First water change?

Calebd91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When should I look at doing my first water change? Biocube 32, 35ish pounds caribsea life rock, 10-12# caribsea special grade substrate. RODI water with 2 little fishes salt on initial fill. Salinity and temp taken with Hanna tester. Not running skimmer yet, only factory filter, bag of carbon and bag of phosguard. No lights running yet beside 1-2 hours in evening to monitor fish/water clarity. (Intank basket and floss ordered). I was advised by my trusted lfs to “instant” cycle my tank with dr Tim’s one and only an pair of clowns added shortly after, like same day! I was sketched out by this but they said they start almost every new tank this way. Fish have been doing great and very active. Initially ran heater an filter for 24hrs after fill, removed filter for dr Tim’s dosing as advised for 24hrs.
Dr Tim’s added at 3:30pm and fish added at 4:30pm after acclimating on 9/25/21

Began testing
9/26/21 8:00am
[email protected]
Ph-8.2-8.4
Ammonia-0-0.25
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-0-5
Calcium-400
KH-11
Phosphate- 0-0.25

9/26/21 8:00pm
[email protected]
Ph-8.2
Ammonia-0-0.25
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-5-10ppm

9/27 6:00pm
[email protected]
Ph-8.0
Ammonia 0-.25
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate 5-10

Did I miss the initial ammonia rise? Ive read the api test don’t show true 0 on ammonia (I know there’s better test kits, but I figured after cycling I won’t be using it much an will pick up better nitrate tester in due time) I’ve constantly seen zero on nitrites but nitrates seam to be slowly coming up. I’m led to belive that means it’s cycled…but should I prepare for or expect a spike again in few days? I’m so paranoid about a possible ammonia spike an not catching it while at work or something. I was set on fishless cycle an take my time but I do trust my lfs an I’m new to the hobby so I tend to listen when I trust the info.
Thanks

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're insta-cycling a tank there won't be any ammonia rise. I'd probably wait at least a week before your first water change and I wouldn't add any more fish for a month. You may want to add some clean-up crew, ie: hermit crabs, snails, etc.

OP
OP
Calebd91

Calebd91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're insta-cycling a tank there won't be any ammonia rise. I'd probably wait at least a week before your first water change and I wouldn't add any more fish for a month. You may want to add some clean-up crew, ie: hermit crabs, snails, etc.
I’ve just been paranoid about a possible spike that I won’t be home to catch, I’ve read and read so much conflicting info I just don’t want to cause any harm or losses.
I don’t plan on any more fish very soon, mainly want to be sure I can keep it stable, and I do plan on a clean up crew once I see some growth. Don’t want to toss them in now an they starve right away.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are several ways of cycling a tank. The first is the traditional slow method when you add some starter bacteria, ghost feed small bits of mysis shrimp for about a week and then watch the typical ammonia to nitrite to nitrate spikes. This establishes the beneficial bacteria in the rock, substrate, water column, etc.

The second is the insta-cycle method where you add all the beneficial bacteria and a fish or two to provide the necessary ammonia to keep the whole cycle going.

Why the two methods? The first is cheaper (especially with larger tanks) and doesn’t require any fish. And as this was always the traditional way to establish tanks it’s stuck around.

There’s actually a third way to cycle a tank by taking existing live rock and tank water and simply placing in a new tank with fish (most of the beneficial bacteria is in the rock).

OP
OP
Calebd91

Calebd91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you feel as if I won’t see a spike in ammonia? I just read the thread on skip cycling and it gives me some piece of mind that I “shouldn’t” an that it’s basically cycled but maybe not matured in large nitrifying bacteria’s yet but I plan on small bio load for a months time minimum. Also been keeping lights off except for maybe hour of full spectrum an 2-3 of blues/moonlight to hopefully combat early algae growth. I plan on adding in some coraline spores this weekend to help kickstart that as well.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you see a spike in ammonia everything in your tank will probably already be dead. This is why with the traditional method you don’t add any fish, inverts or corals (since they’ll perish) until after the tank cycles.

Look at it this way: You’re either making the pizza yourself (longer cycle) or having your favorite pizza joint deliver it (insta cycle).

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 43.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 29.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back