OP
muzikalmatt

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That brain looks amazing! Do you have a problem with the rock flower moving around? My wife has one in hers and it will not stay put. It wants to move on top of another coral.

Thanks! It's a platygyra brain coral and one of the first corals I added to the tank. It was about the size of a quarter when I got it and now it's about the size of a softball cut in half.

Surprisingly, I haven't had much issue with the rock flower moving. When I first got him I tried keeping him on the sand bed but he moved around a bunch. Once I put him on the lower ledge of the rock work, he moved over maybe 3" to that specific spot and has been there ever since. I actually have a second one that's right next to him, but it's hard to get a picture because it basically faces the back of the tank. I think the key is not too much lighting and not too much flow and they'll stay put. Hope that helps!

OP
OP
muzikalmatt

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took some videos of the tank recently and figured I would share some of the more interesting ones.

Here's one of the feather duster coming out of his tube.

Last edited:

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Murica See if these videos work for you. Sorry that they're vertical. ;Facepalm

meh it is what it is, i can imagine it and it’s glorious.. ha. I think only YouTube vids work for us

OP
OP
muzikalmatt

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took some macro shots over the weekend with the Polylab macro lens. I hadn't really used it before, but I think it does a pretty good job considering it's just a magnifying lens on a phone camera.

WWC My Clementine Zoas (bought these during a live sale a little over a year ago with 5 polyps)
0516201632.jpg

Bubble Coral
0516201631d.jpg

Sunny D's (started as one polyp I bought from my LFS)
0516201631a_HDR.jpg

Utter Chaos (also started as one polyp from my LFS)
0516201631c.jpg

Coco Worm
0516201631.jpg

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good. :)

Sunny D and Chaos are fast growers.

OP
OP
muzikalmatt

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after over 5 months of no new corals, including no visits to the LFS, I made a bit of a splurge. I picked up 5 corals in the recent WWC Live Sale, a Starburst Monti Cap and a random four pack. I also went the LFS to pick up some frozen food and snails, and ended up leaving with a new frogspawn head as well.

tumblr_m1obhaFXos1rn95k2o1_250.gif

Below are some pics of the new frags. I had to break out the frag rack to make some room.

From front to back: jedi mind trick monti, bullseye micromussa, cactus pavona (with a trochus snail on it), glitter bomb favites, and starburst monti
0528201858a.jpg

And here's one of the frogspawn head
0529201854.jpg

Here's a second one of the frogspawn with the polyplap lens filter on.
0529202210c.jpg

I'm really digging the frogspawn already, and it'll be interesting to see what the WWC frags grow into. I think the bullseye acans are going to look sweet! Everything seems pretty happy in the tank so far. I'll probably leave them on the frag rack to grow for a bit before finding a spot for them.

OP
OP
muzikalmatt

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it's been a bit of a ride for my tank in the past 24 hours. Last night while doing a water change I bumped the birdsnest with my elbow and broke it off the rockwork at the base. It had previously died off a bit, but was growing back so I figured I'd take the opportunity to frag it up and see what happens, especially since I already had the frag rack setup. Below are the results of my impromptu frag session.

I tried to save all of the branches that looked they had healthy growth/polyps on them and ended up with 5 frags.
0531202242a.jpg

Then tonight as I was looking at the tank, I noticed I had flatworms. Aaaaaaaaarrrrgh! I'm thinking I have both red planarias and acoel flatworms, but I'm not too sure. Take a look at the pictures below and let me know what you think. So far, I haven't seen any on the corals and I looked for a looong time, but I still want to be proactive about them. I'm planning on picking up a yellow wrasse and maybe some flatworm exit to combat these little guys. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

0601201922a.jpg

0601201933b.jpg

OP
OP
muzikalmatt

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the flatworms don't seem to be bothering anything for now, so I'm not as worried as I was initially. I may still pickup a wrasse to keep their population at bay. I always wanted a wrasse anyways so this kind of gives me an excuse to get one. Some of the frags I got from WWC weren't doing so hot on the frag rack, so I've moved most them to the sand bed as I suspect I was overlighting them. We'll see if they recover. All of the other corals in the tank are super happy and the birdsnest frags are already growing out again, so that's good.

I took a few shots of some of the happier corals recently. Check them out below.

Utter Chaos

0613202134.jpg

Fungia Plate Coral
0613202135f.jpg

Frogspawn
0613202135e.jpg

Duncan (up to 10 or 12 heads after starting with one)
0613202135c.jpg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back