AquaCave

bert236

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Started my first saltwater tank around 3 weeks ago now. My parents had a couple when I was younger I vaguely remember but always had an interest in I guess fowlr tanks until I discovered how amazing coral tanks were this summer. Decided I wanted to do a mixed soft/lps reef instead. After a month or two of research I decided on the following setup:
Aqueon 65 gallon tank
Aqualantis elegance 36 stand
Reefbreeder Photon V2+
Seachem tidal 110
2x 200w eheim heaters
Inkbird heater controller
2x jebao sow-8 powerheads
Aprox 70-80lbs of Carrib sea flat rock and moani dry rock
Aprox 30lbs of carrib sea reef grade dry sand

used fritz and dr tims ammonia to cycle and currently have added one frostbite clownfish, one extreme gladiator, 10 mini blue legged hermits, 2 astrea snails and 2 trochus snails. Looking for suggestions on further stocking as my qt is almost done it’s cycle as well and hopefully will be buying the first fish for that in the next couple weeks.

E549CF39-E2D9-4E80-BC22-257D299D6812.jpeg
76F08106-97F7-43B4-9223-4C517D387A5D.jpeg
7C990805-3A1F-4868-BA46-FC49AC1EAC88.jpeg

A big thanks to everyone who helped out with all my questions on here you guys are amazing. So awesome to have so many knowledgeable people and such quick responses. I’ll keep updating as the tank does. Currently waiting for the paint to dry on the two lids then they will be installed by tomorrow night I hope.

Reef Chasers Aquaculture

coralreefdefender

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
First of all good job, it’s not every day people start a reefing hobby and ace it the first month lol!! As of stocking ideas with fish what are you interested in, do you want fancy and rare or common and cheap or even big or small. As for corals I would wait another month before adding any I would start off with some Duncan’s, mushrooms, zoas, Xenia, toadstools and so forth.

OP
bert236

bert236

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
First of all good job, it’s not every day people start a reefing hobby and ace it the first month lol!! As of stocking ideas with fish what are you interested in, do you want fancy and rare or common and cheap or even big or small. As for corals I would wait another month before adding any I would start off with some Duncan’s, mushrooms, zoas, Xenia, toadstools and so forth.
I’m far from an ace lol but I hope I’ve at least got the basics down for fish and corals. Spent a lot of time doing research so fairly confident but also stressed I’m gonna **** up. For fish stocking I was thinking mainly utility fish to compliment the invert cuc I will build up with maybe one fancy or rare fish for show but my interests are more in corals at this point. Plus less money spent on fancy/rare fish means more money for coral. I’m worried about how picky some of the classic fancy fish are about eating and how prone to disease some are so that’s another reason I’m not to crazy about it at this point.

for corals the plan is to wait another month or two until I get another couple fish and some more inverts through qt and settled in and I’m feeling more comfortable with that stuff. I’m thinking Zoas and mushrooms for sure to start. Maybe some gsp on an island up front or I have considered doing some Xenia but worried it will end up everywhere. Probably gonna go to Fragbox in Toronto and seeing what they can set me up with as a small beginner package then that way I get good care tips and the proper food etc if needed.

coralreefdefender

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
For the fish I would do a mandarin gobby those guys are beautiful and very peaceful there easy to keep as long as you have a huge stock of copopods “ forgive my spelling” because that’s all they eat. You have to have a blenny so I would do a lawnmower blenny they have great personality and also will eat some hair algae. You can never go wrong with fire fish, cardinals, or even the occasional wrasse. Also a good pair would be a watchman gobby and a pistol shrimp really good relationship and are both easy to keep.

OP
bert236

bert236

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
For the fish I would do a mandarin gobby those guys are beautiful and very peaceful there easy to keep as long as you have a huge stock of copopods “ forgive my spelling” because that’s all they eat. You have to have a blenny so I would do a lawnmower blenny they have great personality and also will eat some hair algae. You can never go wrong with fire fish, cardinals, or even the occasional wrasse. Also a good pair would be a watchman gobby and a pistol shrimp really good relationship and are both easy to keep.
Missed this somehow when you posted. I’m gonna wait for a Mandarin if I end up getting one. New to all of this so keeping up a good amount of pods in the tank just seems like one more complication right now but maybe once I get everything more stable. Then Blenny or goby/shrimp combo are two things I’m for sure doing so maybe I will just do those as my next two. They have a good healthy looking long nose hawk fish and a 6 line wrasse at my lfs but the wrasse is about 2.5-3” so I’m worried that’s to big for my 10g qt. I’ll have to look more into fire fish because I have seen some really cool looking ones I just don’t know much about them.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED lighting
OP
bert236

bert236

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
150C58CE-6D56-47C2-BC6F-B3E1EA87BFF5.jpeg

Just a small update. The gladiator clown had what looked like lymphocystis after a couple days in the tank but it has since cleared up and it is eating like a machine now and looking much happier. Had a few hermits die off and a snail which I couldn’t explain because everything else in the tank was and is still fine. Maybe just not enough food at first since I didn’t have any real algae growth yet. That caused a bit of a spike in ammonia, no2,no3 but dialed back the feeding for a few days and everything seems to be coming back in line now. As you can see from the picture the diatoms are in full force but I added 4 more astrea snails to help a bit and they did but it’s already starting to die off a bit so hopefully I’m past the worst of that. Going to be ordering some tests kits for all the parameters I don’t have and try to patiently wait for the tank to stabilize enough for corals.

OP
bert236

bert236

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Decided to setup a coral and invert qt as well so I’m currently up to 3 tanks lol. Went with a fluval evo 13.5 since it had everything i needed for a decent price. Hopefully the light will be good enough for the first round or two of corals going in then I’ll upgrade when I get to some more demanding ones. Left everything stock for now but I’ll upgrade stuff as I need it and add a power head when it’s ready for corals. Put in the left over sand and rocks for the inverts and filtration and will just use an egg crate rack above the rocks for corals. Worst case it will be very easy to swap out new rocks and/or sand if anything bad gets into the system.
BD91A5E3-21A4-454E-892B-30EA772BEEF7.jpeg

OP
bert236

bert236

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Really bad at updating this. Everything is going along pretty well minus a few hiccups. The one clown has a cloudy eye and my no3 and po4 have bottomed out at zero for a week now but hoping with the extra feeding and adding two new fish after they finish qt this week will help bring them back up a bit. Bought some corals and have gotten some really good deals so far and some nice pieces.
Bought all these frags for $40 from a local reefer. sorry for heavy blues in some they were the only good pics I had and I need a lens kit.
Frog skin acro I believe is what he called it. Small piece broke off when he was fragging I figured I’d save on the right side.
F594845A-8FD5-4660-B971-CFF5ABCB7C02.jpeg

10x Gatorade zoas, 5x scrambled egg zoas and one orange oxide
82173751-3CE2-43A5-BFD5-8D39514ADC56.jpeg

Goniopora
4FC7ADEE-01B8-4DFE-A46A-C40CC0242987.jpeg

Gsp
1B208EA3-1282-4980-9AFB-FF81C7EFF285.jpeg

And then picked up these at a couple local stores over the last few weeks

Duncan with one big head, one small head and a few tiny ones sprouting for only $7 somehow
AB09A0A1-5BC4-4A9D-9ABD-9C8CF7B3E814.jpeg

Neon candy cane
BAF675AA-BF04-442B-86BE-2602DC66C9D5.jpeg

Bi colour candy cane
4FF1FD03-D195-4E24-B41F-8A8EEDEB6145.jpeg

F80018A6-81F4-4E51-B14F-12EE7CF30682.jpeg

And a bad picture of a war coral

have some in the display but most are in qt right now. Looking forward to seeing them grow out and really hoping that acro survives. The guy just broke it off the main colony and it was $5 so couldn’t resist a tester acro at that price.

AquaCave Logo Banner