First Time Feeding Puffer Fiddler Crabs

Ken Roane

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fed 5 live fiddler crabs to healthy Puffer one week ago. Last few days not well. Today on bottom, just died. Diamond gobies, bellinies and damsels ok. Could the crabs been a potential issue and was this not the right decision for a feeding addition?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fed 5 live fiddler crabs to healthy Puffer one week ago. Last few days not well. Today on bottom, just died. Diamond gobies, bellinies and damsels ok. Could the crabs been a potential issue and was this not the right decision for a feeding addition?
I think it is coincidental. There isn’t anything inherent in the crabs that would be an issue. Maybe it pigged out and got an impaction from the bits of shell, but I’ve never seen that happen myself.
Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Probably constipated from the shell/claws being unable to digest or pass it through.

OP
OP
Ken Roane

Ken Roane

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is coincidental. There isn’t anything inherent in the crabs that would be an issue. Maybe it pigged out and got an impaction from the bits of shell, but I’ve never seen that happen myself.
Jay
thanks Jay...I would like to look at the organs for a first time autopsy. Any steps you would take?

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am very sorry for your loss.
Kind Love GIF

Fishpro7897

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know sometimes if one the crabs was sick sometimes it can make the puffer or any other fish eating them sick

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks Jay...I would like to look at the organs for a first time autopsy. Any steps you would take?
Focus on the digestive track. Start at the throat, and cut it open to the stomach, intestines to the anus. Look for crab shells at any section along the way. The presence of shells themselves isn’t necessarily the problem, but look for shells poking through he tissues or red inflamed tissues.
Jay

OP
OP
Ken Roane

Ken Roane

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Focus on the digestive track. Start at the throat, and cut it open to the stomach, intestines to the anus. Look for crab shells at any section along the way. The presence of shells themselves isn’t necessarily the problem, but look for shells poking through he tissues or red inflamed tissues.
Jay
Thank you Jay...I didn't want to do this, feeling bad I may have caused the puffer to die but went ahead and looked at the organs. I felt everything looked very healthy and was surprised at how large the liver was. It was difficult opening up the body and some delicate organs, using an exacto blade was what I had to use. I feel feeding 5 crabs at one time was my ignorance not to do the research first. Being a marine-aquarium hobbyist for years and years and losing my mature puffer like this shows never try a new action without fully understanding what effects and/or consequences may occur.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back