First saltwater need help kinda

Rexxxer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so i decide to try out a saltwater tank for the first time...im trying to stay cheap as i dont want to waste money if things dont work out so far i have the live rock/sand. 3 fish a coral banded shrimp and a few corals again im new to this ive been reading forums and whatnot but i dont understand all the abreviations ppl use...i kinda got impatient and threw everything in early buuuut so far so good i think im getting the brown stuff on the sand theres i think the copods on the glass or i saw something they could b snail eggs? Theyr everywere... My fish seem happy although my clown is weird but i read thats normal... I have a few frags theres a green mushroom and candy can frags but they were just scrap and very small im hoping theyl grow bigger eventualy and one more i dont know what it is...so what are a few things i should b aware of?

15662956496137907774056035506553.jpg 15662957326453589611499389755034.jpg 15662957972515392139238292433979.jpg

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Welcome 1.jpg

You aren't in too deep yet and you'll probably be OK. Just take your time from here on. The common old saying in reef tanks is: NOTHING GOOD HAPPENS QUICKLY IN A REEF TANK!!!

How long has your tank been up and running? How long has it had fish in it? Are you doing any water testing?

There is a lot of help here and you did good to get started here. Ask questions and you can learn a lot by searching and reading both threads here in the forum and the articles here as well.

Good luck.

OP
OP
R

Rexxxer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Welcome 1.jpg

You aren't in too deep yet and you'll probably be OK. Just take your time from here on. The common old saying in reef tanks is: NOTHING GOOD HAPPENS QUICKLY IN A REEF TANK!!!

How long has your tank been up and running? How long has it had fish in it? Are you doing any water testing?

There is a lot of help here and you did good to get started here. Ask questions and you can learn a lot by searching and reading both threads here in the forum and the articles here as well.

Good luck.
Its been running maybe a month fish 1 week frags same as fish yes the test strips i got are all right on the money everything seems to b so far so good...

OP
OP
R

Rexxxer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But i am curious about something i noticed on my glas last night im guessing the copeods or what not...but they are like teardrop shaped and flow with the current a little but theyr everywere and theyr are like white and clear

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!!
Ron gave some great advice! I’ll add get proper test kits not strips. For accurate and budget friendly I recommend Salifert. You’ll need a few different ones seeing you plan on having corals. Alk, Ca, Mg, Phosphate, and Nitrate kits as money allows. If your doing your 20% water changes religiously then the Phosphate and Nitrate kits would be the first ones to get and add the other 3 as money allows. There are a lot of people on here at all times of day and night so I highly recommend reading posts on here and asking plenty of questions as you start this awesome hobby.

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But i am curious about something i noticed on my glas last night im guessing the copeods or what not...but they are like teardrop shaped and flow with the current a little but theyr everywere and theyr are like white and clear
Oh that’s not good!!! That’s sounds like flatworms can you get a clear picture for us?
Did you dip your corals for pests before you put them in your tank?

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hitman could be correct, but it could be pineapple sponges as well. They stay small, are kind of oval and have some small tentacle like things on the free end (not stuck to the glass). As Hitman said, a photo or two would be hugely helpful.

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been so long ago that I’ve seen the pineapple sponges I didn’t even think of that. A picture will definitely help with saying good or burn it with a fire bomb!

OP
OP
R

Rexxxer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont even know what dipping is yet and i cant get a picture theyr so small and clear the camera wont pick them up...they almost look like an egg of some sort or maybe a type of algea growing im not sure ummm i know one of my rocks i got had alot of bristle worms in it and there was one tiny little snale crawling around the glass for a while but stayed tord the bottom mostly

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they look anything like these photos?
First is a great close up (remember, these are very small).

download.jpg

And then a wide shot shows them all over the pipe and glass.

download (1).jpg

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And is it normal that my mushroom closes up when i shut the light off

Most but not all corals, or at least the corals that we use in the hobby which have photosynthetic zooxanthellae (algae) inside the live coral polyp, will retract or shrink overnight.

OP
OP
R

Rexxxer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most but not all corals, or at least the corals that we use in the hobby which have photosynthetic zooxanthellae (algae) inside the live coral polyp, will retract or shrink overnight.
Thanks man but still no id on the white things i attatched the video and pictures

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The photo was no help, but the video looks like pineapple sponges to me. When you look at them close up, do they look at all like the photo I posted in post #10?

Maybe you could scrape a couple off the glass and put them in a shallow dish or bowl and get a better picture?

If they are pineapple sponges, they are OK. And it's common to have a bloom of them in a new tank. After awhile they will die off and you'll hardly ever see them again. It's a common new tank bloom that will go away as your tank matures and stabilizes.

OP
OP
R

Rexxxer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The photo was no help, but the video looks like pineapple sponges to me. When you look at them close up, do they look at all like the photo I posted in post #10?

Maybe you could scrape a couple off the glass and put them in a shallow dish or bowl and get a better picture?

If they are pineapple sponges, they are OK. And it's common to have a bloom of them in a new tank. After awhile they will die off and you'll hardly ever see them again. It's a common new tank bloom that will go away as your tank matures and stabilizes.
Ok sounds good no they dont look anything like the pic really buuuut i did see them like retracting very quickly then slowly coming out again if thats a normal behavior?

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check this thread out from @Seawitch All the acronyms used in this hobby. Very helpful. And the if is not an acronym that I’m familiar with ;Hilarious

Back