First Reef Tank Build: WB Marine X 90.3

hikebikebrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! Just pulled the trigger and puchased my first brand spankin new tank. This will be my first go at reefing, and my second marine tank (have a 120 gal, 1 yo). I think i will eventually make it mixed, but will start off with easier/more forgiving LPS.

So far i've only purchased the tank + stand (oak finish), AI Prime 16HD x 2, 60 lbs of rock and a Sicce Syncra Silent 4.0 return.

Super excited to start getting all the remaining needs and wants and set the tank up! So, i'm looking for some help / recommendations:

Protein skimmer: i have a RO on my 120 and like it, but am open. Any suggestions for this size tank?

ATO: thinking Tunze ?

Power heads: how many, size? I've been using cheaper Amazon ones.. anyone want to talk me out of that?

Controller: thinking Apex neptune given its popularity and features. But im open to other ideas? I LOVE data (nerd alert) and would like to automate as much as possible.

Think thats most of my open questions. Think im settled on a few other things (sand, heater). Anything other items reefers would suggest for 1st timers?

Thanks!
Kyle

OP
OP
hikebikebrew

hikebikebrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking at the Icecap / Coralvue K1-100 skimmer as an option. It looks like it has a really small footprint, and i like the asthetics and build from what i can see. Anyone with experience with this one?

It looks like it has an AC pump. I think for a small skimmer, that should be fine. No?

OP
OP
hikebikebrew

hikebikebrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also looking at the Icecap K2 Gyre pump for flow. I like the wifi connectivity and the Apex control feature. Debating if its worth the $200 to do this, or just got with a $90 Jebao Gyre or traditional wavemaker pumps. Thoughts?

R33fDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also looking at the Icecap K2 Gyre pump for flow. I like the wifi connectivity and the Apex control feature. Debating if its worth the $200 to do this, or just got with a $90 Jebao Gyre or traditional wavemaker pumps. Thoughts?
I personally like the Echotech MP10, they are super quit and having no wires in your tank is a huge plus for me.

OP
OP
hikebikebrew

hikebikebrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally some progress to post: still waiting on the tank from Waterbox. Its been 2 weeks since i ordered and they say it should ship out 4-6 weeks after.

In the meantime i've gone and purchased the Icecap k1-100 skimmer, hyger 500w heater and some epoxy and CA for the rockwork.

20210525_110431.jpg

OP
OP
hikebikebrew

hikebikebrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant believe how small this skimmer is. Its a baby next to my RO 202S!

Still debating what to do about flow. I have a handful of extra powerheads so thats the easy route. I really like the idea of a gyre though.

If i went the gyre route, trying to decide where to go. I think i'd like the concealed look of two along the top back split by the return to give a forward to back circular flow.

If i did this, i'd need to buy 2 gyres. Hard to see much difference between the Maxspect amd Icecap 2k's. I'm torn between what seems like a nice phyaical programming box on Maxspect and the convenience (and allegedly cumbersome) use of Hydros. Also in the mix is Jeabao's gyre's at half the price with a lot of good reviews. Any experienced users want to chime in?

R33fDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally some progress to post: still waiting on the tank from Waterbox. Its been 2 weeks since i ordered and they say it should ship out 4-6 weeks after.

In the meantime i've gone and purchased the Icecap k1-100 skimmer, hyger 500w heater and some epoxy and CA for the rockwork.

20210525_110431.jpg
You can put an air valve in the air intake of the return pump. This will allow you to control the air and get a better skim. What tank did you end up getting?

20210525_214610.jpg
20210525_214614.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
hikebikebrew

hikebikebrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally!!!!!!!
Tank is shipped! Will be delivered next Wednesday!

Now time to round out the last little bits...
purchased 60 lbs of Fiji Pink sand - delivered yesterday
debating a gyre pump... looking at an icecap 2k - any thoughts on gyres / icecap / maxspec?

OP
OP
hikebikebrew

hikebikebrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found a guy on FB selling a brand new Tunze Osmolator, phosban reactor, and a skimz algae reactor for a crazy good price... couldn't resist. Guess I can check off the ATO and possibly have the macro situation under control.
Anyone have experience with an algae reactor? good / bad ?

OP
OP
hikebikebrew

hikebikebrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have to say,i am impressed with the pqcking from waterbox! The Oak stand looks really nice too! A bit lighter than expected, but really nice. I thought the build and instructions were pretty good too. Could use a little more annotation on the drawings though.
20210630_154331.jpg
20210630_172442.jpg

OP
OP
hikebikebrew

hikebikebrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made some really good progress over the long weekend.
Stand assembled and leveled
Tank placed on stand and plumbing installed
Aquascaped
Sand added
Water added
Power on and flow adjusted

The pump provides what i think is too much flow through the returns. So i'm going to install a T with a few valves to return back to the sump / provide flow to accessories. That should help calm the return torrent.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 146 88.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back