First saltwater tank and help understanding everything I am going to encounter

nick_rsa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Day everyoone.

hope everyone is well, I have decided to start the journey of a marine tank after keeping a brackish tank stable and healthy for around a year now. I managed to get my self an IM Nuvo 30 with the AIO in the back, it started running a few days shy of 3 weeks and I have used Seachem stability as recommended.

tonight i will test the water and level with A Red Sea test kit, but I a, quite confused as I have read various posts on the false ammonia levels. Once I have done the test I will post pictures of the results hopefully to get an idea of the tank is fish ready yet or to still wait.

thanks for all the help coming in the future with the new project.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Day everyoone.

hope everyone is well, I have decided to start the journey of a marine tank after keeping a brackish tank stable and healthy for around a year now. I managed to get my self an IM Nuvo 30 with the AIO in the back, it started running a few days shy of 3 weeks and I have used Seachem stability as recommended.

tonight i will test the water and level with A Red Sea test kit, but I a, quite confused as I have read various posts on the false ammonia levels. Once I have done the test I will post pictures of the results hopefully to get an idea of the tank is fish ready yet or to still wait.

thanks for all the help coming in the future with the new project.
Welcome!

You are on your way - glad you joined

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. Welcome.
I do not think any of us can tell you exactly the things you will encounter, but some of similarities go around. Algae outbreaks, dinos, cyano, aiptasia, watching the tank mature and bring out some beautiful life. We forget how remarkable that is sometimes.
Enjoy all of it. After all, who wants to be on a ride that just goes round and round when it can go up, down, side to side, backwards and forwards. Much more exciting.

DKPminus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome.. good that your prepared for testing. sounds like you’re cycling your tank now. The objective is to get a solid bacteria base to be able to break down ammonia to nitrites to nitrate. not sure what your set up for now, having live sand and live rock helps the process or even dry rock adds to surface area for bacteria to take hold. Once you add anything that produces ammonia you will get a spike, as the bacteria feeds on this and turns it into a nitrite spike. Both are not wanted in your tank. Once they are both broken down into nitrates and ammonia and nitrite test are back to 0 you should be good to slowly add to the tank. As you will find out, algae is a common annoyance. While cycling and for a while after I kept lights off and limited. Algae needs light. Bacteria does not. Still fairly new myself, about 4 months into my tank. But I managed to avoid the ugly algae stage. Good luck, as your tank matures there are a lot of experienced people here to help you along.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.4%
Back