First time setting up a refugium. Am I doing this right?

MR2MAS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today is the first day I tried using the refugium section of my sump. I'm using a 20 gallon high tank that I siliconed glass baffles. The refugium section is about 4 gallons. As seen in the video, I placed a 1oz ball of chaeto I got from Algea Barn. The Chaeto is tumbling, but some pieces are breaking apart and flowing into different section of the pump. What i'm concerned about its starting to clog up my return pump. Am I doing something wrong? Or what can i do to keep the Chaeto from going all over the place? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

MarshallB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheato does shed. Usually not tiny pieces though so you should be able to diy a screen to sit in one of the baffles to catch the debries. Hobby lobby has an assortment of screen like materials in different sizes.

OP
OP
MR2MAS

MR2MAS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So luckily I had some egg crates, so I cut out a section that covers the entire refugium section. I think with it this way, the chaeto stays where it’s supposed to and when I turn off my return pump, it didn’t float off into another section.
5FA2233B-6239-48E0-906B-EB1554B2AA52.jpeg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back