First Reef Tank - Red Sea Max e260

jmwils1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After years of freshwater we decided to go for a reef tank. The Red Sea 250/260 fit the space well and we liked the aesthetic of the tank/stand. I wanted to go for the more traditional sump but given this was a first try decided that limiting equipment options might be a benefit as the product availability can be overwhelming and we just wanted to get something going. Additionally we need the storage space underneath. And we still have the option to add a lower sump later. Probably will be mostly soft and some LPS for now.

Equipment:
Red Sea Max e260 --- 56 gallon + 13 gallon rear sump = total 69 gallon capacity (realistically probably 67-68 gallons)
Red Sea ReefLED 90 --- stock 2 lights included with kit
Red Sea MSK900 skimmer --- stock
Red Sea (RS2700?) return pumps --- stock
Red Sea Reef Wave 25
Carib Sea LifeRock --- 16" Tree, Shroom and Medium Arch
Carib Sea Arag-Alive Fiji Pink --- 20 pounds
Aquatop 100W Titanium Aquarium Heater
Neptune Apex
Neptune ATK
Neptune AFS
Neptune Trident
Neptune LDK

Livestock:
2 Davinci Clowns
Blue Spot Jawfish
5 Trochus snails
2 Emerald Crabs
Xenia
Zoa - Jawbreaker Hornet? - new and hasn't really opened yet

IMG_8221.jpeg

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and congratulations on your new tank :)

OP
OP
J

jmwils1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Forgot to list the Red Sea net cover I added when the jawfish went in. That will stay in place until the cover I ordered from clear view lids comes in.

I brought a Fluval Spec V out of retirement for a QT but am going to set this up as a nano once I figure out a light and powerhead

OP
OP
J

jmwils1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive noticed that the tank temperature runs warmer than expected. Generally 78-80 and the heater is never on. I’m curious if changing out the return pumps would help. Really want to avoid a chiller

OP
OP
J

jmwils1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pisces EXO with options of cord slots in rear corners and feed door in front. I think the build time is around 19-20 weeks out from when I placed my order in September.

OP
OP
J

jmwils1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve since added:

Equipment:
Neptune DOS for Red Sea Alk and Calcium dosing
Neptune DOS for auto water changes
Ecotech Vortech MP40 with battery backup

Livestock:
Flame Hawkfish
Springer Damsel
2 conch snails
several hermit crabs
Brain coral (not sure which type)
Acan coral
Cabbage coral
Torch coral
Frogspawn coral
Plate coral
Colony with a bunch of Zoas and various soft corals

I had an anthias for about 2 weeks but she died after what looked like an infected scrape.

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pisces EXO with options of cord slots in rear corners and feed door in front. I think the build time is around 19-20 weeks out from when I placed my order in September.

Do you pay now or once it is shipped?

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assembled the DIY Red Sea lid but am not happy with my screen install ability's. I installed screen crooked , sags and even rip it in a couple of places. I does work but. Clear View Lid looks really nice. I just ordered a Pisces EXO with 4 cord cut outs and fish food door. Its a little pricey but looks to be worth it. Pay at check out.

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assembled the DIY Red Sea lid but am not happy with my screen install ability's. I installed screen crooked , sags and even rip it in a couple of places. I does work but. Clear View Lid looks really nice. I just ordered a Pisces EXO with 4 cord cut outs and fish food door. Its a little pricey but looks to be worth it. Pay at check out.

The red sea cover sucks. The dang thing falls in the water constantly. It twist, the screen comes out and just gets worse over time.

OP
OP
J

jmwils1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well unfortunately all the fish died last week. They developed some white patches and with a day were dead. I got three into a quarantine tank but they were too far gone. I’m assuming it was brook so I’m going to wait 6 weeks and try again. All the coral seems healthy. But this week I’ve developed some brown stringy stuff with some bubbles that is along the sand and rock. I guess that’s dinos. The nitrates and phos are low but not zero. Nitrate is 2-5 based on Red Sea test and phos is 0.06 based on Hanna. I’ve started a uv and have cut back the white light to see if it helps.

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well unfortunately all the fish died last week. They developed some white patches and with a day were dead. I got three into a quarantine tank but they were too far gone. I’m assuming it was brook so I’m going to wait 6 weeks and try again. All the coral seems healthy. But this week I’ve developed some brown stringy stuff with some bubbles that is along the sand and rock. I guess that’s dinos. The nitrates and phos are low but not zero. Nitrate is 2-5 based on Red Sea test and phos is 0.06 based on Hanna. I’ve started a uv and have cut back the white light to see if it helps.
Sorry to hear that.

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More than likely the Dinoflagellates will be gone within a week with a UV.

OP
OP
J

jmwils1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We now have a firefish and juvenile yellow tang back in. They are doing well. Also had another jawfish but after a week it jumped and started showing white patches so it is in a hospital tank on antibiotics. There are 2 clowns ready to go into the tank this week or next.

I finished building a controller cabinet and have it setup with a DOS for Alk/Ca and another DOS to do AWC. These will be weekly 5 gallon changes using carboys that fit inside the stand. I also added a new ATO that fits inside the stand. I have a shelf that will go above the carboys for the Trident but it is currently sitting inside the controller cabinet.

Back