First scape - stressed!

becky46

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! I'm setting up my first reef tank in a 20G WB cube. Apologies if this is a basic question.

I purchased dry rock and e-marco-400 from my LFS. I watched a bunch of tutorials online, but much of my scape ended up falling apart (I think I used too little emarco). I am now back at square 1 with a bunch of rocks that need to be put together with gray cement splotches all over them. Are there any recommended products here to create a basic scape (I am thinking an arch) to hold the rock together? This might be an even dumber question, but will all the gray cement be visible once the tank is up and running? I am wonder if it is worth going to buy new rock. Thank you!

gentlefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the long run, the cement will colonize with coraline algae and become part of the structure. If you work with cement, you really want to attach one rock to the next and wait 24 hours before proceeding. Prior to cementing you need to be able to put the rocks together and keep them balanced with and without cement, so that there is no move during drying. Your work time is very short, so be prepared. You can fasten things up by connecting 2rocks and 2rocks and cement to a whole the next day. My rock structure is cemented with grey cement as well (different manufacturer). Have fun! 0F7AD192-F94E-4CFB-9A59-004169ABA748.jpeg

CuzzA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure the rocks fit like a puzzle piece first. You can achieve this by chipping and grinding at the point of connection. Then you'll want to use the cement liberally. You can build it up in multiple batches. Put some in between and then cover both sides of the rocks like a sleeve. On the last layer use some tools to rough up the texture to make it appear more natural and eventually coraline algae will cover it.

If you look closely you can see how I made my scape doing the same process I described. Each Island is 1-3 rocks connected.

willieboy240

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watch brs nsa tutorial. He gives a lot of tips on how to build and mixing the Marco 400. It’s gotta be right or it’s hard to work with. Plus I used super glue then sprinkle baking soda on the glue. Be careful cuz a chemical reaction takes place. Work in a well ventilated area. Hope that helps.

DoomervilleG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As stated above, no reason to buy more rock! The cement will blend after the algae takes hold. I went through 3 or 4 different scapes - three of which happened AFTER I put livestock in the tank. (Not recommended, hah), before I found one I liked.

Robertellis30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8977C569-1C9A-4981-8284-803B5331A1A2.jpeg

Just spent 2 days doing this. First I use super glue with instant dry spray. Wait a day. Then reinforce the joints with cement.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Insta-set from brs sprayed on where you want the joint. Then a big glob of super glue gel, then spray more instaset on the other piece of your joint and hold tight for a few seconds. Then come behind that and pack in reef epoxy. Won’t come apart

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 48.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 12 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back