First saltwater tank

kadenwilson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my first saltwater tank, have had freshwater for a few years now and wanted to make the switch. Its a 24 gallon. Found a fellow reefer that was getting rid of everything for $300. I left half his media and sand in the tank then replaced the rest with fresh to help with the cycle process. Been sitting for about 24 hrs now. I know it needs to set a few more days before stocking and what not.

My question is stocking tho, what should i be looking to put in here?

DEF8FD15-1BBD-46E7-A1A8-E08E964DE7C3.jpeg

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you wanting to do just fish or a mix of coral and fish? for fish, I'd recommend clowns since they are good beginner fish. Zoas are a good coral to have in your tank too, nice looking and are pretty easy to maintain

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Testing kits should be first buy. Nitrate, phosphate and alkalinity to start. Salifert, red sea and hanna are good ones.

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! You will find any possible fish for your nano here --> https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/announcing-nano-aquarium-fish-compatibility-document.958538/

I would recommend some type of possum wrasse, I am a huge fan of pictus blennies so I would get one of them too and a goby or two to start off with. I wouldn't particularly recommend clowns because they can either be super nice and be an amazing fish or be super aggressive just depends on their personality ( Just from my experience )

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always start with a small cuc and a fish in the beginning and slowly grow from there as needed until you build a nice balanced ecosystem.
Zoas and mushroom corals are typically very easy to maintain and are hardy. Clownfish are hardy but some can be aggressive in a smaller tank depending on the variety. Plan from the begining on what you want to stock as some fish do better being introduced last.

OP
OP
K

kadenwilson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Testing kits should be first buy. Nitrate, phosphate and alkalinity to start. Salifert, red sea and hanna are good ones.
I got the saltwater master test kit. Going to test the water in the morning. Just wanted to get a idea on stocking.

HKesinger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my first saltwater tank, have had freshwater for a few years now and wanted to make the switch. Its a 24 gallon. Found a fellow reefer that was getting rid of everything for $300. I left half his media and sand in the tank then replaced the rest with fresh to help with the cycle process. Been sitting for about 24 hrs now. I know it needs to set a few more days before stocking and what not.

My question is stocking tho, what should i be looking to put in here?

DEF8FD15-1BBD-46E7-A1A8-E08E964DE7C3.jpeg
If you don’t have much in the realm of maintenance I would grab those things first. But some hardy fish I’ve had are chromis and clowns. I also really like purple firefish too.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back