First the Goby, then the blenny, now the wrasse?

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Not really sure what is happening but I'll try to shorten the information as much as possible.

First: I have not added any new fish.

A couple of weeks ago, my sleeperbanded goby died. He became very slow, his stomach sunk in, and eventually died. Otherwise, very heavy eater and never showed symptoms of anything.
Then, I noticed my flasher wrasse hurt his fin - it had kind like a bump on it (it has since gone away and his fin moves again) but simultaneously his appetite came down. He was not able to move properly - maybe an injury, and then his low immune system got him to catch whatever the blenny and the goby have? Blenny information below.

The Midas blenny - same thing, except no hurt fins. Just started dropping from the top of the tank where he always hangs out, now down to the bottom where there is less flow and just out in the open. Does not eat.

The wrasse and the blenny do not look like they are starving, yet.

Both the midas and wrasse are not eating.
Other fish:

Tangs (4)
Yellow coris wrasse
2 yellow watchman gobies
6 Anthias
Foxface

None of the fish listed have any symptoms, and are all fat and eating well. The only new items I have added to the tank: 2 Euphyllias. Fragged from the base, dipped, then put into the tank.

There is no flashing/shaking. Just "lay on the sand, and don't eat" behavior.

I tried netting out the blenny to euthanize, however, as soon as I did the blenny was very alert and alive so I let him be. I figured he is fighting whatever it is, and if it is parasites the prazi can help and we'll give it a chance to see what happens.

The flasher wrasse, laying inside of a hole of a rock, you can see his tail. Alive, but just laying there like the blenny. Does not look starved.

I have no idea what is going on. I recently starting running GFO to help bring down my phosphates (was reading .25-.30 for months, finally got it down to .11 over three weeks with the GFO).

I did notice a large string of white poop floating in the tank - not sure who it came from, but it prompted me to immediately start treating with Prazi. I turned off the UV, GFO/Carbon, and I just run my Algae Turf Scrubber, and the skimmer without the cup on to oxygenate the water.

Tomorrow, I will start treating with metro/focus soaked food just to be safe for the other fish that are still eating and well. I am not sure where to start/diagnose but I feel that the white unknown stringy poop floating around was a red flag. Did just see my tangs poop, and they are doing their thing as normal.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First - the three fish may or may not have the same issue.

Can you post a short video of the flasher and/or the midas?

Prazi only treats external flukes and internal tapeworms, and tapeworms don't cause white mucus feces.

Metronidazole treats overgrowths of internal protozoans such as Hexamita, and those do cause white feces. However, there are other common causes of white feces, such as coccidia that don't respond to that treatment (they aren't treatable).

You can't just mix some metro in Focus and expect it to work, you won't know what dose you are at. Metro is very bitter - if the fish eat the dosed food well, your dose is too low. Here is an article on how to dose medicated food accurately:

Jay

OP
OP
Max93

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I got a video of one of the fish pooping a long white poop. It’s one of the anthias - this one is eating (I have not fed them metro/focus yet)

Jay I am mixing up a metro/focus slurry now based on the shot glass recipe I found on reef2reef, can’t remember the thread but it is:
1/8 teaspoon metro (I converted to grams and used .53grams)
1 scoop seachem focus
15g frozen food (this is equal to 1tbsp)
Fish vitamins (selcon?)
Soak 30 mins

feed twice a day.

edit: found it

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I got a video of one of the fish pooping a long white poop. It’s one of the anthias - this one is eating (I have not fed them metro/focus yet)

Jay I am mixing up a metro/focus slurry now based on the shot glass recipe I found on reef2reef, can’t remember the thread but it is:
1/8 teaspoon metro (I converted to grams and used .53grams)
1 scoop seachem focus
15g frozen food (this is equal to 1tbsp)
Fish vitamins (selcon?)
Soak 30 mins

feed twice a day.

edit: found it
Ugh, that’s an old post. I doubt the dose is correct, but I can’t tell for sure because this medication is dosed by weight, not volume.
For your modified recipe, you need to weigh out the components and ensure the metro is at 5000 ppm, that should by 1/2 of a percent I think.
Jay

OP
OP
Max93

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh, that’s an old post. I doubt the dose is correct, but I can’t tell for sure because this medication is dosed by weight, not volume.
For your modified recipe, you need to weigh out the components and ensure the metro is at 5000 ppm, that should by 1/2 of a percent I think.
Jay
So + 1/2% on the metro? So instead of .53g do about .75?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So + 1/2% on the metro? So instead of .53g do about .75?
Sorry, I’m on my phone and not at home, so I can’t pull my references. 5000 ppm is the standard oral dose for metro. I *think* that is 0.5%, but I can’t do the math, you’ll need to confirm that.
Jay

OP
OP
Max93

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today, the wrasse came out of hiding and ate some food, very little but ate some. Blenny in tough shape still not eating.

OP
OP
Max93

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More updates:

halides came on, and I can see signs of starvation on both blenny and wrasse.
The wrasse ate much more once lights came on, so I fed again.

I put the blenny in a box with holes and some food so he can stop being thrown around by the current. Nothing yet from him, I have continuous water flow going through the box by putting the box against the mp60 to suck old water out of there. Now we wait.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More updates:

halides came on, and I can see signs of starvation on both blenny and wrasse.
The wrasse ate much more once lights came on, so I fed again.

I put the blenny in a box with holes and some food so he can stop being thrown around by the current. Nothing yet from him, I have continuous water flow going through the box by putting the box against the mp60 to suck old water out of there. Now we wait.
Since it isn’t feeding, you should consider dosing the water if you have a treatment tank. Marine fish drink water and so can take up medication that way. Metro can be dosed that way, as can prazi.
Jay

OP
OP
Max93

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since it isn’t feeding, you should consider dosing the water if you have a treatment tank. Marine fish drink water and so can take up medication that way. Metro can be dosed that way, as can prazi.
Jay

Unfortunately the blenny passed - I decided to euthanize him as he started having spams and was extremely skinny, wouldn’t eat, and would just get thrown around by the flow.

however, the tank is being treated with prazi for the last 3 full days, once tuesday comes around I will do a water change and one more prazi round to be safe.

OP
OP
Max93

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The anthias started showing the same staying low type deal, but over time each one has come back out. I don’t see any white stringy poop anymore.

however, my wrasse finally healed and was swimming around etc. although weakly. I think it is a long term effect of whatever got in their bodies.
I put my wrasse in a Tupperware with holes inside the tank to see if I could give him a break from all the water flow. He eats and everything just has a hard time swimming and it was super easy for me to net him.

it almost looks like he has a nerve issue, I’m not sure. No bloating or anything.
All my fish are eating, but the poor wrasse I’m not sure what to do. He doesn’t have a spinal injury or swim bladder issue as he doesn’t display those symptoms of buoyancy as described in the wrasse thread.

what to do?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The anthias started showing the same staying low type deal, but over time each one has come back out. I don’t see any white stringy poop anymore.

however, my wrasse finally healed and was swimming around etc. although weakly. I think it is a long term effect of whatever got in their bodies.
I put my wrasse in a Tupperware with holes inside the tank to see if I could give him a break from all the water flow. He eats and everything just has a hard time swimming and it was super easy for me to net him.

it almost looks like he has a nerve issue, I’m not sure. No bloating or anything.
All my fish are eating, but the poor wrasse I’m not sure what to do. He doesn’t have a spinal injury or swim bladder issue as he doesn’t display those symptoms of buoyancy as described in the wrasse thread.

what to do?

Can you post a video of the wrasse?

Jay

OP
OP
Max93

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a video of the wrasse?

Jay
The wrasse was doing a “spiral” swim and started spazzing kind of like a seizure. I scooped him out and euthanized unfortunately, he was not going to make it. He looked like he was suffering way too much. Really strange, like something was attacking him but no symptoms anywhere on his body.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back