First timer with a clam.

Lunas_dad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone this is my first post, and first tank. It’s a mix of corral and fish. I bought an establishment tank, and the clam was blue and beautiful. When the guys moved the tank they put him on the rock. He has yet to open, and it’s been a week and a half. I moved him the other day, to see if air was inside, but nothing. He hadn’t clamped to the rock either. I noticed last week so white slime coming out of him. Yesterday he was open just a touch, and today it’s completely shut. The water was tested and is good. I’m at a loss, any ideas? Thank you.

Reefer newbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone this is my first post, and first tank. It’s a mix of corral and fish. I bought an establishment tank, and the clam was blue and beautiful. When the guys moved the tank they put him on the rock. He has yet to open, and it’s been a week and a half. I moved him the other day, to see if air was inside, but nothing. He hadn’t clamped to the rock either. I noticed last week so white slime coming out of him. Yesterday he was open just a touch, and today it’s completely shut. The water was tested and is good. I’m at a loss, any ideas? Thank you.
Do you have any idea what type of clam you have??? I know maxima’s like rocky substrate, and the tri’s like a more sandy substate. If he were to open up slightly again, I would pass my hand over the top of him so it goes from light to dark, that should cause him to close shut immediately(not fully). I’m not sure that a week and a half along with a slimy discharge, and no foot attachment is looking good. I would have to say it’s probably not doing that good. I also want to let u know that clams like alk especially, so make sure your alk levels are on the higher side. I’m new to this also, but have had 2 clams. The first not so good on my part, and the second one fell over and died. Not going to get another one anytime soon, even though I love them. Good luck

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it hasnt opened up in a week and stuff is coming out, it may be dead already. Any pictures?

OP
OP
L

Lunas_dad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 47
OP
OP
L

Lunas_dad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was what he looked like before the move.

Attachments

• 02B807E1-9BC0-4E1D-91B7-202FE4F5809E.jpeg
    02B807E1-9BC0-4E1D-91B7-202FE4F5809E.jpeg
    123.9 KB · Views: 59

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
most clams will gape open when dead, but it could still have died like that. I wouldnt try to bother it really and probably let it sit there for another week or 2 before i pulled it and called it dead for sure.
For a new reef tank i just always ask this, how long has the tank been established (before you got it)?, what are the tank parameters (ammonia, nitrate, phosphate, calcium, alkalinity, magnesium)? Are you using rodi water?

OP
OP
L

Lunas_dad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
most clams will gape open when dead, but it could still have died like that. I wouldnt try to bother it really and probably let it sit there for another week or 2 before i pulled it and called it dead for sure.
For a new reef tank i just always ask this, how long has the tank been established (before you got it)?, what are the tank parameters (ammonia, nitrate, phosphate, calcium, alkalinity, magnesium)? Are you using rodi water?
The tank was up and running 5 years. that being said, I checked the salinity a few days after I got it, and it was at 33. I got it down to 28, then did a 15 gallon water change.26 now, its a 120g tank. my friend checked all the parameters, and they looked good. thank you all for the help.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
confused what unit are you using to measure salinity, 26ppt?

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is also going to matter the exact parameters as well, on the forum most people trust exact numbers as parameters can influence other parameters in the tank. What test kit did they use to measure parameters and which parameters were checked?

Randy’s reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turn the clam sideways , if air bubbles come out that will be a reason for why it wasn’t opening.

OP
OP
L

Lunas_dad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
confused what unit are you using to measure salinity, 26ppt?
Yes, I have the Hanna tester and it tested 26.5 at 79 degrees. My friend is pretty experienced and he had all the correct stuff too. My calcium was high, so I did the water change. 10 gallons salt, and 5 RO water. I make the RO water, and it tested good as well! Thank you!!

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I have the Hanna tester and it tested 26.5 at 79 degrees. My friend is pretty experienced and he had all the correct stuff too. My calcium was high, so I did the water change. 10 gallons salt, and 5 RO water. I make the RO water, and it tested good as well! Thank you!!
This is extremely low salinity, (26.5ppt = 1.017 i think). Salinity needs to be raised to near 35ppt or 1.026

OP
OP
L

Lunas_dad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is extremely low salinity, (26.5ppt = 1.017 i think). Salinity needs to be raised to near 35ppt or 1.026
I want to thank you very much! My meter was registered wrong. I’m in the process of raising it now. I’m up to 1.024. Again, thank you so very much.

Back