First tank Red Sea 170

02ruben

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone
I have taken the plunge and I am setting up a Red Sea 170. It’s my first tank and am confused with which lighting to go with. I have been looking at the max spect jump led Will this be ok for starting up? I have seen people recommended the eco tech range but it’s a bit out of my price range.
I am going to start of with a few fish and easy to keep corals before moving on to the more demanding corals and fish. Here is a picture of the rock work and will be adding sand and water this weekend and beginning the cycle before anything is added. Any input/criticism will be greatly received

3E74D60E-C64A-44A3-99A9-8396269615EF.png

HD_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! You should start a build thread so we can all follow along!

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use a red sea led 90 cannot comment on other lights i got a 200xl as my first tank 2 month ago already thinking of upgrading to waterbox marine x 110.4

OP
OP

02ruben

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! You should start a build thread so we can all follow along!

Thanks for the information I will set this up later and add some more pictures

Rhoads238

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquascape looks great! I think the jump will work out for the tank. It looks like it has enough coverage and power is not really an issue for most LEDs. I have no experience with it but it looks like it has a few too many red and green leds so i would probably turn those down.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If just starting out I would recommend waiting a month or 2 and saving for permanent lights. You make it sound like the lights now will be replaced in the future. You will have a few months of getting used to parameter swings and the ugly phase anyway. Lights are the most expensive thing on a tank so why do it twice? I'd recommend not getting any right now. Fish won't care, and with no lights on algae won't be as bad. Get things rolling. Get used to testing and water stability. Spend some money on things you didn't know you needed. Then worry about what lights to get.

OP
OP

02ruben

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If just starting out I would recommend waiting a month or 2 and saving for permanent lights. You make it sound like the lights now will be replaced in the future. You will have a few months of getting used to parameter swings and the ugly phase anyway. Lights are the most expensive thing on a tank so why do it twice? I'd recommend not getting any right now. Fish won't care, and with no lights on algae won't be as bad. Get things rolling. Get used to testing and water stability. Spend some money on things you didn't know you needed. Then worry about what lights to get.
Thanks for your reply
Maybe I worded it wrong, I like the look of the max spect light and all the features it has, but didn’t want to buy it if I will need to upgrade again in the future. It’s my first tank so won’t be buying loads of coral and fish just wanted a complete system to learn all the aspects before maybe jumping in On a bigger tank further down the road.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That tank is advertised with a red sea 90 LED. That would be fine for you

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.6%
  • None.

Votes: 29 21.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.8%
Back