First time purchasing frags. Would love some input on "value added" hitchhikers.

faceymcfaceface

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everybody!

First post ever on this forum. Been keeping freshwater fish for a few years now and decided to start up a saltwater nano tank.

Today, Sunday the 11th, will mark 68 days since the initial setup. The initial cycle seems to be all complete as I have been reading 0 ammonia for the past 10 days. Current inhabitants are a blue leg hermit crab and an orchid dottyback.

Decided it is time to start looking to add corals and I picked up a mushroom, GSP, and a zoa frag. All of which I read and was led to believe are "hardy" and good starter corals.

I am doing a quarantine on the corals and upon inspection with a USB microscope I saw a tube next to one of the zoa frags. Sorry for the crudey resolution but it is all I have at the moment.

I am not sure if its a vermetid snail or some sort of feather duster. Without a better camera setup I can't tell if the brown blob that comes out of the tube is a mouth or feathers. I am not seeing a webbing being released. I circled it below in, of course, red. There is also black specs that move around in time lapse as if they are little buggers. I know there is no way to ID them at this resolution and scale but i am curious as to if I should do a Beyer dip and if my quarantine tank is now compromised and I need to start it over.

001.png

I also found a couple of what I think is aiptasia but I wouldn't mind second opinions .
002.PNG

Finally below is a camera shot showing the overview of the frag.
You can see the tube if you zoom in near the left most polyp and the aiptasia is near the bottom center.
003.jpg

Thanks in advance for all your input!

002.PNG

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would guess last picture is a majano anemone. Beautiful pest. My favorite of them all. up to you if you want to keep it.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be a majano...could be a baby BTA as well. Either way, it will probably melt the zoa next to it over time so should be moved and isolated until you can get a firm ID. The first pics are too blurry, but the bottom tube looks more like feather duster than vermetid I think. If it's sticking out from the rock with a curled base, it's vermetid. If it's flat on the rock, then it's duster or something else.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have old eyes but I cannot see any aiptasia. Do you dip your frags? That really helps remove pests. I have QT'd many of mine, even with dipping and found some interesting things. I once had a bristle worm crawl out of a zoa. Bye Bye zoa polyp. Others have had zoa spiders. You are doing the right thing, be vigilant and you'll keep a clean tank.
Welcome to the salty family!!
Jimmy Fallon Celebs GIF

OP
OP
F

faceymcfaceface

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I did a dip using Reef Primer which was recommended by my LFS.

Was doing an inspection of the other frag I picked up same time as the zoa and saw a worm like creature moving around on it.

Thinking I might have to do a more aggressive style dip.

andiesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i agree with majano, and i'd guess you've got a feather duster, potentially of the genus bispira. it looks like the ones i have in my hob filter. does it close up when you block out the light? and is the tube soft or hard?

OP
OP
F

faceymcfaceface

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is motion sensitive and will close up if I move near the glass. The tube is so tiny I can't tell if it is soft or hard. I can barely see it with mark one eyeball.

I went ahead and did a beyer dip. Little black dots have yet to make a reappearance. Fingers crossed.

Should I worry too much about the feather duster ?

andiesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is motion sensitive and will close up if I move near the glass. The tube is so tiny I can't tell if it is soft or hard. I can barely see it with mark one eyeball.

I went ahead and did a beyer dip. Little black dots have yet to make a reappearance. Fingers crossed.

Should I worry too much about the feather duster ?
sounds like a feather duster. no worries though, feather dusters are friends! they will filter particulate matter out of the water for you :)

Back