Fish and tank size

avira

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! I'm new in this hobby and in this forum, and i want to make a reef tank.
I trying to learn, (reading) everything as possible, to do the best I can.
I want to know, if anyone can tell me. How Big, has to be my tank, that the animals, can live in peace and good conditions.

Following, fishes i like.
-Paracanthurus hepatus
-Zebrasoma flavescens
-2 clown fish
-2 Chromis viridis
- Labrodis dimidiatus
- Mandarin fish
- six line
- Picticrhomis paccagnellae.
are those species compatibles?
are those species "reef safe" ?

Thanks!! :)

Isoprene

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
live aquaria.com has specs on almost any fish reef safe or not, tank size, eating habits, ect..i use it every time i see something cool. and i usually cant keep it :)

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they are all reef safe but the first 2 on the list the 2 tangs will require a vrey large tank 120 at minimal preferably a 180 as the blue hippo gets large. (any bigger tnak will be fine to lol).. 6line wrasses can be very aggressive and territorial to other fish, i would recommend a fairy or flasher wrasse. clowns and chromis are fine, but the mandarin should be added last after the tank has been setup and runnign for a good 6 months to a year, they eat mostly live food from the rock work, small invertabrets (pods) are there main food source. if you can get them eating pellets your golden but the odds are 50/50. the list you have can get a long fine but liek i said 6 lines can be very mean to any new fish you might want to add after it and will also eat the same food your mandarin is hunting for.. i would also recommend at least a 6ft long 120 for all these fish.

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Due to the size of an adult P. hepatus, I would go with an 8 foot long tang. IMO/E, a 6 foot won't be long enough for the full life span of that fish.

OP
OP
A

avira

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alex, :) ok, -Paracanthurus hepatus ..needs a lot of space, they are so beautiful, but Ican give it all the space that they need, right now.( I forget about them)
-
Zebrasoma flavescens

6lines it's a troublemaker!! :) ( I forget about it, too)

thanks for the recomendations.. I will check fairy/flasher wrasse.

Sorry, my bad English.. :)

OP
OP
A

avira

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if i want to have a reef tank with 10 fishies + 2 shrimps, = tank size ????

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 tangs? Or 10 nano fish? The answer would very from 40 gallons at the lowest (( and even that would be pushing it )) to 1,000s of gallons.

Airplanes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bigger is better in this case. I always suggest the biggest you can afford, have space for, and can maintain. Good luck. Also how are the fish stores in Argentina?

OP
OP
A

avira

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bigger is better in this case. I always suggest the biggest you can afford, have space for, and can maintain. Good luck. Also how are the fish stores in Argentina?

:) ok.
here, the fish stores all are/have pretty much the same.. and also are expensive, because everything are imported from other countries

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you at least have any ideas of the fish that you want to keep? Would help narrow down the tank size --- there is more to it than just the bio-load. Have to factor in where the fish swim, how aggressive they are, feeding requirements, etc, all of those will play a huge role.

Connie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is also VERY important to know their adult size. If you buy a tang that is 2" long but will grow to 15" count that fish as a 15" fish. That way, you won't overcrowd or have to find new homes for them later.

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great point --- funny how you (( meaning me )) just assume that people would know that, but I made that mistake more than once when I first started this hobby.

Bry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is also VERY important to know their adult size. If you buy a tang that is 2" long but will grow to 15" count that fish as a 15" fish. That way, you won't overcrowd or have to find new homes for them later.

Excellent point! They do seem to grow much faster than we exect them to.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back