First salt water tank need help,thanks

Doge14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought my first tank yesterday (biocube32) and I got approx 20 pounds live rock and put in 30 pounds Caribbean sand and the water,I got from the fish store (approx 25 gallons went in) i also bought a ounce of fritz 900 turbo start. So they dint have any thing to test salinity so i ordered that, they told me the only thing I needed to tested right now was nitrite, nitrate and ammonia so I bought them test kits well I got everything in at 12 am and put in the bacteria. Well today at 5 pm I checked the ammonia 0,nitrite 0, nitrate 0 as well maybe 5ppm well one thing I forgot was to add a pecie of deadshrimp to feed off the turbo start I added and I couldn’t get anything today sense everywhere was closed will I be fine to add it a pecie of dead shrimp tomarrow or will the turbo start I added be gone or dead by then and I need to get another ounce? The store I got everything from wasn’t as helpful as I intended

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
yep they said it all,and,
welcome to the reef going to love it here!
lots of fun/info/fun/help/fun!!!
pics!!...we all love pics!!!!

RiversideReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
until you have added ammonia (or dead shrimp, ghost feeding), i don't think the bacteria will do anything. so to get your nitrogen cycle started you've got to introduce a source of ammonia.

i've just cycled my first salt water tank. i started with pure ammonia, and added bio-spira about 3 days later. it took 6 days total for ammonia and nitrite to drop to 0.

RobW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One day the tank will be crystal clear and the next it’ll be so cloudy you probably won’t be able to see the back panel. Patience. It’ll happen when it happens. Let it do its thing as well as letting it clear up on its own.
Ah yes! The first couple of days the tank is so pristine looking. Then comes the ugly algae stages. It takes time. But enjoy it!

OP
OP
Doge14

Doge14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the tips glad I found this website everyone’s really nice and helpful also for my media basket I have 3 compartments what should I put in them? I was thinking chemi pure, biomax rings and not to sure fit the 3rd slot any suggestions is helpful

splitting_lanes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the tips glad I found this website everyone’s really nice and helpful also for my media basket I have 3 compartments what should I put in them? I was thinking chemi pure, biomax rings and not to sure fit the 3rd slot any suggestions is helpful
id suggest not putting any chemical filtration in until the cycle is done

bio filtration that you’re going to keep would be good.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back