First time cycle water parameters results

NeonNomad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey everyone so it is my second full day of my tank cycling. I am using a snowflake clown to cycle my tank as well as live rock and live sand. I know some people don't agree with this method but its the path I chose after much research. I used Fluva bio booster to help with beneficial bacteria. So I checked my numbers today and my numbers were *Ammonia 0.1
*Nitrate between 5 and 10
*Nitrite 0.1
*Ph 8.0
Everything seemes to be at normal levels for now does anyone have any recommendations on what to do besides waiting and keep on checking leveles daily or every other day?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can always use prime to make the ammonia non toxic and less stressful for the clown fish (ammonia causes numerous health problems). The only other thing is that you can dose more bacteria if you are looking to speed up the cycle.

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only advice is keep ammonia low for the fish and be patient. Really all you can do right now. Prime would be nice like above^

OP
OP
NeonNomad

NeonNomad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only advice is keep ammonia low for the fish and be patient. Really all you can do right now. Prime would be nice like above^
Okay sweet and its just called prime? Yeah as of now the Ammonia is low in a safe range and I already dosed the fluval bio boost which has live bacteria to help speed it up and keep the fish safe

OP
OP
NeonNomad

NeonNomad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can always use prime to make the ammonia non toxic and less stressful for the clown fish (ammonia causes numerous health problems). The only other thing is that you can dose more bacteria if you are looking to speed up the cycle.
Okay awesome thank you!

supernanoguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you have everything ready for your water changes. It takes time to heat water so be sure you have enough heaters. I’d be worried about the nitrite spike that’s coming.

supernanoguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cycles should go like this with live rock.

live rock addition only. Wait 10 days for ammonia to spike. Then add bacteria. Wait for 3 more days and you see your nitrates high (around 40-100 depending on the size of your tank) then do a 40-50% water change. Then add fish.
I’d say you have a 25% chance of the clown not dying during this cycle.

supernanoguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m curious what part of your research brought you to the conclusion that you needed a fish in the tank during the cycle? Mine went find with no animals in the same time frame I just talked about.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay sweet and its just called prime? Yeah as of now the Ammonia is low in a safe range and I already dosed the fluval bio boost which has live bacteria to help speed it up and keep the fish safe

Seachem prime is the product. There are lots of similar products. Its also a dechlorinator but it detoxifies heavy metals as well as ammonia (ammonia for 48 hours). I will say thought that I don't believe any detectable ammonia is a safe range (not saying the clownfish would die, but that it is not healthy especially over time).

The prime basically makes it so your biofilter has time to remove the ammonia without it being an issue to the fish.

OP
OP
NeonNomad

NeonNomad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seachem prime is the product. There are lots of similar products. Its also a dechlorinator but it detoxifies heavy metals as well as ammonia (ammonia for 48 hours). I will say thought that I don't believe any detectable ammonia is a safe range (not saying the clownfish would die, but that it is not healthy especially over time).

The prime basically makes it so your biofilter has time to remove the ammonia without it being an issue to the fish.
Okay awesome thanks for the advice ill look it up

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d recommend taking out your fish and cycling without it. There’s so many ways to cycle without livestock. I used pure ammonia and beneficial bacteria. Just my 0.02.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live rock gives you a skip cycle. You should be fine assuming the live rock is ready to go.

OP
OP
NeonNomad

NeonNomad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m curious what part of your research brought you to the conclusion that you needed a fish in the tank during the cycle? Mine went find with no animals in the same time frame I just talked about.
Okay awesome thank you for your input ill keep this in mind going forward. And my research did not make me thing i (needed) to add livestock but its the method I chose to use i know there is many ways people use but this was the method I decided. But thats why I'm here to gather more knowledge and continue learning

OP
OP
NeonNomad

NeonNomad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d recommend taking out your fish and cycling without it. There’s so many ways to cycle without livestock. I used pure ammonia and beneficial bacteria. Just my 0.02.
Awesome thank you for the info I will keep that in mind!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back