First time mixing saltwater

Mattt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I finally have my 20 gallon cube setup and I'm now attempting to mix saltwater. I have a 32 gallon Brute with RODI and I'm using 5 gallon buckets from lowes to mix in. The buckets are market every 1/2 gallon. I filled 2 buckets up to 3.5 gallons (so they dont splash while carrying them) and read the directions on the salt bucket (Tropic Marin Pro Reef). According to the directions it should mix at 1/2 cup per gallon so I mixed in 1 3/4 per bucket. After letting them mix for an hour I checked the salinity with a Hannah checker and a Milwaukee and they both showed about 28ppt. I calibrated the Hannah and that appeared to be accurate. When I calibrated the Milwaukee the 1.025 solution would read at 32ppt. Because they both read my water the same I decided to use the Hannah and slowly mix in more salt until I hit 35ppt. It took another 3/4 cup to reach 35ppt. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I finally have my 20 gallon cube setup and I'm now attempting to mix saltwater. I have a 32 gallon Brute with RODI and I'm using 5 gallon buckets from lowes to mix in. The buckets are market every 1/2 gallon. I filled 2 buckets up to 3.5 gallons (so they dont splash while carrying them) and read the directions on the salt bucket (Tropic Marin Pro Reef). According to the directions it should mix at 1/2 cup per gallon so I mixed in 1 3/4 per bucket. After letting them mix for an hour I checked the salinity with a Hannah checker and a Milwaukee and they both showed about 28ppt. I calibrated the Hannah and that appeared to be accurate. When I calibrated the Milwaukee the 1.025 solution would read at 32ppt. Because they both read my water the same I decided to use the Hannah and slowly mix in more salt until I hit 35ppt. It took another 3/4 cup to reach 35ppt. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?
FWIW, I use a different salt but it too is 1/2 per gallon.

I find it reads low as well......unless you let it mix and fully dissolve which usually is 3-4 hours for my salt.

OP
OP
Mattt

Mattt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully I didn't mix it too high now. I will let it mix while I'm working tonight and check when I'm home.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully I didn't mix it too high now. I will let it mix while I'm working tonight and check when I'm home.
If it’s too high, add RODI to get it back in line. If you have to do it to all the buckets, you will have extra salt water premixed! Put it in jugs for a water change later!

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use TM Pro Reef as well.

I too mix my water in 5 gallon buckets that are marked at every 1/2 gallon.

And yes, while the exact amount does vary just a touch from batch to batch, I also have to add a little more than the instructions call for.

Typically I have to add 2.75 cups of salt mix to 4.5g of RODI to get 34 ppt versus the prescribed 2.25 cups.

Trust your hanna meter and refractometer. Sounds like they're reading right and you're mixing right.

BTW - as an added side note, on the one or two occasions I was only mixing up a gallon or two versus 4.5 gallons, I think I recall having to add even a bit more extra than usual to hit 34 ppt. So I suspect the larger the volume you're mixing, the more accurate the prescribed 1/2 cup/gallon becomes.

rmurken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Giving it time is a good plan. Also does not hurt the process of getting the water to equilibrium with the air (the whole CO2, alkalinity, pH thing), although that is basically independent of your salinity reading. I assume the packaging recommends how long to aerate.

OP
OP
Mattt

Mattt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the help. It's good to know I'm not doing things completely wrong.

OP
OP
Mattt

Mattt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after letting everything mix for over 8 hours it has stayed at 35ppt. I guess I just needed to add a little extra salt when mixing.

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a related topic, and not to hijack... if I add and mix salt directly in a 32-gallon brute container using a Sicce 5 pump... is there the risk of damaging the pump? The pump is a beast and sucks up a lot of the salt. I could use a wave pump as an alternative (and keep it closer to the surface of the water). More logical? Thanks!

rmurken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a related topic, and not to hijack... if I add and mix salt directly in a 32-gallon brute container using a Sicce 5 pump... is there the risk of damaging the pump? The pump is a beast and sucks up a lot of the salt. I could use a wave pump as an alternative (and keep it closer to the surface of the water). More logical? Thanks!

I don’t know, but I would use a cheap pump and not the pump equivalent of an Italian sports car to mix SW.

Back