First timer

Tbone2370

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I am a newbie to the hobby and I purchased a 30 gallon AOI tank that I will setup this weekend. I have been listening to the BRS 5 minute guides on YouTube and heard something I found interesting and would like to hear other thoughts. In one of the cycling videos, it mentioned after 2-4 weeks, certain fish should be added before the lights are turned on. The fish were tangs and a lawnmower blenny. The purpose of adding these fish are to fight the algae growth that will start before and after the lights are turned on. My first issue is 2-4 weeks seems pretty quick for adding fish, and tangs can get pretty large. Not sure I would want to use one for a 30 gallon, but I could start with a small one and sell it when it's larger.

For reference, I plan on using Reel Reef Rock that is treated by not true live rock. I will also use live sand and MicorBacter7 to start help the cycle go quicker.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Solid plan to get cycled. I used dry rock, live sand, and MB7 and it took about 4 weeks to cycle.

Good luck!

8FC94B89-1CAE-49F8-95F0-73F09EB51308.gif

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome to the hobby and the sight, hope it goes well for you.
there can be a lot going on between 2 and 4 weeks, so test and look for changes in the gravel . hope and trust you can get things going with your regimen in that period.
and patience is a true virtue in this hobby
other opinions on seeding with beginner coral (candy canes, zoas) in the early days I think are sound and Reef Therapy is another voice to listen to besides BRS.
Crabs and Snails in that time frame too.
IMO, only the smallest bristle tooth tang would be happy long term in a 30, but there are several other fish to add early, and the lawnmower is one of them

fushi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello, I am a newbie to the hobby and I purchased a 30 gallon AOI tank that I will setup this weekend. I have been listening to the BRS 5 minute guides on YouTube and heard something I found interesting and would like to hear other thoughts. In one of the cycling videos, it mentioned after 2-4 weeks, certain fish should be added before the lights are turned on. The fish were tangs and a lawnmower blenny. The purpose of adding these fish are to fight the algae growth that will start before and after the lights are turned on. My first issue is 2-4 weeks seems pretty quick for adding fish, and tangs can get pretty large. Not sure I would want to use one for a 30 gallon, but I could start with a small one and sell it when it's larger.

For reference, I plan on using Reel Reef Rock that is treated by not true live rock. I will also use live sand and MicorBacter7 to start help the cycle go quicker.
Welcome,

Yes, tangs would grow too big for that tank, blennies are a good small algae eating option. For algae I recommend also getting a clean up crew as you start to see algae.

I like reefcleaners but you can get the cuc from anywhere. When I order from reef cleaners I also get some of their mixed pods as I think it helps get the microfauna going. You just dump the bag of pods in and get all the good stuff they come with.
https://www.reefcleaners.org/aquarium-store/cleaner-packages-with-free-shipping

https://www.reefcleaners.org/aquarium-store/tank-cleaners/pods-detail

I would not use MB7 but instead go with MicrobactorXLM or my preferred choice biodigest.

For a new tank I find it helpful to add some live rock, it just comes with all kinds of microfauna you can’t get in a bottle. I know there is a risk of hitch hikers but i think its worth it. You can get reef rubble form aquabiomics that is supposedly very clean but I just pick up some live rock from my LFS and pick off anything I don’t want.

As for the 2-4 week cycle; that is a highly debated topic. Personally as soon as the bacteria in the tank can convert all the ammonia into nitrates it is ready for fish, so to me its not really a specific time.

Some tips for a fast cycle:
Add a ton of biodigest (you can’t overdose it) i do a double dose everyday for a week
To get ammonia in the new system I use ammonia drops you can buy from brs or just throw some food in.
Lots of testing, it gives you something to do and an idea of where you are in the cycle.
Don’t make any drastic changes it will only create more problems than it will fix. Slow and steady wins the race.

I hope this helps.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome.

Research and patience is a Huge part of this hobby, a tang doesnt belong in a 30 gallon, thats just cruel. Its even a bit small for a lanwmower blenny, which eats only certain kinds of algae, and if that algae is not present, it will starve to death. Only limited types of fish can fit into that size tank, each is unique and has its own requirements.

OP
OP
Tbone2370

Tbone2370

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome,

Yes, tangs would grow too big for that tank, blennies are a good small algae eating option. For algae I recommend also getting a clean up crew as you start to see algae.

I like reefcleaners but you can get the cuc from anywhere. When I order from reef cleaners I also get some of their mixed pods as I think it helps get the microfauna going. You just dump the bag of pods in and get all the good stuff they come with.
https://www.reefcleaners.org/aquarium-store/cleaner-packages-with-free-shipping

https://www.reefcleaners.org/aquarium-store/tank-cleaners/pods-detail

I would not use MB7 but instead go with MicrobactorXLM or my preferred choice biodigest.

For a new tank I find it helpful to add some live rock, it just comes with all kinds of microfauna you can’t get in a bottle. I know there is a risk of hitch hikers but i think its worth it. You can get reef rubble form aquabiomics that is supposedly very clean but I just pick up some live rock from my LFS and pick off anything I don’t want.

As for the 2-4 week cycle; that is a highly debated topic. Personally as soon as the bacteria in the tank can convert all the ammonia into nitrates it is ready for fish, so to me its not really a specific time.

Some tips for a fast cycle:
Add a ton of biodigest (you can’t overdose it) i do a double dose everyday for a week
To get ammonia in the new system I use ammonia drops you can buy from brs or just throw some food in.
Lots of testing, it gives you something to do and an idea of where you are in the cycle.
Don’t make any drastic changes it will only create more problems than it will fix. Slow and steady wins the race.

I hope this helps.

Very helpful. Thanks!

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
welcome abord! good start to your journey with listening/watching the BRS videos. quite informative those 5 minute videos!

StefanW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Welcome, im also a newbie. I'm setting up a 40 gallon breeder with a 20 gal sump as we speak. Getting my aquascape done then time for water and to start my cycle!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 136 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back