First Tank Setup 11-2017

dmc209

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well here is a pic of the tank. Its doing good but always room for improvement. The focus now is water parameters and educating myself. Water analysis looks pretty good except my calcium is 350 and I believe it should be 420. Alk is 8.4, ph 8.4 Mag 1350. Been reading about different options for maintaining proper levels and it looks like I need to get the calcium up without adding too much. After that Im considering kalkwasser through my Tunze Os ATO system. Does this sound like a good plan? Feedback appreciated.

Tank Pic.jpeg

kingnem

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly id just find a high quality salt and-maintain regular water changes UNTIL you start getting into coral or clams that demand calcium for growth

Palyzoa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with above, right now you should be able to maintain normal Ca, alk, mag with water changes and a good quality salt. You can find a bunch of threads on here that talk about different salt brands and what their levels mix up at. Once you start getting more into corals and the demand increases, you could then look at dosing. Sounds like you're off to a good start!

OP
OP
D

dmc209

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with above, right now you should be able to maintain normal Ca, alk, mag with water changes and a good quality salt. You can find a bunch of threads on here that talk about different salt brands and what their levels mix up at. Once you start getting more into corals and the demand increases, you could then look at dosing. Sounds like you're off to a good start!
Thanks, I'm having a really good time watching this tank become established. When I set up the tank I was using Instant Ocean Sea Salt. Three 20% water changes ago I switched to the Reef Crystals. I'll be patient and keep monitoring. David

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back