First Saltwater tank - Fluval Flex 32.5 - Any Recommendations for upgrades?

gTrezona

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, we have our first saltwater tank up and running for a few weeks now and everything seems to be doing great. It has been running for about 3 weeks now, we've had the water tested and was told everything is great. I've been doing as much research as possible but still have a few questions. The lighting app for the fluval flex can get pretty specific and I'm not sure if i have it set up right. Anyone here that can help me out with how many hours I should be running the light along with the sunrise and sunset.

Any upgrades or additions that we should do to the tank?

Also we seem to have cloudy water along with some tiny little hair algae popping up over the glass. Any help with what we can do to fix that? Quick video of tank is attached.

Thank you all in advance

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey everyone, we have our first saltwater tank up and running for a few weeks now and everything seems to be doing great. It has been running for about 3 weeks now, we've had the water tested and was told everything is great. I've been doing as much research as possible but still have a few questions. The lighting app for the fluval flex can get pretty specific and I'm not sure if i have it set up right. Anyone here that can help me out with how many hours I should be running the light along with the sunrise and sunset.

Any upgrades or additions that we should do to the tank?

Also we seem to have cloudy water along with some tiny little hair algae popping up over the glass. Any help with what we can do to fix that? Quick video of tank is attached.

Thank you all in advance

reduce white light intensity, pull what hair algae you can by hand and add 2 of each snails such as :
Astrea
turbo grazer
nassarius
Cerith
Nerite

Also 6 Caribbean blue leg hermits which are tiny

Are you using Tap water from faucet or RODI water?
Is tank at or near a window?

OP
OP
gTrezona

gTrezona

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
reduce white light intensity, pull what hair algae you can by hand and add 2 of each snails such as :
Astrea
turbo grazer
nassarius
Cerith
Nerite

Also 6 Caribbean blue leg hermits which are tiny

Are you using Tap water from faucet or RODI water?
Is tank at or near a window?
Thanks for advice on snails, will get some asap. Also, have only used water from our local aquarium shop, no tap water. And yes there is a light next to the tank, I’m going to leave the blinds shut from now on.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks for advice on snails, will get some asap. Also, have only used water from our local aquarium shop, no tap water. And yes there is a light next to the tank, I’m going to leave the blinds shut from now on.
UV from sun very strong and I suspected this based on how soon hair algae formed. You can place a piece of black construction from Walmart on the side facing light and will end the uv rays

OP
OP
gTrezona

gTrezona

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UV from sun very strong and I suspected this based on how soon hair algae formed. You can place a piece of black construction from Walmart on the side facing light and will end the uv rays
Thank you, going to work on hat today. Any idea why the water just isn’t super clear? Should I add some more carbon to try to clear it up?

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Color of cloudy water is important. If it’s green, it’s an algae bloom with UV as one remedy. When cloudy water is white, it’s a bacteria bloom, more than likely feeding on excess DOC. Use granulated activated carbon media to remove DOC.

Are you carbon dosing your system?

With 3 weeks of experience, you don’t need to be considering upgrade. I suggest you start a tank thread to document your experiences. It would help us help you as well.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thank you, going to work on hat today. Any idea why the water just isn’t super clear? Should I add some more carbon to try to clear it up?
From the algae and sun UV, you likely have an algae bloom. Marinating clean filters and cutting the light alone will fix this

OP
OP
gTrezona

gTrezona

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the algae and sun UV, you likely have an algae bloom. Marinating clean filters and cutting the light alone will fix this
Thanks, I’m working on getting it under control. Do you think I should go dark for 24-48 hours? I have a few corals in the tank so not sure if that will be bad on them.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks, I’m working on getting it under control. Do you think I should go dark for 24-48 hours? I have a few corals in the tank so not sure if that will be bad on them.
Turn off at least white lighting for 3 days and use your room lights if needed as usual

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back