OP
M

mnofziger1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all of the input everyone. The tang is a baby and he does eat well. I got him about 10 days ago from my LFS whom I trust so did not quarantine. I also got a goby at the same time who has been very busy - I’m sure has gone through all of my sand at this point. The royal I’ve had for a couple months. He was really the only one in the tank that was ticked at the new tang.
As far as behavior, the tang seems very ADD and covers the entire tank. I don’t have much algae so I’ve been providing seaweed which he loves. The royal typically stays in his shelters but has been spending much more time lately mid tank and visible (which is nice). I have not noticed him flashing today at all. I also have 3 chromis that always seem squirly. I’ve had them for maybe 6 weeks. I also have 2 clowns that I’ve had about 3 months. I have not added any CUC in a couple months. I also have a fire shrimp and I have noticed the tang and a chromis present to him.
Water has been good. I did a 10g water change on Sunday (12%ish). I only have a few softies. That’s all I can think of.
If you think the tang is too skinny I can certainly up his seaweed. He seems to finish everything I give him.
I did order some prazipro which will be here tomorrow and my current plan is to do a 20g water change tomorrow and dose.

OP
OP
M

mnofziger1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all of the input everyone. The tang is a baby and he does eat well. I got him about 10 days ago from my LFS whom I trust so did not quarantine. I also got a goby at the same time who has been very busy - I’m sure has gone through all of my sand at this point. The royal I’ve had for a couple months. He was really the only one in the tank that was ticked at the new tang.
As far as behavior, the tang seems very ADD and covers the entire tank. I don’t have much algae so I’ve been providing seaweed which he loves. The royal typically stays in his shelters but has been spending much more time lately mid tank and visible (which is nice). I have not noticed him flashing today at all. I also have 3 chromis that always seem squirly. I’ve had them for maybe 6 weeks. I also have 2 clowns that I’ve had about 3 months. I have not added any CUC in a couple months. I also have a fire shrimp and I have noticed the tang and a chromis present to him.
Water has been good. I did a 10g water change on Sunday (12%ish). I only have a few softies. That’s all I can think of.
If you think the tang is too skinny I can certainly up his seaweed. He seems to finish everything I give him.
I did order some prazipro which will be here tomorrow and my current plan is to do a 20g water change tomorrow and dose.
Re-reading comments - I forgot to add: no spots or blemishes.

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nori has to last him all day to graze on if you don't have a lot of algae.

So, logically you just said it yourself .. you don't have much algae

He doesn't eat well, he's just hungry so eats what you give him quickly. That hunger will turn into major aggression...

You can say he eats well, but we can see he's skinny as heck. Baby or not. No excuses, feed him more. He should have a little plump belly imo....

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"As far as behavior, the tang seems very ADD and covers the entire tank. I don’t have much algae so I’ve been providing seaweed which he loves"

He's hungry. He's hungry. He grazes. Feed him more, before he dies. Also, you probably have ICh, and it probably came in with the tang.

FEED HIM MORE.

OP
OP
M

mnofziger1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"As far as behavior, the tang seems very ADD and covers the entire tank. I don’t have much algae so I’ve been providing seaweed which he loves"

He's hungry. He's hungry. He grazes. Feed him more, before he dies. Also, you probably have ICh, and it probably came in with the tang.

FEED HIM MORE.
Will do. I’ll keep him stocked up ;)
Thanks for your help.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just in case the fish are scratching on rocks and some have been introduced recently it could be a sign of disease, keep an eye on them for any visual signs for a couple weeks. Just in case I would keep the water as pristine as possible and feed the fish as much as they can eat, a few times a day and a mix of different types of frozen Hikari cubes. The extra nutrition from the extra food and pristine water will help them tremendously if it turns out to be some type of parasite. As long as they are eating well, the majority of the time they will develop a strong immune system and recover on there own. As all my fish have developed a strong immune system they laugh at most any disease.

OP
OP
M

mnofziger1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just in case the fish are scratching on rocks and some have been introduced recently it could be a sign of disease, keep an eye on them for any visual signs for a couple weeks. Just in case I would keep the water as pristine as possible and feed the fish as much as they can eat, a few times a day and a mix of different types of frozen Hikari cubes. The extra nutrition from the extra food and pristine water will help them tremendously if it turns out to be some type of parasite. As long as they are eating well, the majority of the time they will develop a strong immune system and recover on there own. As all my fish have developed a strong immune system they laugh at most any disease.
Haha. I love it. Thank you.

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want your fish to eat well, and mean like gourmet bougie fish, get them some lrs.

I go between reef frenzy, fish frenzy. Sometimes I throw in mysis, jumbo mysis, some of those orange pellets that come in the silver bag that's supposed to be super good for them. I rotate, but they will get at least one lrs meal a day.

My fishies grow fast :)

OP
OP
M

mnofziger1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want your fish to eat well, and mean like gourmet bougie fish, get them some lrs.

I go between reef frenzy, fish frenzy. Sometimes I throw in mysis, jumbo mysis, some of those orange pellets that come in the silver bag that's supposed to be super good for them. I rotate, but they will get at least one lrs meal a day.

My fishies grow fast :)
Thanks for the reply. I have been using reef frenzy with occasional spirulina. And seaweed with the tang.
Update: I noticed a few spots on the tang this morning but none on the royal although he was really struggling last night and has stopped eating.

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. I have been using reef frenzy with occasional spirulina. And seaweed with the tang.
Update: I noticed a few spots on the tang this morning but none on the royal although he was really struggling last night and has stopped eating.

Yes, you have ich. Whatever you do, you're going to want to do it fast. That tang already isn't doing well, and if the Gramma stopped eating, is on its way out

Also, hope that it isn't velvet. Though by now, you'd know.

OP
OP
M

mnofziger1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: lost the royal :( set up QT/hospital tank and have all fish in there but I cannot catch 2 chromis. I want to run DT fallow for 90 days but I can’t get them out. I’m not terribly attached to them but assumed my 90 days can’t start until I get them out of there.
Speaking of which - can my goby stay?

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: lost the royal :( set up QT/hospital tank and have all fish in there but I cannot catch 2 chromis. I want to run DT fallow for 90 days but I can’t get them out. I’m not terribly attached to them but assumed my 90 days can’t start until I get them out of there.
Speaking of which - can my goby stay?
No

OP
OP
M

mnofziger1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Finally caught the chromis and goby and all fish in QT. Now I have several questions:
First, in QT, can I have sand in QT for the goby? I’m running copper safe - about 1.9-2.0. He seems really sad.
Second: thinking how to maintain my fallow DT - not letting nutrients get too low. Last set of tests were pretty low, except ALK was about 11 - I was doing fairly frequent water changes. I turned down the fuge light - chaeto grows like crazy. I have CUC and a blood shrimp. How should I feed? I read about every 3 days. Should I not change filter socks? Take them out? Remove carbon? For corals - all I have are a few softies.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.2%
Back