First saltwater tank setup with a tank refurbish and stand build

rcfra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I recently setup my first saltwater tank and thought I'd share what I have so far.

tank.jpg

I've had simple freshwater tanks for several years and always wanted a saltwater setup but was under the impression that they were complicated. After a bit of reading and videos I realized that wasn't true (at least it doesn't have to be true) and I dove in. I found a cheap used 45 gallon acrylic hex tank on Facebook marketplace that was pretty scratched up. I spent time wet sanding this down with 500-3000 grit sandpaper and then buffing it out with a small buffing wheel and some Meguiar's PlastiX polish. It came out much better than I had hoped.

polishing.jpg

I also found 45 pounds of used dry liverock for $40 on Marketplace. While I was working on polishing the tank I put a few of these in a bucket of saltwater with an air hose for some circulation, added a couple ounces of BioSpira bacteria starter and several tablespoons of household ammonia (around 8ppm) in order to start culturing the bacteria on the rocks in order to get a head start on the tank's biology. I tracked the water parameters while I worked on the tank and the bacteria consumed the ammonia over a week and then I added an additional tablespoon of ammonia every few days to continue to "feed" them until I was ready to move the rocks to the tank.
bucket.jpg

I built a plywood tank stand to match the format of the hex tank.

stand-build.jpg

With everything ready I rinsed 40 pounds of CaribSea Aragonite Aquarium Sand, 10 pounds at a time and added to the tank. In order to stack the odds in my favor I decided to use boxed ocean water. I dont have an RO system yet and I realized that by the time I'd buy 45 gallons of even cheap RO water, it's really not that much more to just buy the boxed water.

Because I wanted to start simple, I went with an Aquaclear 70 HOB filter (largest that will fit the opening in the permanently attached acrylic lid with a prefilter on the intake pipe, foam filter and carbon pack. I also have a Jebao OW-10 Wavemaker with variable speed/patterns.

The 200 watt Eheim Jager heater has been fine except that the calibration is not even remotely close (like 8+ degrees off) but I was able to get it set over a couple days using a digital thermometer for reference. I'm planning to run at 74 degrees to minimize evaporation.

With a few of my bucket-cultured live rock, and then the rest of the dry live rock added I put in the remaining bottle of BioSpira and picked up two cool Occelaris clowns, a pretty Midas Blenny (he's super fun to watch, way cooler than we expected), and 5 tiny blue leg hermits. I'm watching the water parameters and will add additional stock in a couple weeks if I feel things remain stable.

clowns.jpg

blenny.jpg

Ph is about 8.1-8.2, Ammonia 0-trace, Nitrites .25, Nitrates climbed from 10-40 in the first few days and now fallen back to 20.

It's been a fun project and the whole family really enjoys coming to watch them. I'm right around $550 in at this point including stock so far, which I think is pretty good for a 45-gallon acrylic bargain build.

In a while I will upgrade the cheap basic LED light that came with the used tank with something reef-appropriate and would like to add a small assortment of easy corals. I also want to get the clowns a RBTA once I feel like things are stable.

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I recently setup my first saltwater tank and thought I'd share what I have so far.

tank.jpg

I've had simple freshwater tanks for several years and always wanted a saltwater setup but was under the impression that they were complicated. After a bit of reading and videos I realized that wasn't true (at least it doesn't have to be true) and I dove in. I found a cheap used 45 gallon acrylic hex tank on Facebook marketplace that was pretty scratched up. I spent time wet sanding this down with 500-3000 grit sandpaper and then buffing it out with a small buffing wheel and some Meguiar's PlastiX polish. It came out much better than I had hoped.

polishing.jpg

I also found 45 pounds of used dry liverock for $40 on Marketplace. While I was working on polishing the tank I put a few of these in a bucket of saltwater with an air hose for some circulation, added a couple ounces of BioSpira bacteria starter and several tablespoons of household ammonia (around 8ppm) in order to start culturing the bacteria on the rocks in order to get a head start on the tank's biology. I tracked the water parameters while I worked on the tank and the bacteria consumed the ammonia over a week and then I added an additional tablespoon of ammonia every few days to continue to "feed" them until I was ready to move the rocks to the tank.
bucket.jpg

I built a plywood tank stand to match the format of the hex tank.

stand-build.jpg

With everything ready I rinsed 40 pounds of CaribSea Aragonite Aquarium Sand, 10 pounds at a time and added to the tank. In order to stack the odds in my favor I decided to use boxed ocean water. I dont have an RO system yet and I realized that by the time I'd buy 45 gallons of even cheap RO water, it's really not that much more to just buy the boxed water.

Because I wanted to start simple, I went with an Aquaclear 70 HOB filter (largest that will fit the opening in the permanently attached acrylic lid with a prefilter on the intake pipe, foam filter and carbon pack. I also have a Jebao OW-10 Wavemaker with variable speed/patterns.

The 200 watt Eheim Jager heater has been fine except that the calibration is not even remotely close (like 8+ degrees off) but I was able to get it set over a couple days using a digital thermometer for reference. I'm planning to run at 74 degrees to minimize evaporation.

With a few of my bucket-cultured live rock, and then the rest of the dry live rock added I put in the remaining bottle of BioSpira and picked up two cool Occelaris clowns, a pretty Midas Blenny (he's super fun to watch, way cooler than we expected), and 5 tiny blue leg hermits. I'm watching the water parameters and will add additional stock in a couple weeks if I feel things remain stable.

clowns.jpg

blenny.jpg

Ph is about 8.1-8.2, Ammonia 0-trace, Nitrites .25, Nitrates climbed from 10-40 in the first few days and now fallen back to 20.

It's been a fun project and the whole family really enjoys coming to watch them. I'm right around $550 in at this point including stock so far, which I think is pretty good for a 45-gallon acrylic bargain build.

In a while I will upgrade the cheap basic LED light that came with the used tank with something reef-appropriate and would like to add a small assortment of easy corals. I also want to get the clowns a RBTA once I feel like things are stable.
Welcome to the money pit…. Oh I meant saltwater hobby lol!! Good job on everything so far but I’ll give you a couple tips that might help lol.

I would definitely coat the stand in a clear protective sealer after you paint it due to the fact that saltwater will rot wood fast!!! That brings me to another tip if this tank is against any Sheetrock of any kind put something between the tank and the wall! I had my tank against my wall for two years and pulled it back to move to a new house and found were the salt residue got on the Sheetrock and ate a baseball sized hole all the way down to the studs uhh. Last but not least plump your tank!!! You have no idea how much simpler it gets after you add a sump because the hob filters always seem to have problems with saltwater. And when you add a sump you don’t have to have any special equipment right away you can run some matrix rocks and carbon filter pads and filter socks which is cheap and it works fine for the time being and that way you setup in the feature!! Trust me and take my advice it will save you in the long run!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
R

rcfra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the money pit…. Oh I meant saltwater hobby lol!! Good job on everything so far but I’ll give you a couple tips that might help lol.

I would definitely coat the stand in a clear protective sealer after you paint it due to the fact that saltwater will rot wood fast!!! That brings me to another tip if this tank is against any Sheetrock of any kind put something between the tank and the wall! I had my tank against my wall for two years and pulled it back to move to a new house and found were the salt residue got on the Sheetrock and ate a baseball sized hole all the way down to the studs uhh. Last but not least plump your tank!!! You have no idea how much simpler it gets after you add a sump because the hob filters always seem to have problems with saltwater. And when you add a sump you don’t have to have any special equipment right away you can run some matrix rocks and carbon filter pads and filter socks which is cheap and it works fine for the time being and that way you setup in the feature!! Trust me and take my advice it will save you in the long run!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for the tips.

OP
OP
R

rcfra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple months under my belt. The tank is doing well. I bought an RO system from Amazon and it's made a huge difference in controlling algae growth, there's almost none now while previously the white sand would get very light patches every 2-3 days.

I do have one problem. My larger Occelaris clown seems intent on killing the slightly smaller one. They were totally peaceful for over a month and a half, until last week. I've now had to separate the smaller one twice in an isolation tank because the larger one beats on him non-stop and has been picking at his fins. The smaller one is submissive, but doesn't seem to matter. Any thoughts? The bigger clown doesn't bother any other fish in the tank.

Back