First softies in. How long till lights on?

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my first two Corals, one is a devils finger leather (I think) and the green one I forgot the name of already cause I was so anxious excited lol.

Now that I have em in there. How long should I wait to turn the lights on? Should I just wait till tomorrow morning schedule starts?

Also how many days should I wait before I move em around?

I feel like now that I have coral I forgot everything I learned haha

Ty R2R for all the inspiration and confidence!

20200812_151222.jpg 20200812_151146.jpg

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should have the lights on immediately. There is not need to have them off. If you wanted to slowly ramp up the lights you could but it may not be necessary. Also, place them where you want now so they can start getting use to their spots.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on your first corals! There's no turning back now. I agree with @Spare time. Put them where you want them and leave them for awhile. Let them get used to the new environment. Leathers tend to be pretty hardy.

You got this! Go back and refresh your research. It'll give you something to do while you're stressing over the new additions. ;)

OP
OP
Glass Algae

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on your first corals! There's no turning back now. I agree with @Spare time. Put them where you want them and leave them for awhile. Let them get used to the new environment. Leathers tend to be pretty hardy.

You got this! Go back and refresh your research. It'll give you something to do while you're stressing over the new additions. ;)

Haha yes that is great advice. It's what I did all day yesterday after I turned the lights on.

Unfortunatley I didn't get these messages till this morning so after I work out I will be placing then in their spots.

I ended up moving then to the center in more flow and they both immediately opened up and looked very happy.

PS kudos to you for taking precautions! The only other advice I can give for new corals is to dip them when possible before entering the tank.

I did dip! I didn't spend 3 mon5hs following protocols with acclimating light and curbing algae to cut corners now!!

Thank you all for the advice here's them with their polyps open.

IMG_20200812_194616_300.jpg IMG_20200812_194616_297.jpg

Wee Mad Arthur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha yes that is great advice. It's what I did all day yesterday after I turned the lights on.

Unfortunatley I didn't get these messages till this morning so after I work out I will be placing then in their spots.

I ended up moving then to the center in more flow and they both immediately opened up and looked very happy.

I did dip! I didn't spend 3 mon5hs following protocols with acclimating light and curbing algae to cut corners now!!

You don’t seem to be allowing any space for growth or expansion between the 2. Leathers grow pretty quick and get pretty large, you might want to put them much further apart. Just a thought :)

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be proud of yourself. You are doing more than probably 95% of people in this hobby to ensure a quality tank!

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats awesome!!!! Check out my build thread I have a bunch of unique soft corals, SOFTIES ARE THE SHIZZZZ love em!

Nice tank and welcome! If youre interested too I have a new reefing youtube I started that could be beneficial. See below.

OP
OP
Glass Algae

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t seem to be allowing any space for growth or expansion between the 2. Leathers grow pretty quick and get pretty large, you might want to put them much further apart. Just a thought :)

Yes! I realized that. They have been there since last night once I'm showered when I'm done working out I will be placing them on the rocks. I didn't know if I should slowly acclimate up the rocks like with other coral until the forums informed me to just stick em where they're gonna be. Will post pics after I move em! ☺

You should be proud of yourself. You are doing more than probably 95% of people in this hobby to ensure a quality tank!

Haha I spent like 3 months before my stimulus check came watching brs videos the idea of a tank crashing pest was a no go. I may not be able to qt but everyother precaution Including sourcing of coral will be meticulous!

Thats awesome!!!! Check out my build thread I have a bunch of unique soft corals, SOFTIES ARE THE SHIZZZZ love em!

Nice tank and welcome! If youre interested too I have a new reefing youtube I started that could be beneficial. See below.

I'd love to check out your yt! Dm me your channel name. I can't see sigs on mobile!

OP
OP
Glass Algae

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The left one may be Devils hand ( Lobophytum sp. ) or it might be a thick finger sinularia. The right one is probably yellow/green sinularia (finger leather).
THIS that's what he said! Ty for ringing that bell for me.

I believe the brown guy he called devils finger like you said and the other one I believe he just called Sinularia. The masks make it impossible to understand hahaha

OP
OP
Glass Algae

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love em. They get big quick i would give them at least a foot between each. Look to opening and healthy. Congrats .
Will do!

My tank is a Fluval 13.5 so a foot apart might put one in the shader part of the reef. They will be getting their own sides of the widest rock in there tho!

Guy at the store said I could just wedge the foot into a crevice and they'd hold. Is that about right? Or should I consider glue?

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do!

My tank is a Fluval 13.5 so a foot apart might put one in the shader part of the reef. They will be getting their own sides of the widest rock in there tho!

Guy at the store said I could just wedge the foot into a crevice and they'd hold. Is that about right? Or should I consider glue?

They will attach themselves, no need for glue unless you really want to do it. They can shed and be slimy so glue doesn't work well with them. They can also touch each other so keeping them far apart isn't absolutely necessary. If they are happy they will grow quickly. You may have to take the scissors to them in 6 months if you plan to have many other corals in your nano tank.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do!

Glue won't work with leather.place in hole and they will attach.

They get big. You'll have to frag often in a small tank. My largest devils hand is 15+ across and the same front to back.

OP
OP
Glass Algae

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will attach themselves, no need for glue unless you really want to do it. They can shed and be slimy so glue doesn't work well with them. They can also touch each other so keeping them far apart isn't absolutely necessary. If they are happy they will grow quickly. You may have to take the scissors to them in 6 months if you plan to have many other corals in your nano tank.

I Def plan on keeping some more coral. I move in 6 months so that will be a perfect time to frag these babies and send some to some other new reefers or maybe my lfs

Glue won't work with leather.place in hole and they will attach.

They get big. You'll have to frag often in a small tank. My largest devils hand is 15+ across and the same front to back.

Wow that is crazy! I didn't know the growth rate was like that. Coral has become like glassblowing to me. Everyday so much to learn and be awe inspired at.

You are all awesome tysm for all your knowledge!

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Def plan on keeping some more coral. I move in 6 months so that will be a perfect time to frag these babies and send some to some other new reefers or maybe my lfs

Wow that is crazy! I didn't know the growth rate was like that. Coral has become like glassblowing to me. Everyday so much to learn and be awe inspired at.

You are all awesome tysm for all your knowledge!
My finger leather was about that big before fragged it.
6 months till you move. Perfect timing for a larger tank upgrade

OP
OP
Glass Algae

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My finger leather was about that big before fragged it.
6 months till you move. Perfect timing for a larger tank upgrade
That's the plan exactly! I'm thinking 20g red sea cube? Maybe even a 40. I already regret not going bigger. I can see the advantages to a larger tank. I feel restricted by my tank size and live rock placement.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the plan exactly! I'm thinking 20g red sea cube? Maybe even a 40. I already regret not going bigger. I can see the advantages to a larger tank. I feel restricted by my tank size and live rock placement.
40 breeder is better and a great footprint to work with

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back