First Reef Tank Build: Reefer 250, WB Marine x 90.3, or ?

hikebikebrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!

New Member here. Have been in and out of the aquarium hobby for 10+ years, first marine aquarium set up a year ago. I've convinced my other half to let me start a reef tank, so now i'm starting to think about my options.

After reading through a few posts, threads and watching HOURS of youtube, i've started forming some of my own opinions. Now that i'm a member, i wanted to start a thread to get all of your opinions.

I like the form factor / size of the reefer 250 and the WB 90.3. So thats the size i'd like to go with. Between these two, i think I prefer the WB and i like that i can get the Plus with the AI lights.

I'm not really a big fan of either of their sumps, but i do prefer the WB. I really dont like the Reefer's ATO resivoir. I've wondered if the WB could be notched to create a fuge - anyone try that?

I also like the oak color of the WB, nice to see something other than simple black or white.

What experiences have people had? I know the reefer has been around for a while and seems tonhave had some build quality issues. What else should i consider? Any other tanks in this size (non AIO) i should look into?

Once i decide what tank to start with, i'll atart a build thread to jump into all the other fun details of planning. Thanks in advance.

Kyle

R33fDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in your exact situation when I bought my aquarium. I decided to go with The Redsea Reefer 250 instead of the Waterbox. I love the Redsea and it was the best decision I made. If you any questions about it let me know.

jblasi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!

New Member here. Have been in and out of the aquarium hobby for 10+ years, first marine aquarium set up a year ago. I've convinced my other half to let me start a reef tank, so now i'm starting to think about my options.

After reading through a few posts, threads and watching HOURS of youtube, i've started forming some of my own opinions. Now that i'm a member, i wanted to start a thread to get all of your opinions.

I like the form factor / size of the reefer 250 and the WB 90.3. So thats the size i'd like to go with. Between these two, i think I prefer the WB and i like that i can get the Plus with the AI lights.

I'm not really a big fan of either of their sumps, but i do prefer the WB. I really dont like the Reefer's ATO resivoir. I've wondered if the WB could be notched to create a fuge - anyone try that?

I also like the oak color of the WB, nice to see something other than simple black or white.

What experiences have people had? I know the reefer has been around for a while and seems tonhave had some build quality issues. What else should i consider? Any other tanks in this size (non AIO) i should look into?

Once i decide what tank to start with, i'll atart a build thread to jump into all the other fun details of planning. Thanks in advance.

Kyle
I am a previous RS 250 owner. Then I switched to WB. I would pick the WB. IMO the cabinets have better construction and they are coated on the inside to prevent bubbling in the wood from moisture. On my RS250, I removed the ATO system all together because it just didn’t function well. I installed my own reservoir with a Neptune ATO. I have also found it much easier to tune the WB’s overflow to cut out the noise. With my RS it would constantly become noisy and I would have to adjustments a few times a month. I really have nothing back I can say about my WB other then the fact that I wish it had a roller mat option as I just hate socks.

R33fDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a previous RS 250 owner. Then I switched to WB. I would pick the WB. IMO the cabinets have better construction and they are coated on the inside to prevent bubbling in the wood from moisture. On my RS250, I removed the ATO system all together because it just didn’t function well. I installed my own reservoir with a Neptune ATO. I have also found it much easier to tune the WB’s overflow to cut out the noise. With my RS it would constantly become noisy and I would have to adjustments a few times a month. I really have nothing back I can say about my WB other then the fact that I wish it had a roller mat option as I just hate socks.
My Redsea Cabinet is coated and I hate Socks lol. It was the first thing I got rid of, now I just use filter floss.

OP
OP
hikebikebrew

hikebikebrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in your exact situation when I bought my aquarium. I decided to go with The Redsea Reefer 250 instead of the Waterbox. I love the Redsea and it was the best decision I made. If you any questions about it let me know.
How long have you had it set up? What made you go with the 250?

OP
OP
hikebikebrew

hikebikebrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The gate valve was one of the other things i like about the WB. So, your experience is that the WB's is quieter? Thats what i expected.

R33fDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had it set up? What made you go with the 250?
Better overall Quality, especially the glass. It also has a slimmer build that just looks cleaner. The Auto Top Off sits nicely on top of the sump which I like. The sump design is a plus also, I have room for a refugium and I can set my filtration any way that I like; without using socks.

Below is a picture of how I currently have my sump.
20210413_111519.jpg

OP
OP
hikebikebrew

hikebikebrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started a build thread here:

R33fDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@R33fDaddy Just saw you have the Icecap k1-100 skimmer! How do you like that? Thats on my short list on on my build thread.
It's rock solid and super quiet, I haven't had any problems with it at all. I like that the pump fits inside on the skimmer base and that gives it a small foot print. I dry skim and only have to empty the cup once a week. Really glad I didn't spend $300 on a skimmer cause this things gets the job done. My cousin got one not to long ago and now they are on sale https://amzn.to/33HJBrg

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any advice on getting it tuned ?

Mine Is god awful - its been running for about a year now. It overflows at the slightest of changes. I have an ATO that keeps my water level rock solid, but whenever I adjust the twist adjuster it seems to have no impact other than overflow. I have it in the recommended water level so I'm not sure.

The tank is 1.5 years old at this point and tbh I've taken it offline last week to avoid the hassle. It's a 30 gallon frag tank with 15 gallon sump. 3 fish and all coral

R33fDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any advice on getting it tuned ?

Mine Is god awful - its been running for about a year now. It overflows at the slightest of changes. I have an ATO that keeps my water level rock solid, but whenever I adjust the twist adjuster it seems to have no impact other than overflow. I have it in the recommended water level so I'm not sure.

The tank is 1.5 years old at this point and tbh I've taken it offline last week to avoid the hassle. It's a 30 gallon frag tank with 15 gallon sump. 3 fish and all coral

Sure, if you have an extra air valve (or something like it) you can drop it in the air return chamber (not sure what's its actually called) this will lessen the air going into the pump and give you more control.

If that doesn't work you can build a little stand out of egg crate to fine tune it even more. You want it to be high enough so that when you turn the water level control knob all the way down that it prevents it from overflowing no matter the water level, this will come in handy when you do water changes.

You can also put small markings on skimmer so it's easy to return to your exact see tings once you've tuned it.

I've attached pictures of how I have mine set up including a picture with the water level I have it running at.

Once you get it going you should have a consistent flow of thick foam at the top of the collection cup and you want your bubbles breaking right before they enter the neck of the skimmer.

I typed this out quickly so I'm sure I have typos lol. Ask me any other questions you have :)
20210607_211250.jpg
20210607_211314.jpg
20210607_211340.jpg
20210607_211358.jpg
20210607_211501.jpg
20210607_211501.jpg
20210607_211948.jpg

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, if you have an extra air valve (or something like it) you can drop it in the air return chamber (not sure what's its actually called) this will lessen the air going into the pump and give you more control.

If that doesn't work you can build a little stand out of egg crate to fine tune it even more. You want it to be high enough so that when you turn the water level control knob all the way down that it prevents it from overflowing no matter the water level, this will come in handy when you do water changes.

You can also put small markings on skimmer so it's easy to return to your exact see tings once you've tuned it.

I've attached pictures of how I have mine set up including a picture with the water level I have it running at.

Once you get it going you should have a consistent flow of thick foam at the top of the collection cup and you want your bubbles breaking right before they enter the neck of the skimmer.

I typed this out quickly so I'm sure I have typos lol. Ask me any other questions you have :)
20210607_211250.jpg
20210607_211314.jpg
20210607_211340.jpg
20210607_211358.jpg
20210607_211501.jpg
20210607_211501.jpg
20210607_211948.jpg
This is going to be helpful - I see several changes. I wish I didn't have so many pineapple sponges as your sump is sooo clean.

Where did you get that valve ?

R33fDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is going to be helpful - I see several changes. I wish I didn't have so many pineapple sponges as your sump is sooo clean.

Where did you get that valve ?
My air valve came off of my Redsea Auto Top off as it wasn't needed.

You can get them pretty cheap on Amazon and they make a big difference.

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My air valve came off of my Redsea Auto Top off as it wasn't needed.

You can get them pretty cheap on Amazon and they make a big difference.
You're a legend ! Just ordered. I'm gonna give the skimmer a full clean and try these new tricks before ditching it all together.

Do you think my bioload just isn't enough ?

R33fDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're a legend ! Just ordered. I'm gonna give the skimmer a full clean and try these new tricks before ditching it all together.

Do you think my bioload just isn't enough ?

The skimmer does need to break in a little bit; mine ran wild for about 6 weeks which forced me to come up with these hacks lol. If you build the little stand you won't have to worry about the break period because you'll easily be able to turn your water level all the way down. Bioload does make a difference but your tank is over a year old so I'm sure you'll be producing some good skim mate soon. My cuz has a much more expensive dc skimmer that doesn't work nearly as well lol. Being able to somewhat control the amount of air going into the pump (which is what dc skimmers do) makes a huge difference.

Let me know how it goes when you start trying some of these adjustments.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back