First time dealing with Marine Ich - Juvinile Blue Tang

Scottmac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Yesterday I introduced some snails, an urchin, and an anemone to my tank, and this morning my Blue Tang is showing symptoms of marine Ich. At first I thought it may be scale damage as its always wedging itself between rocks and corals, but on closer look it certainly appears to be Ich. I have read the sticky thread here, but before I follow the advice I just want to double check its Ich.

I have dealt with freshwater systems for decades, so I am very familiar with the similar freshwater white spot parasite (quite easily solved by a water change, white spot medication treatment and raising tank temp.) But I am reluctant to risk adding medication to a marine tank as I have watched plenty of vids where, even though they say 'reef safe', it's actually caused the death of inverts and corals.

All of the fish are otherwise healthy and eating well, so I want to nip this in the bud ASAP. So I intend on doing an extra 25% water change, using Seachem Garlic Guard, and mixing garlic into frozen brine shrimp. Do any of you recommend anything else? I am reluctant to raise the temp as I have some inverts and corals that are very sensitive to temp changes.

Please can you confirm its Ich my Blue Tang has:

ich 1.jpg

ich 2.jpg

EDIT: [p.s. I have a UV sterliliser in the tank so that should help to keep parasite numbers down]
Scott

Last edited:

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Agree it looks like ich. Is the fish flashing/scratching as well? Unfortunately it’s a pain to treat but it is treatable.

When you say you read the sticky, was it this one? Highly recommend this one for your situation

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a UV, it later stages of ich it might not save the fish but it will dramticlly reduce the free floating ich because ich leaves the fish and multiplies 100-1000x so get a Uv and protect your other fish, I would say QT but I do not QT and it is just stupid and BRs did this and it helped thei tank so I'd try it, there are definitely other options though

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A UV can be part of the mitigation plan but a UV Clarifier will not do. You need an actual UV sterilizer capable of damaging the DNA of bacteria. Ask your LFS to get you one that’s good for the size of your tank.

Do not go for a UV Clarifier. It’s useless in controlling pathogens.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He edited it oof, that should keep your other fish safe (For now...) but lets just be happy its not velvet... Anyway KEEP FEEDING IT. Feeding and nutrtion helps dramatically and it build their immune system.

OP
OP
S

Scottmac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Thanks for the replies. I have a UV canister filter which I purchased to get rid of my algae and bacterial blooms, and since then the water has been crystal clear. Only slight issue I have with it is that I have a cool Spotted Mandarin (looks 70s disco pattern:D) , so I need to switch the UV off for a couple hrs a day during feeding pods to prevent them getting sucked up and zapped.

Hopefully the UV will keep the number of parasites in the water column to a minimum. Other than white spot the only problem with my tank I am battling is Dinos on the sand which is a PAIN! I got 2 conches and a sandsifting starfish to help, but the war continues...

Thanks for the advice on feeding, I've ordered Seachem Garlic Guard which I will add to flakes and chopped shrimp. I'll post how it goes.

Scott

OP
OP
S

Scottmac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have been feeding them with garlic supplement for a couple days now and have done a water change, but I notice there are now signs of it on the clowns too so I may have to get some medication. :(

Any advice on best type and is there one you can add directly to the tank without it killing inverts/corals and without the need to take the fish out? It would be a nightmare trying to catch them.

On a side note I notice the Tang is spending more time at the cleaning station getting attention from my two cleaner shrimp, will this help manage it?

Scott

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NO GARLIC! It does nothing, keep feeding your fish, give all fish a varied diet and tansga nd clowns are omnivores and feed them a tad bit more often? Do you have coral or inverts? If not do hyposalinity and if you do, keep feeding them and just hope. I know someone who has a blue tang and it was covered in white spots - literally. A week later it was all gone and no fish caught it.

Marsh980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve heard of a reef/invert safe ich treatment but it has many many mixed reviews. Some rave about and say ich was treated (however it was more like managed). Others have said it’s done nothing.

I’ve not used it and am conscious it doesn’t start a huge thread. I’ll tell you the name but it’s worth you doing extensive research on it and make your own decision.

It seems the most effective method is to remove the fish from the DT, treat with copper and leave the DT fallow for up to 72 days i believe.

The treatment is called Polylab Reef Safe Medic.

OP
OP
S

Scottmac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I did thanks. An extra water change, raising the temp 2 degrees C and adding Garlic extract to the flake and pellets seems to be working.

Blue Tang isn't twitching and rubbing against rocks anymore, and visual symptoms diminishing. My two cleaner shrimp have been busy, must have had a good snack of parasites :D

I realise its always going to be present as I can still see some specs on the clowns and the Tang, but hopefully I can manage it with these tactics without having to resort to chemical medication.

Thanks for help and advice.

Scott

OP
OP
S

Scottmac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning on ordering some more fish this week, but I do not have a dip. Can anyone advice on the best dip for the fish prior to adding them to a tank to protect against white spot/any other parasites?

Scott

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not really a dip for ich. Best is to quarantine / tank transfer method. But, if you’re adding to an infected tank already, I don’t think it will matter and will have to deal with potential flare ups.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 53 80.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • Other

Votes: 4 6.1%
Back