First Saltwater Aquarium, Please... give me your feedback

UDFxRookie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So brand new at this and reading more than my mind can swallow so I figured I post my setup online.
I have a 75 Gallon main tank and a 55 Gallon sump. The sump is setup to have a refugium section.
20191107_074106_HDR.jpg

Here's the products I have:
(2) 300 watt heaters - One in the suction portion of sump, one in the drain section so I have them at both ends of sump
Bio balls - placed in refugium as base vs mud or sand (not sure if that was a good idea or if they should be in the sock section to act as a filter
20191107_074121_HDR.jpg

(4) SunSun JVP Powerheads 800GPH (2 in main tank... one on each side with attempt at one pushing one way on backside, the other the opposite but at front side, 1 located in protein skimmer section.... 1 not in use)
20191107_074138_HDR.jpg
20191107_074147_HDR.jpg

Aquastation silent DC pump DC-12000 (80w 3100GPH)
20191107_074157_HDR.jpg

Drain and return are 1" PVC
All other plumbing 1.25" PVC
Pump return is open maybe 1/8 to slow the flow

Protein Skimmer is Reef Octopus Classic 110INT 4" internal which is off as the tank is newly setup.

So... that's where I'm at with a 6 pin and clownfish. Is the setup good.... any change recommendations, any recommendations or knowledge to impart? Let me have it. I don't mind criticisim, and looking forward to it so I can only get better and take care of my fish and soon to be coral/reef life.

Plans:
Obtaining more base rock then tossing in some live rock to get it all going live.
nano LED for refugium
LED light setup for top
Custom top hoods for both aquariums to help with evaporation

I think I may go with a smaller pump, hope was using a larger pump at its lowest level to give it more longevity but this pump is on its lowest setting and I have to keep the return valve shut almost 7/8 of the way for a smooth flow vs overpowering flow.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it is coming along very nicely. I would recommend more live rock if you are wanting corals. But, some people really like the minimalist view and go with minimal rock. If doing more rock, I'd recommend getting it now and curing it now in a bucket or tote for 30 days. Adding uncured dry rock directly to your system of minimal rock work may induce a mini cycle.

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also have to say more rock, but it's your tank and if it fits your long term goals then go with it. It's looking good! :)
The only thing that stands out at me is your electrical outlet. Water and electricity doesn't play well together, from the pic it doesn't look a like a gfi outlet. If it is fantastic, if not you might want to consider one.

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

How long has the tank been up and running?

mcdrichj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to reef2reef!!! You have a good start!! Here are a few things I noticed.

4 things about the sump.
1. It looks like your water level is a little bit high in the sump.
2. It looks like whatever you are using for baffles is a bit thin from the photo it looks like they are bowing. However this could just be the picture.
3. It looks like the baffle to the return chamber isn't sealed all the way up.
4. In general you want your return chamber to have a lower water level than the rest of your sump so you can keep a consistent water volume in the system to keep the salinity level more consistent when you have to top off with freshwater. If the level of the entire sump drops 1" if the sump is 36x20 then that is about 3 gallons of water. If the return chamber is 20x10 that 1" drop in water level would only be 0.86 gallons. There is 231 cubic inches to a gallon if you want to figure any of this out yourself.

I also agree with more live rock too.

wcroft987

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What direction are you heading in (reef or fish only)? Also what kind of lighting do you have planned?

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks nice.
Great advise above. Nitpicking, I wouldn't put a heater in the return section. It's the only part of the sump that has the potential to run dry. If that were to happen, you'd melt your heater and badly foul your water.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back