First water change and when to clean filter sock

showjumper_girl2002

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! I have a new saltwater aquarium that has cycled and been running for about a month now. It is a 70 gallon and I currently have a conch, pair of clowns, lawnmower blenny, sailfin tang, and coral beauty in it. I was wondering when I should do my first water change? Also, when should I start rinsing my filter sock out and how often should it be done after the initial rinse? Thank you all in advance! :)

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I wash my filter socks 1-2 times a week whenever you see the water level is almost at the top of the sock. Since you don’t have corals, you can do a water change once a month.

ASIN28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The filter socks will start to overflow as they get clogged but I always switch out my filter socks at least once a week. I have about 10 filter socks I wash and keep swapping out.
Water changes are your friend as long as the tank is cycled. Especially in new tanks water changes will help reduce your phosphates and nitrates which will help reduce algae growth

OP
OP
showjumper_girl2002

showjumper_girl2002

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wash my filter socks 1-2 times a week whenever you see the water level is almost at the top of the sock. Since you don’t have corals, you can do a water change once a month.

Thank you! I'm planning on having corals in the future once the tank is more established and I can afford the proper lighting, etc.. Just for future reference, how often would I do water changes for a reef tank?

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thank you! I'm planning on having corals in the future once the tank is more established and I can afford the proper lighting, etc.. Just for future reference, how often would I do water changes for a reef tank?
It depends on what type of corals, but for most reefers, they do around 10% weekly water changes or 15%-20% for biweekly.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found it easier to have extra socks on hand and just replace them when needed. I change mine out on Wednesdays and Sundays. I have 2 in my sump, so I usually keep 10 to 12 on hand and throw them in the wash machine when I and getting close to running out. On my upgrade I will have 3 in my sump, so I will keep at least 15. :)

Emmanuel32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Depends on your schedule but some people do 10% - 15% water change a week. But if you don’t have a lot you can do that every 2 - 3 weeks perhaps

scabbedwings616

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brs did a test on this and stated that every 3 days(from what I remember) is optimal and 5 days Is too late to chang3 it out. If you have 6-8 extra every other day is best. I do mine ever 3 to 4 days and phosphates stay at .05 to .07. If I don’t change them it jumps up to .11 at most and I can see it in my corals poly extension.

jpbeen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! I have a new saltwater aquarium that has cycled and been running for about a month now. It is a 70 gallon and I currently have a conch, pair of clowns, lawnmower blenny, sailfin tang, and coral beauty in it. I was wondering when I should do my first water change? Also, when should I start rinsing my filter sock out and how often should it be done after the initial rinse? Thank you all in advance! :)
Water changes are a pain so I do a 15% biweekly. Change filter socks when water is overflowing the top of the sock. Take dirty sock and turn inside out and wash with hose. Wash in washing machine with either food grade hydrogen peroxide or bleach. If using bleach make sure to run through an extra rinse cycle.

jeffrey750750

Reefin in the slow lane
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I change mine about every 5 days whether it needs it or not. Don't forget about the sump foam, those gets clogged up too.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back