First time reefer living in San Francisco

Gabtron92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow reefers!

I just joined R2R about a week ago even though I’ve had my tank for about 10 months now. I’m working with a Fluval 13.5 and I think it has been a really great starter tank.

This hobby is so challenging… I’ve dealt with Dino’s, other algae outbreaks, and random fish going missing Despite the struggles I’m really loving it! The challenges keep me engaged and there’s always something to learn. I’m such a newbie and would love any hot tips for success!

I would also love to get in touch with a few other reef hobbyists in the Bay Area if possible. I’m looking for my fish tank friends

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
welcome33.gif

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow reefers!

I just joined R2R about a week ago even though I’ve had my tank for about 10 months now. I’m working with a Fluval 13.5 and I think it has been a really great starter tank.

This hobby is so challenging… I’ve dealt with Dino’s, other algae outbreaks, and random fish going missing Despite the struggles I’m really loving it! The challenges keep me engaged and there’s always something to learn. I’m such a newbie and would love any hot tips for success!

I would also love to get in touch with a few other reef hobbyists in the Bay Area if possible. I’m looking for my fish tank friends

Welcome! Glad you joined. Sounds like you have BBA - Bounce Back Ability - this is a great life skill and wonderful for this hobby.

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread under Forum > Member Aquariums and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This might help you find people local to you in San Francisco:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

KK's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow reefers!

Howdy from the Bay!

Welcome to the forum. Msg me if you want to know some good LFS's in the Bay Area.

OP
OP
Gabtron92

Gabtron92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
Howdy from the Bay!

Welcome to the forum. Msg me if you want to know some good LFS's in the Bay Area.
Hi there!! I’ve figured out that San Jose has really great local fish stores! I wish San Francisco had something comparable. I don’t have a car so it’s tough to get all the way to San Jose for some frags and livestock.

OP
OP
Gabtron92

Gabtron92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and the salty world. Lots of knowledgeable and helpful people here who will support and advise you when needed.
I’ve noticed that already!! I really appreciate how helpful and eager to share knowledge everyone is! ☺️ I love this community

OP
OP
Gabtron92

Gabtron92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Glad you joined. Sounds like you have BBA - Bounce Back Ability - this is a great life skill and wonderful for this hobby.

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread under Forum > Member Aquariums and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This might help you find people local to you in San Francisco:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:
Wow! Thanks for all your help/advice I tried to get a badge for my build thread but it says “invalid link” maybe it’s not approved yet. I will try again soon. I have a few pics and some info on my build thread and I definitely plan to add more. I want to track my progress.

how long have you been in the hobby?? I’m going to check your build thread. I love to see everyone’s tanks

I already want something bigger but I can’t handle the cost right now I’m currently just proud of myself for almost eradicating my Dino’s problem. I took a multi prong approach and attacked it from all angles… microbacter 7, blackouts, raised nitrates and phosphates, installed a uv sterilizer, vacuumed it up, yelled at it, prayed, cried… y’all know the struggle

KK's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

Hi there!! I’ve figured out that San Jose has really great local fish stores! I wish San Francisco had something comparable. I don’t have a car so it’s tough to get all the way to San Jose for some frags and livestock.

San Jose has a couple of gems. Cali-Kid has a shop in Concord. Aquatic Collection in Hayward is pretty good. And CFM comes around to Sunnyvale a few times a year.

There's also a flower shop/aquarium in the avenues (Richmond district?) that has a saltwater fish sale every Sunday. Not my favorite shop in terms of fish health, but the sale gives customers a chance to pick up livestock before it goes into the shop's tanks.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back