First salt tank

indianareefer13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife and I finally got our first salt tank after having fresh water tanks for years. It's a 125g with a 30g sump. A friend of ours gave us this tank for free, because she was wanting to get out of the hobby. It had a dottyback, 2 mocha clowns, a Sally crab, and some assorted corals. She had the tank for 3 years, and we've had it set up for about a month or so now. Any helpful advice for a newbie would be great.
I know I'm front of a window isn't good, but it's a North facing window under a screened in porch, so it's not getting much light.

I added a finished picture and a before picture.
1558269114338.jpeg
download_20190519_083412.jpeg

cgdcinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great tank! Congrats!
I wouldn’t worry about the window so much. Both of my tanks are next to windows and they love the natural light in the mornings. Never had any algae issues in either.
I love your rock scape. Best of luck and enjoy!

Coralreefer1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6FEE93B6-07C5-465A-9A7E-450C0F4E98CD.png To R2R!!!!!!!!
Congrats on the new tank! You will be much happier with a salt water tank, in my opinion.
Best of luck to you with the new addition to the family...
I miss my 125 gal reef tank. Unfortunately, when I moved from Connecticut, I had to down size so now I’m stuck with a 4 gallon cube, a 10 gallon cube and a 14 gallon Biocube. I do have a 30 gallon cube predrilled with a sump but don’t have the room just yet. I miss my larger fish!
I guess if I didn’t have over 300 bottles of rums in my collection, it would open up some space...and then their is my Jack Daniels collection, and my Disney collection and oh, did I forget to mention my Single Malt Scotch addiction.? Darn it

OP
OP
I

indianareefer13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great tank! Congrats!
I wouldn’t worry about the window so much. Both of my tanks are next to windows and they love the natural light in the mornings. Never had any algae issues in either.
I love your rock scape. Best of luck and enjoy!
Thanks I am really enjoying it so far

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back