First thing to add after cycle

lavoisier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend you think about your long term plan for the tank. What kind and how many fish would you want to keep. Then as you add them start with the less aggressive first. Also remember that some of your fish may need to be added at the same time...again to reduce loses through aggression.

Will you want to keep coral as well? That will impact the type of fish you keep.

RobW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some reason... every single tank that I've ever started, I always started them with a pair of clowns. Probably because they are usually pretty easy. I always try to find the smallest of the fish that I like as well, because I like to see them grow.

OP
OP
P

Piece of reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend you think about your long term plan for the tank. What kind and how many fish would you want to keep. Then as you add them start with the less aggressive first. Also remember that some of your fish may need to be added at the same time...again to reduce loses through aggression.

Will you want to keep coral as well? That will impact the type of fish you keep.
I havnt really thought that far ahead but definately something to consider thanks !

For some reason... every single tank that I've ever started, I always started them with a pair of clowns. Probably because they are usually pretty easy. I always try to find the smallest of the fish that I like as well, because I like to see them grow.
I was thinking clowns first aswell but when i did some research i seen a article saying to add cuc first lol so just wanted to see what you guys think

jramy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I havnt really thought that far ahead but definately something to consider thanks !

I was thinking clowns first aswell but when i did some research i seen a article saying to add cuc first lol so just wanted to see what you guys think
I am right there with you. I am wondering if I need to add CUC then the fish. Also I dont have algae really yet as no light. What will the CUC eat? I am thinking between adding the first fish(es) and introducing light, I will probably see a bloom. But yeah let me know what you ended up doing. My tank is showing ready and plan on doing water change tonight and hopefully adding fish sometime next week.

OP
OP
P

Piece of reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am right there with you. I am wondering if I need to add CUC then the fish. Also I dont have algae really yet as no light. What will the CUC eat? I am thinking between adding the first fish(es) and introducing light, I will probably see a bloom. But yeah let me know what you ended up doing. My tank is showing ready and plan on doing water change tonight and hopefully adding fish sometime next week.
Hey man, so im actually going out today to organise my qt tank, ill be getting 2 really small clowns, 1 or 2 weeks before they finish quarantine
Ill get my cuc and add them to my display
Then add the clown 1 or 2 weeks later

Thats so far my plan lol

jramy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey man, so im actually going out today to organise my qt tank, ill be getting 2 really small clowns, 1 or 2 weeks before they finish quarantine
Ill get my cuc and add them to my display
Then add the clown 1 or 2 weeks later

Thats so far my plan lol
What did you end up going with for cleanup crew?

OP
OP
P

Piece of reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you end up going with for cleanup crew?
I havnt given it much thought because i practically have a month before the clowns finish up in qt
But from the top of my head ill definately be getting a bunch of different snails, nassarius snails etc
Hermit crabs and cleaner shrimp

But ill definately look into it further while waiting for qt to finish

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish! Hold off on the cuc until the tank matures a bit or you'll just starve them out.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 64 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back