First saltwater tank, IM fusion 20

mattdumitrescu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey this is my first post and I'm looking forward to join this community and to get some suggestions to help my transition from fresh to saltwater. I got the IM fusion 20 starter kit from brs and so far happy with my purchase; had some issues with getting my order shipped and missing some stuff when I got it ,working on getting it figured out. But the stuff I purchased on top of what I already got was an Ai prime hd and live sand since I didn't receive it with my package.

I had the tank for 5 days and I added a pair of clown fish a couple days after I put dr.tims one and only. The fish are doing great and eating well. I only keep the lights on for a couple hours today at the lowest settings possible.

Some suggestions I was looking for was when i should start adding inverts, corals, and what utilitarian fish would do good in a tank this size. Also taking suggestions on what corals and fish that would do good in this tank.

20200804_204532.jpg

OP
OP
mattdumitrescu

mattdumitrescu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! A lawnmower blenny may working? I wouldn't add anything until your comfortable the tank has completely cycled.
I plan on waiting a couple more weeks before adding any other fish. Do you have any pointers on when to start adding corals? I'm finding a lot of different opinions on this when I read about it online.

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals I would say do at your own risk on what you are willing to lose. Maybe some zoas/softies now to get a read on things. I had my first corals 2 weeks after setting my tank up (zoa, candy cane and some Xenia). I added some sps a month in (monti spongodes) that didn’t do well and I’m just now getting it’s color back (8 months later).

It’s a fun little tank enjoy it! Maybe start a build thread on here to help document things.

OP
OP
mattdumitrescu

mattdumitrescu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals I would say do at your own risk on what you are willing to lose. Maybe some zoas/softies now to get a read on things. I had my first corals 2 weeks after setting my tank up (zoa, candy cane and some Xenia). I added some sps a month in (monti spongodes) that didn’t do well and I’m just now getting it’s color back (8 months later).

It’s a fun little tank enjoy it! Maybe start a build thread on here to help document things.
I'll try it out and see how it goes. how would u go to start a thread on your tank. trying to figure this out im new to forums in general

Fred2482

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on waiting a couple more weeks before adding any other fish. Do you have any pointers on when to start adding corals? I'm finding a lot of different opinions on this when I read about it online.

Once cycled and you have your parameters/flow/lighting where you need it i would add the most forgiving coral on your list to see how it goes.

Fred2482

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Build thread info:

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! I too transitioned from freshwater to saltwater via the IM20. It’s been an AWESOME journey. More to do than freshwater imo but super worth it.

Like the others said, I would wait to confirm it has cycled before adding anything else. I’ve had a bad experience with early invert additions, especially shrimp. Might be able to get away with snails first before hermits and shrimp. I’ve been able to add corals pretty quickly like LPS and softies when I restarted my tank, but they sulked for the first month or so as things stabilized. Now 4 months in they are happy and no casualties.

As for fish, I would recommend a royal gramma, fire fish, neon goby. Pretty cool little guys. Softy corals are good starters, but honestly not that much harder to keep LPS. Feel free to ask away!

My tank here.
4B5351BE-0B96-444D-BF10-A905D0A256BB.jpeg

OP
OP
mattdumitrescu

mattdumitrescu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! I too transitioned from freshwater to saltwater via the IM20. It’s been an AWESOME journey. More to do than freshwater imo but super worth it.

Like the others said, I would wait to confirm it has cycled before adding anything else. I’ve had a bad experience with early invert additions, especially shrimp. Might be able to get away with snails first before hermits and shrimp. I’ve been able to add corals pretty quickly like LPS and softies when I restarted my tank, but they sulked for the first month or so as things stabilized. Now 4 months in they are happy and no casualties.

As for fish, I would recommend a royal gramma, fire fish, neon goby. Pretty cool little guys. Softy corals are good starters, but honestly not that much harder to keep LPS. Feel free to ask away!

My tank here.
4B5351BE-0B96-444D-BF10-A905D0A256BB.jpeg
LFS has a good discount on corals because they are remodeling. Might stop by in a couple of weeks to get some zoas and candy cane corals.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 31 50.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 33 54.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 11 18.0%
  • None.

Votes: 14 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 6.6%
Back