First tank on R2R - 120g with all the goodies!

HeyLookItsCaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been in the reefing community for about 14 years now, started with a biocube back in the halide/turnover days.

here is a link for anyone interested in that.
TOTM - 2010

many things have happened since then, moving 3+ times, eventually taking my larger tank to my parents house before the glass cracked and exploded on them.

bought a new tank about 2 years ago and drove my fish/coral/equipment from San Diego California to Fort Worth Texas in buckets with pumps and heaters in one sitting.

purchased a home here, set up what I had, and pretty much let it be for that time period as I was renovating the house, working, getting married etc (all the OTHER stuff besides reefing.)

in the past 6 months I have finally completed all the major things in my home/work/life and was finally able to focus on my hobby. In that time period I really put all my energy/effort/hobby money into making the system I could only dream of as a 21 year old in 2007.

So now that we’re caught up to the present, here’s my 4x2x2 120g with a 31g sump/fuge.Let’s call it about 150g.

Below is a link to a video I took this evening, I try to take one at least once a week to document my journey. Enjoy!

Tank as of 9-18-21

here’s a breakdown of my setup as it sits today 09-18-21. I’m sure I’m missing something but it’s a start
DISPLAY :

120G starphire 4x2x2

48” Hybrid T5 4 bulb (ATI blue/act)

Dual AI Hydra 26 LED

Dual Maxspect Gyre 230s

Koralia Evo powerhead

CABINET:

Trigger Systems sapphire 34 sump

AquaMaxx ConeS skimmer

Reef Octopus VarioS 6 return

Nextreef MR1 media reactor
(GFO/Carbon)

JBJ ATO with 55 gallon reservoir in garage

Finnex Titanium 500W heater

JBJ Arctica chiller (not in use)

Kessil A160WE Tuna sun (display refugium light)

Tunze LED Eco Chic Refugium (pink refugium growth light)

CONTROLS:

Neptune Apex system/EnergyBar

4 probes (PH/Salinity/ORP/Tmp)

Dual Neptune DOS dosers
(1 for auto water change, 1 for dosing)

Neptune DDR dual reservoir on DOS 1
(Cal/Alk/Mag)

DOS 2 runs AWC( automatic water change from 55 gallon drum of new salt water to tank and from tank to sewer drain line)

Neptune auto feeding system

so that’s the story so far! I just traded some old parts for a WB PEN15 that is going to be an RFA tank, but that’s for a different thread.

feel free to ask any questions, offer any advice or criticism, or just to say hello to a first time poster! I may have been in this hobby for over a decade but that doesn’t mean I haven’t messed literally everything up at some point. Would love to hear from y’all!

Thanks,
HLIC

OP
OP
HeyLookItsCaps

HeyLookItsCaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Impressive build! Do I spot Sea lettuce (Ulva) in the refugium? Welcome to Reef2Reef!
Thanks for the warm welcome!

yes sir there is sea lettuce, chaeto, red ogo, and lace gracilaria in there currently. I had some fire ball macro but the old fuge light (ultra pink CF grow light off Amazon) melted it. Thats when I decided to buy the kessil because losing that macro felt as heartbreaking as the coral. So now I’m trying to do a little display down below also. Next step is a skimmer stand so I can raise my fuge level for more room.

Appreciate the comment!

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the warm welcome!

yes sir there is sea lettuce, chaeto, red ogo, and lace gracilaria in there currently. I had some fire ball macro but the old fuge light (ultra pink CF grow light off Amazon) melted it. Thats when I decided to buy the kessil because losing that macro felt as heartbreaking as the coral. So now I’m trying to do a little display down below also. Next step is a skimmer stand so I can raise my fuge level for more room.

Appreciate the comment!
Awesome! Always a fan of some refugium diversity!

OP
OP
HeyLookItsCaps

HeyLookItsCaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting to get my fuge diversity how I wanted it, good mix of chaeto/ferns/palm tree/ulva/cactus/ogo/red grape/Pom Pom/mangrove.

last week I noticed they weren’t doing so well so I completely removed my filter socks and now they have done a 180! Guess I was runnin too clean!

3E47180C-12F3-4E34-A312-100F379D9F71.jpeg EC3460D6-699D-421F-BC40-A339D0EC8992.jpeg 768FBC7B-C194-4F06-A88D-79D430050F39.jpeg 825BC1B7-620D-48ED-8BBE-3ADC36FDA70F.jpeg

Last edited:

Patientman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not able to open the video (here at work) blasted firewalls! :mad:
Looking forward to viewing it this evening and watching your progress!
Thanks for sharing!

OP
OP
HeyLookItsCaps

HeyLookItsCaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I discontinued my koralia powerhead in the middle, it seems that the flow between the gyres/wave makers and the koralia was too much for my softies/LPS and I almost lost a couple euphyllia. I probably went overkill on flow because this is my first Acro inclusion tank and I know they like “high” flow.

also I have been using salifert test kits now that I’m working on my tank daily again and I’m getting some wild numbers that don’t make sense
Alk 14.5
Cal 470
Mag 1470

I did have a bucket that was half Fritz and half instant ocean, which I’ve since depleted and I am going to switch to tropic Marin. Was considering a mail in test, but how does everyone else check to make sure their kits aren’t off because those numbers don’t seem right for what’s happening in the tank…

OP
OP
HeyLookItsCaps

HeyLookItsCaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish at the front center in the video. I switched to Tropic Marin Pro Reef from Red Sea Coral Pro when I upgraded to my larger system. Everything seems to be doing really good.
Or it could be my file fish if you’re talking about the first video! It wiped my aiptasia like a beast. Such a weird fish
This guy (not the Tang).

1632418912559.png
file fish!

jandlms

Reef Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that your fuge light submerged. I’ve heard it can be done but I’ve never actually seen it done. Bravo. What type is it and how do you like it’s performance submerged?

OP
OP
HeyLookItsCaps

HeyLookItsCaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze eco chic 8831, I hated the bright pink CF GRO light I had as it washed out my whole cabinet and seemed to melt my red macros, so I switched to a kessil + this tunze for the green stuff
Is that your fuge light submerged. I’ve heard it can be done but I’ve never actually seen it done. Bravo. What type is it and how do you like it’s performance submerged?

OP
OP
HeyLookItsCaps

HeyLookItsCaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 2-3 inches deep. All the macros are clipped to little “fish clips” for nori and then placed in the sand bed and covered
How deep is the refugium substrate bed?

*edit bad link* these are what I used, I like them because you can position them straight out or at 90 degrees if you’re clipping to a wall like my ulva is

ABBC5602-C19D-47CF-94CF-75CEC7D8BF7C.png AA4D6FAB-189E-4AD5-8BC8-689120021519.png

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back