First time for me-Cinnamon clowns laid eggs:)

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, at the start of the reef club meeting yesterday, I noticed the male doing something funny under the anemone and then noticed the eggs. I can't do anything with this batch (not prepared and getting ready to move), so the corals and fish will have a nice buffet, but I thought it was pretty cool to watch the behavior. The Cinnamons aren't nearly as nasty as I would expect my Maroons to be...
Cinnamon-clown-eggs_02-0114.jpg

Cinnamon-clown-eggs_01-0114.jpg

Cinnamon-clown-eggs_03-0114.jpg

Here's a video. Doesn't show too much cool, but you can get an idea for the behavior (though it is 'egged' on by a turkey baster.

I'm still trying tio figure out where they got a hold of some Barry White, but mellow on, clowns, mellow on.

czieler

Reefin' Girl
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved my false percs to my new 150 last week... their anemone moved to the opening of an old 12 inch queen conch shell I have in my tank...I'm hoping that they'll go lay eggs in there..because to me...it seems like it would be the perfect environment in the tank for them to actually hatch and maybe live... since way inside the shell..its really dark... and the other fish can't get in there...

Chances probably aren't great...but who knows...it could happen ;)

OP
OP
gflat65

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used an HP Photosmart 850 camera. It was much clearer before being uploaded, but photobucket had to shrink it.

Supplying the right sized food is the hard part...

weimers75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You won't be able to keep them in the conch shell in your tank - they are attracted to light and need light to hunt...but you could remove the shell and raise the fry. It takes a lot of work though, mine just recently laid eggs and I'm going to give raising the next batch a shot.

OP
OP
gflat65

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I broke down and decided to try to raise some of these (don't expect much success the first time around, but hopefully, it will prepare me for later). There is a gu that is somewhat local that has been breeeding for years, so he's gonna get me some food for the little mosnters and we'll see what makes it. He said he thinks these still have a few days:). If nothing else, it'll be caviar at the buffet line;).

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once the eye take full form I think you have 36-48 hrs left.....At least with my buddies Clarkis his would hatch about that time frame I think....

OP
OP
gflat65

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They may hold out for my wife to get back in town (she's already working in Montgomery, Al...). She is excited about seeing them hatch.

OP
OP
gflat65

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Continuing the day by day... Some shots are definitely better than others, but hopefully you get the idea. It is happening tonight. I hit the area with a flashlight and saw one swim around (disappeared by the time I had everything together...). I pulled a white cottage cheese lid as a backdrop for the flashlight because it was reflecting off the top of the water and back onto the rocks. None came by alive, but I saw one little baby floating on the surface, so it is happening... Gotta go check back in with them and see if any more have hatched. Gonna be another late night...

1/19
Clown-Eggs-011907-5.jpg

Clown-Eggs-011907-6.jpg

Clown-Eggs-011907-9.jpg

OP
OP
gflat65

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I've coralled a number of them. not sure on count, but somewhere between 50-100 I would think (nice wide range). not the easiest to get a picture of, but here are a few tries. They will get their first meal in the morning.

You gotta look close or ignore the blurry image, but they are there...
Clown-Eggs-012107-005.jpg

Clown-Eggs-012107-006.jpg

Clown-Eggs-012107-009.jpg

Clown-Eggs-012107-010.jpg

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome....I hope you can get a few to grow......At least it will be a learning experience for next time.....

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back