OP
OP
Maokin

Maokin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh bringing in the big guns :). Emailed unique corals (Joseph) he suggested it could be from my frozen fish food. I have been using frozen exclusively for many months now. He suggested switching to rods food for a month and see what happens. Currently I use Hikari misys brine and lrs reef refrenzy.

OP
OP
Maokin

Maokin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well been a while since I posted so figured it was time. Been quite a few changes.

Some tank shots
Fts
20200725_193638.jpg

20200725_193645.jpg

Radioactive hammer has 3 baby heads!
20200725_193647.jpg

Continue to have high chromium per Icp but it did go down which is a good thing. Still no idea what the source is.

The acros are doing OK. Pc rainbow is doing the best. Think it is starting to grow. The green slimer is currently shading itself and the shaded parts has bleached out. Going to give it another month or so and if it doesn't recover I might try mounting it a diffent way. The staghorn and wwc yellow tip seem to be growing a little but have not shown great polpy extensions.

Frags the neon sinularia the gorgoina and some of the zoas. Plan to grow them out a bit and trade in for more coral. Traded in 3 gorgoina today for a Kryptonite candy cane.

Sadly one of my emerald crabs died almost seems like it was killed by my other emerald crab. I believe they were getting aggressive towards each other I noticed some limbs got pulled off on both of them. Added 2 peppermint shrimp as aiptasia is making a come back and 2 small emerald crabs.

Have royal grama, orchid dotty back, designer clown fish and purple fire fish in qt currently. Will put them through prazi and copper power before added to the dt.

20200725_145254.jpg

Got a custom lid from top lids with a built in fiber optic light. With covid seems like the delivery took longer than normal. It took close to 2 months to receive it after I ordered. It does fit perfectly and is very nice. I was worried the night light was going to be too bright but It is not bright at all. It is powered by USB. I used the 24v accessory port on my eb832 with a 24v to 5v USB converter. So far it has worked great and I didn't burn a 110v port.
20200723_162907.jpg

Night time with the light on
20200725_230942.jpg

One of the heads on my dos broke had to get a new one. After replacing I am still having some problems with my auto water change need to open up a case with neptune. Some reason I set the program up to remove and add a specific amount and it doesn't add and remove as much as it is supposed to. Also my salinity probe seems to be shot of course right after the one year mark and the warranty expired. Have a case open will see what they say.

Got 4 new corals today one was free because I traded in coral. Here is what I picked up.

pink goniopora, pink montipora digitata, green and purple favia, Kryptonite candy cane

20200725_193634.jpg

Think I might be getting a handle on this coral thing

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Maokin I really like the Safe Top Lids. Right now I just have the Red Sea lid kit. Funds permitting I’ll get a Safe Top with moonlighting and an etched monogrammed “P” for Powers. I didn’t know the fiber optic moonlights were electrically powered. Do you have a link to your step down voltage transformer? I use these screw down 24V terminals to create two accessory outputs per jack port from Harry’s Aquatics. Doubles the number of accessories you can have.
955F41A5-71D6-4B71-983F-2AE03B9C87F7.png

OP
OP
Maokin

Maokin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Maokin I really like the Safe Top Lids. Right now I just have the Red Sea lid kit. Funds permitting I’ll get a Safe Top with moonlighting and an etched monogrammed “P” for Powers. I didn’t know the fiber optic moonlights were electrically powered. Do you have a link to your step down voltage transformer? I use these screw down 24V terminals to create two accessory outputs per jack port from Harry’s Aquatics. Doubles the number of accessories you can have.
955F41A5-71D6-4B71-983F-2AE03B9C87F7.png

Here is what I used.

Nice accessories cable. I got the official neptune one. It is really long. I have yet to tighty up the wires on mine. The cable on the lid is short which works our great for my application. The light has a flashing and short pulsing mode. Not really great for a reef tank. Luckily it remembers the light setting it was on after a power cycle or at least goes back to always on.

They have some promo codes out there that are still active. Forgot what one I used but check out YouTube for some reviews and you will find a code.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is what I used.

Nice accessories cable. I got the official neptune one. It is really long. I have yet to tighty up the wires on mine. The cable on the lid is short which works our great for my application. The light has a flashing and short pulsing mode. Not really great for a reef tank. Luckily it remembers the light setting it was on after a power cycle or at least goes back to always on.

They have some promo codes out there that are still active. Forgot what one I used but check out YouTube for some reviews and you will find a code.

@Maokin so the lid light has a constant “on”?” I wouldn’t want it to flash or pulse. Is your lid light purple?

OP
OP
Maokin

Maokin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Maokin so the lid light has a constant “on”?” I wouldn’t want it to flash or pulse. Is your lid light purple?
Yeah it has 3 mode, on, flashing and a short pulse. I just leave mine in the on position and have it come on and off automatically with my apex programing. I run it for 3 hours before my lights come on and 3 hours after they go of. I wanted to give them some period of complete darkness

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Maokin how did you go about ordering your Top Lid? I was all ready to order one from them awhile back through email but I never got any emails from them. I think they tried calling me a few times but I never answer calls from numbers I don’t recognize. I figured if someone wanted to get ahold of me bad enough they’d leave a voicemail. I never got one of those either. Well I got busy, time went by, and I took advantage of a wonderful chance to upgrade a lot of my equipment. After the upgrades my plans, pictures, drawings, and measurements became worthless because the old build no longer existed. When the time comes again to order from Top Lids I hope I can do it through email or it will be a major PITA. That’s my preferred method of doing business. Just my $.02

OP
OP
Maokin

Maokin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted some new photo's to my Instagram account of the tank

@maokinus

Sad to report that I believe that at least one of my new Emerald crabs died and I found a shell of one shrimp. Perhaps it molted already or died? Haven't seen the other Emerald crab or peppermint shrimp in a day or so. My last ICP didn't show any metals in the tank but seems like something is wrong. I have a number of snails, hermits, and existing Emerald crabs. I did acclimate the Emerald crabs and peppermint shrimp over 2 + hours because of the higher salinity. Will give it a while and maybe will try some more CUC. Who knows maybe the missing will turn up out of the blue in a few days.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Reef is looking good!

OP
OP
Maokin

Maokin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been a while but here are some photos. Aiptaisa is out of control again looking to get some more Berghia nudibranchs. Added some peppermint shrimp but i dont think that will be enough to get it back under control. Also added CO2 scrubber but think I dont really need it. My PH has been in the high 8.3 8.4 at times. New XHO suplemtnal lights coming today. Excited to see how corals look with additional fill light! Trying to off load some frags the rack is full. Want to trade locally vs selling to my LFS as they are only offering $10-12 per frag.

Here are some pictures any other questions just ask.

20201015_201033.jpg

20201015_201048.jpg

20201015_201051.jpg

20201015_201100.jpg

20201015_201109.jpg

20201015_201116.jpg

20201015_201142.jpg
20201015_201154.jpg
20201015_201109.jpg

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking forward to see that Reefbrite XHO installed. Please also post how you install them. Thanks :)

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! I can see those palys better in this pic...my bad. Are u still looking to get the palythoa grandis?

OP
OP
Maokin

Maokin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights are installed. I was able to add them on to my existing kessil A series mounting arms. The install was pretty easy but i might need to make some modifications. The lights are a little high and are spilling into the room quite a bit. It is pretty annoying for me as I work next to my tank all day. I also need to get the inline dimmers because 100% is too bright for my tank. I think once i get the dimmers i will like the look they provide in the tank. Right now on a 3ft tank 2 kessils and 2 XHOs at 100% is too much light.

Didn't have my filter on for these photos will post some others with the filter at a later date.
20201029_194834.jpg
20201029_194838.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back