Hit the jackpot! Met a local reefer who shared some amazing frags for a very reasonable price. Mushrooms, zoas, leather even some SPS. Hopefully everything pulls through since my tank is so new. So far everything has opened up and looking good. I'll try to get some good pics soon.
IMG_3604.jpg

OP
OP
crannon

crannon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some more pictures. I'm still moving some of the corals around, for example the zoa colonies I moved out of the sand after this. I need to get an orange filter so I can get better pics...
IMG_3632.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3631.jpg
    IMG_3631.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_3625.jpg
    IMG_3625.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_3627.jpg
    IMG_3627.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_3628.jpg
    IMG_3628.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_3629.jpg
    IMG_3629.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_3633.jpg
    IMG_3633.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_3634.jpg
    IMG_3634.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 31
OP
OP
crannon

crannon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update 8:
Sad update this time. Lost the bi color blenny. I'm 99% sure it was gill flukes as he was flashing quite a lot. I tried treating him but unfortunately about a week later he got worse and I couldn't save him. Pretty dejected about this and worried about my surviving livestock. I think at this point I'll remove the fish and treat them in QT, leaving the DT fallow for 90 days.
On a positive note the new corals seem to be doing well, I haven't lost any even the sps.

Edit: Well to add insult to injury I lost both guppies as well. I found one stuck in the filter intake and the other is just mia. So now the only fish in tank is the firefish. I'm going to remove him and treat in QT so I don't lose him as well. Hoping leaving the tank fallow will help.

Attachments

• IMG_3602.mov
    34.3 MB
Last edited:
OP
OP
crannon

crannon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update 9:
No more fish in the DT. Moved the firefish to my QT with my banggai cardinal. Thankfully both seem to be holding up ok. They are on round 2 of 3 with prazipro. Plan to leave the DT fallow as long as I can stand haha.

Dosed the DT with reef flux to help with the hair algae issue. It's been about 1 1/2 weeks and the hair algae has almost completely melted! Also cut back on light intensity and duration.
Corals are doing ok. The galaxea even seems to be doing better. It's not fully open again but I'm hoping once the treatment is finished, do a big water change and add chemi pure to clean up the water it will fully bounce back.

I had a small fluval wavemaker but upgraded to the nero 3 and LOVE IT. I set another up on my freshwater planted tank to help with circulation. Lots of exciting equipment coming in too. I purchased a USB microscope to help identify pests/algae and get awesome close up shots. Also ordered a color correction filter for my macro lens and phone. Finally I ordered some wyze cameras so I can keep an eye on my DT and QT while at work. Very excited to set those up.

On another note I've decided to completely re-plumb the canister filter. The current clear PVC tubing and inlet/outlet look awful. I want to hard plumb as much as possible and place the inlet/outlet on the same side of the DT. So that's the next big project. Also still need to make the side panels for the stand and tidy up the wiring and mounting. It's coming together though. After those projects I need to refine my water mixing station and test area. I've acquired so much stuff I really need a space to just leave the equipment set up full time. I see now why serious hobbyists have dedicated rooms for this lol.

DSCF0870 (2).jpg rasta zoas

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 30.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back