Fish “slapping” the rocks

mnofziger1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve noticed some very strange behavior from my royal gramma and new yellow tang lately. They will swim by rocks and “slap” the rock with their bodies/fins. I noticed the tang do it last night and the royal today. I did a routine water change yesterday. I’ll try to post my royal video but I’ve had terrible luck with that on R2R. Any help on video posting would be appreciated as well :p
Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_4322.MOV
    5.6 MB

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't work for me, but if you go to you tube and look up "fish flashing" or something along those lines, I think you'll find results similar to what you're seeing.

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right click and 'download link' or 'save link' to download nnwatch the vid. It's worth the effort though
I tried that. My computer's media player wanted 99¢ for a codec. I assume that's why I can't play it in firefox either.
edit: or IE or Chrome

OP
OP
M

mnofziger1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't work for me, but if you go to you tube and look up "fish flashing" or something along those lines, I think you'll find results similar to what you're seeing.

Excellent. Thank you. Any experience with this? Is there any drawback if I treat and that is not the problem?

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent. Thank you. Any experience with this? Is there any drawback if I treat and that is not the problem?

First would be determining the cause of the flashing, as there's many reasons for a fish to do it. Otherwise treating, unless you went through a whole quarantine type regimine, would be just shooting into the dark, so to speak.

I don't know all the things that would cause flashing, but a common cause would be ich, velvet and flukes with ich being the most common, but all having similar treatments, so to answer your question about would treating your fish for it even if if it's not the problem harm it, yes and no. I've read a few anecdotes about copper based treatments reducing the lifespan of some fish, as well as improper dosing can also harm fish. There's other methods, like hyposalinity and tank transfer method that are pretty safe for fish. However, the problem would be to do it properly, you'd have to do it to all your fish, and keep them out of your display for 76 days for ich, 45 for Velvet.

When did you add the fish to the tank?
Same question for the other fish.
Did you quarantine them?
Did you quarantine any and all invertebrates and coral?
Are they displaying any other symptoms, spots, sensitivity to light, swimming into areas of flow, anything like that?

1guydude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you fish is rubbing himself on the rock or looking like they are trying to flick something off of them onto the rock than its probably disease as said. Ich. Or other fish gil disease. Watch for fin rot or white spots. Black gil dot marks. Somethings. Hths
D

Woodchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve noticed some very strange behavior from my royal gramma and new yellow tang lately. They will swim by rocks and “slap” the rock with their bodies/fins. I noticed the tang do it last night and the royal today. I did a routine water change yesterday. I’ll try to post my royal video but I’ve had terrible luck with that on R2R. Any help on video posting would be appreciated as well :p
Thoughts?
If you tap and hold the video then hit download linked file and tap in the blue arrow by the search bar you can watch the video

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A. Feed tang
B. That looks like itching/flashing usually a sign of the Protozoa marine Velvet or Ich... do you qt your fish, do you have a qt setup
C. Besides the tang being famished as balls is there any sign of disease for ex. Black spots on fish, white spots, excess slime or jagged/cut fins???!!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back