First SPS frags!

Stixbaraca

Zoanthid Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are a couple pics of my first 2 SPS frags I got today. Already have pretty good polyp extension. The guy I got them from kept them midway up under just PC lights...so needless to say they are on my sand bed under my MH!

OrangeDigi.jpg

PurpleDigi.jpg

Digi.jpg

greystreet41

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good stuff. monti digis are a good SPS start. The 2nd one is pretty sharp. Don't think I've seen that color before. The lightness on the tips is also positive as mentioned above...good luck!

twon8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i recommend using super glue gel instead of epoxy, just for ease of use and cost; also some epoxies can hurt sps by heating up during cure.

i have also had quicker growth when laying frags horizontally; they encrust on every part that touches and also get more light and grow faster, and look more like a colony sooner.

Reef Gardener

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second what twon8 says about the epoxy, unfortunately I learned from experience and lost my first two acros to epoxy heat. Now either I find a spot they are secure in or use superglue gel. Also have found that I like the 14k MH better, I did lose noticable color with the 10K -digi and spongeode both browned out, switched to the 14K and they are both coloring up, and it doesnt slow down the growth enough to make a difference that way.

OP
OP
Stixbaraca

Stixbaraca

Zoanthid Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. I am really psyched about them, and more so for what's to come! They guy I got them from mounted them with the epoxy unfortunately....I am a super glue guy myself!

Raptor

Angel Of Death
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a big enough frag the epoxy is fine i use quite a bit of it. Twon is right thoufg it heats up during cure and if the frag isnt big enough it will get cooked.JMO
I mounted my pimk lemonade acro with epoxy. Its tottaly encrusted over the big glob of epoxy.
almost a year and now i am finnaly getting vertical growth from it. :)
Nice pieces BTW Your now officially addicted to sps.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back