First time - how do you frag a Neon Green Birdsnest Coral?

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a Neon Green Birdsnest coral frag in Nov 21. It has grown great since almost day 1. It was about the size of a golf ball when I got it and has grown about an inch a month since them. It is now the size of football and shading several corals below it. SO...I want to prune it back about 1/2 it's current size and frag the cuttings so give to local aquarists if they want them.

How do I go about doing it?

I know the coral is fairly fragile. One store owner's advice was "use a large knife and just chop down where you want and then pick up the broken pieces". This seems a bit like a bull in a china shop and I wonder will it hurt the coral?

20220527_205622.jpg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m fairly certain that species you can just snap off branches and glue them to plugs and they’ll be completely fine
Yup this is the way to go. You could use cutters or a saw to but honestly doubt it’s needed.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m fairly certain that species you can just snap off branches and glue them to plugs and they’ll be completely fine
This is correct. Even a cheap pair of side cutters from harbor freight works great. This allows someone to be more precise when fragging. I have a pair that cost 3 bucks and still works great after 3 years. Just rinse in tap afterwards and let dry. No rust with doing that.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are like me, you just do your regular maintenance and everytime you accidentally bump into it and a piece breaks off, curse like your mom cant hear you, pick up the broken piece, glue it to a frag plug and say ''woot woot, I just fragged my birds nest'

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back