First time building a tank, could use some opinions and knowledge.

JesseLikesHondas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers!
This is my very first time building my own reef tank and I could really use some help!

Current set up:
40 gallon imagitarium modular aquarium (30W x 17H x 19D)
307 Fluval Canister filter
Hydor 565 wave maker
200W Titanium no name heater (Amazon)
Glass top
Stock light (garbage)
40LBS of dry rock
40lbs Live sand, about 2" bed (size 0.7 - 1.5)

I'm currently in the middle of my cycle (about 10 days in)
used Dr tims one and only reef

last water test 2 days ago:
little to no Ammonia
some Nitrites
some Nitrates

If I'm not mistaken, that means the Cycle is going as it should
(had higher ammonia at first, has been declining)

OK! if you're still reading this, THANKS!

My goal is to eventually have a Mixed tank with high light SPS to low light softies

Since I am not made of money, I have been looking at all sorts of lights that fit my budget and needs

I have read all sorts of reviews and watched MANY videos online about different lights

I am in between the Hydra 62 HD and the kessil AP700

Radions are just too much money for me

I have considered 2 kessil A360we but for the price, I might as well spend more for the AP700, especially because I wouldnt need the controller which is a whole other expense

I am wondering if I can manage to grow SPS in my tank with just one single Hydra 64 HD, since it is about $200 cheaper than the AP700

final note, the Hydra 62 HD is only 135 watts which means I would save money on the electric bill as well.

please let me know your opinions, and if there are any recommendations anyone might have towards my set up.

Oh yeah, I know it would be best, and easier for me in the long run to get a sump but since I am in an apartment, i just don't want the hassle of dealing with an extra tank of water.

my plan is to get a Reef octopus 110 EXT so that I can have a protein skimmer and still not need a Sump.

Thank you everyone.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good plan, just buy the Skimmer before the lights, it can save $$$ on water changes. It will take awhile for the tank to support sps so the light can wait abit imo.

Good luck and Godspeed ( go slow is the right speed in the hobby!)

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be a bit late now, but my thoughts on hang-on gear like a skimmer is that they are a bigger headache than a sump. A properly plumbed sump is probably the safest way to run a tank. Skimmers have a habit of overflowing when you least have time to deal with it, and if it's a hang on type, the water is out of the tank. Research some kind of flood sensor and smart plug for the skimmer at least, so it can be automatically shut down if water hits the floor under the tank.

The canister filter will have to be opened, disassembled and cleaned - a lot. Like weekly. I would have at least gone with a hang on filter.

I think you're ok for lighting.

OP
OP
J

JesseLikesHondas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be a bit late now, but my thoughts on hang-on gear like a skimmer is that they are a bigger headache than a sump. A properly plumbed sump is probably the safest way to run a tank. Skimmers have a habit of overflowing when you least have time to deal with it, and if it's a hang on type, the water is out of the tank. Research some kind of flood sensor and smart plug for the skimmer at least, so it can be automatically shut down if water hits the floor under the tank.

The canister filter will have to be opened, disassembled and cleaned - a lot. Like weekly. I would have at least gone with a hang on filter.

I think you're ok for lighting.
why would it have to be cleaned so often?

OP
OP
J

JesseLikesHondas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good plan, just buy the Skimmer before the lights, it can save $$$ on water changes. It will take awhile for the tank to support sps so the light can wait abit imo.

Good luck and Godspeed ( go slow is the right speed in the hobby!)
from everything i have read and seen, i am going to believe you when you say to go slow.
Thanks for advice.

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why would it have to be cleaned so often?
Canister filters are excellent for catching and holding on to leftover food and slime from the water, just like a filter sock or floss does on a sump, and those need to be changed/cleaned once or twice a week as well. Otherwise the goo starts to decompose into dissolved organics (sources of excess nitrate and phosphate) in the water which creates algae problems.

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Hydra is a good choice for lighting, I have 2 26 HDs and have a modified Radion AB+ schedule on them and corals are growing nicely.

OP
OP
J

JesseLikesHondas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Canister filters are excellent for catching and holding on to leftover food and slime from the water, just like a filter sock or floss does on a sump, and those need to be changed/cleaned once or twice a week as well. Otherwise the goo starts to decompose into dissolved organics (sources of excess nitrate and phosphate) in the water which creates algae problems.
Awesome! I didn’t know it’s the same maintenance on filter socks with a sump. Ok, so I will be ok so long as I clean it weekly-bi weekly. What media would you recommend I put In my canister?

OP
OP
J

JesseLikesHondas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Hydra is a good choice for lighting, I have 2 26 HDs and have a modified Radion AB+ schedule on them and corals are growing nicely.
Thanks for the opinion. I wsnt to go with hydras cus they come with WiFi controllability built in.

Back