First time ordering off LA/Quarantine ... fish lying and not mobile?

Nem0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I just ordered a midas blenny and mccoskter flasher wrasse off LA divers den. It's my first time purchasing from online.

I finished acclimating and putting them in the QT about an hour or so ago. Both the blenny and wrasse are hiding (which i get). The wrasse is lying on its side sometimes, breathing hard. Is this just from all the stress? the blenny on LA was a bright yellow, he's pretty dark but I beleive that is from stress too. When will they stop being "stressed". lights are off in QT.

ArizonaAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First question as always, what are the parameters looking like in your qt? Fish will exhibit stress when first introduced but not usually to the extent of near death. Especially with two fish makes me think something might might be off. Sounds like something is really bothering them.

Could maybe be that the bags experienced an ammonia spike when you opened them. The feces in the bag breaks down into ammonia and, when exposed to fresh air and oxygen, becomes toxic very quickly. Symptoms sound like it could be ammonia burn.

OP
OP
Nem0

Nem0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First question as always, what are the parameters looking like in your qt? Fish will exhibit stress when first introduced but not usually to the extent of near death. Especially with two fish makes me think something might might be off. Sounds like something is really bothering them.

Could maybe be that the bags experienced an ammonia spike when you opened them. The feces in the bag breaks down into ammonia and, when exposed to fresh air and oxygen, becomes toxic very quickly. Symptoms sound like it could be ammonia burn.

Ammonia levels are 0 according to my alert badge. ill run a water test now.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As @ArizonaAquatics said, how did you acclimate them, ammonia in your QT tank may not be the issue, the ammonia in the bags they r shipped in can be. I match my QT salinity to the water the fish were shipped in, that way as soon as I cut the bags the fish go into the QT. If you used the water that the fish were shipped in during acclimation then ammonia can become a problem. A bath in methyl blue may be what the doctor ordered.

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless there was some complication with shipping (long delays or hot temperatures for extended times) I would allow them time to calm down. Personally I do not drip acclimate in the shipping bags because it can make the ammonia already present more toxic to the fish. I match parameters and throw them in.

OP
OP
Nem0

Nem0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As @ArizonaAquatics said, how did you acclimate them, ammonia in your QT tank may not be the issue, the ammonia in the bags they r shipped in can be. I match my QT salinity to the water the fish were shipped in, that way as soon as I cut the bags the fish go into the QT. If you used the water that the fish were shipped in during acclimation then ammonia can become a problem. A bath in methyl blue may be what the doctor ordered.

I float acclimated, matched my SG, then dropped them in. no shipping water was used.

temp-78, ammonia 0

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I float acclimated, matched my SG, then dropped them in. no shipping water was used.

temp-78, ammonia 0
K, then that eliminates that possible issue.

I would aim a pump head towards the top of the tank to try and add as much oxygen.

OP
OP
Nem0

Nem0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless there was some complication with shipping (long delays or hot temperatures for extended times) I would allow them time to calm down. Personally I do not drip acclimate in the shipping bags because it can make the ammonia already present more toxic to the fish. I match parameters and throw them in.

I'm hoping they're just freaked out. both look healthy besides them hiding and breathing more so than normal.

ArizonaAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
K, then that eliminates that possible issue.

I would aim a pump head towards the top of the tank to try and add as much oxygen.
Yes, make sure the water is as oxygenated as possible. Also, are there meds in the QT already or is it just normal water and cycled media?

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't give up on the wrasse. They simply don't ship well. Check to see if yours needs sand to sleep in.
I got a flasher wrasse from the den a month or so ago and it laid on the bottom for over a day, breathing very hard and appearing so close to death I felt bad for not euthanizing it. There was also a 24 hour shipping delay and scorching temps.

It's alive and well in my DT today. I did give it a methalyne blue bath, but I'm not convinced that is what made the difference. What it really liked was a blob of chaeto I put into the QT. It got right inside of it, slept for 30 hours, and then started markedly improving. I'd give it increased lights out time in a darkened room so it has a chance to recover from the trip.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nem0

Nem0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't give up on the wrasse. They simply don't ship well. Check to see if yours needs sand to sleep in.
I got a flasher wrasse from the den a month or so ago and it laid on the bottom for over a day, breathing very hard and appearing so close to death I felt bad for not euthanizing it. There was also a 24 hour shipping delay and scorching temps.

It's alive and well in my DT today. I did give it a methalyne blue bath, but I'm not convinced that is what made the difference. What it really liked was a blob of chaeto I put into the QT. It got right inside of it, slept for 30 hours, and then started markedly improving. I'd give it increased lights out time in a darkened room so it has a chance to recover from the trip.

Great. Just googled and it does not need sand. Just put a towel over the tank to darken it all the way. Theres a good amount of PVC pipes in there for them to hide and sleep in. Hoping it's just stress and all goes well.

melanotaenia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered a Flame Wrasse from DD a month ago and, like William DeCoursey described, it hid for four days and did not come out to eat at all. Today, he is out all the time and no problems; I would not worry for at least 4-5 days, at least for the Wrasse. Good luck.

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also, don't be shocked or rush to treat the wrasse if you see big white hunks or what appears to be its skin/scales sloughing off. A lot of the flashers that don't sleep in sand will look for an isolated snuggly spot and excrete mucous to sleep in. Mine never liked the inside of pipes, though he would try to saddle up to the sides of them.

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As said, I wouldn't worry if you're sure SG and temp are optimal, and ammonia is not present. Oxygen is a plus obviously as well.

Blennies and wrasse both show stress colors and it's common for them to lay in the QT and act dead or ill for up to a few days after shipping, even when healthy. If one behaves normally (particularly a wrasse) within hours or the next day, you're doing very well.

Blennies in particular change color when they ship and are stressed.

melanotaenia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree give them time to adjust. but I would be careful ordering from LA, especially from the DD. heres a post I just made on them. I would possibly call them and inform them that is looks sick. But they might not do anything because its DD, which doesn't have a warranty.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-is-the-last-time-i-buy-from-liveaquaria.641728/#post-6414018

Not sure the point of your post as there is a 14 day guarantee on their fish and they clearly state that you should monitor/quarantine any fish you receive.

OP
OP
Nem0

Nem0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure the point of your post as there is a 14 day guarantee on their fish and they clearly state that you should monitor/quarantine any fish you receive.

Well 1- I would rather not kill a fish if I could help it...just because they have a warranty does not mean you should abuse it
2- I am quarantining and monitoring. So not sure the point of your reply

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 20 71.4%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.6%

Back