Fish are dying and I don't know what to do!! :(

Aspect

Active Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Joined
Apr 8, 2022
Messages
323
Reaction score
143
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Location
USA
Something likely leached from rock to raise nitrates and possibly ammonia levels. You may have also developed a parasite outbreak as rabbitfish has many diots from Mucus spores and likely cryptocaryon (Marine Ich). problem you have with this is that is accelarated stress and not treatable with conventional means such as copper. Rather, you have to reduce any stress the fish will be subject to and as trophants will be dropping to sand to regenerate, Siphon Sand every morning until the rash effect on fish subsides. A high watt UV sterilizer unit may help with this until the parasites lose their life cycle.
If the nitrates ammonia were high wouldn't the corals show stress before the fish though?
 
Avast
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
Leon821019218

Leon821019218

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Joined
Apr 16, 2022
Messages
76
Reaction score
286
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Location
Alphen, the Netherlands
Something likely leached from rock to raise nitrates and possibly ammonia levels. You may have also developed a parasite outbreak as rabbitfish has many diots from Mucus spores and likely cryptocaryon (Marine Ich). problem you have with this is that is accelarated stress and not treatable with conventional means such as copper. Rather, you have to reduce any stress the fish will be subject to and as trophants will be dropping to sand to regenerate, Siphon Sand every morning until the rash effect on fish subsides. A high watt UV sterilizer unit may help with this until the parasites lose their life cycle.
If I had a ammonia spike would that not be more 'instant?' in killing multiple fish at once? I do understand that working in the tank have caused some stress which made them more susceptible in catching a disease... but with ich, shouldn't I have seen white spots all over the fish before they died?
 

gbru316

Well-Known Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Joined
May 13, 2022
Messages
718
Reaction score
1,201
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Location
Melbourne, FL
The super strange thing is that i see a cleaner shrimp in one of your pictures. If it was a water quality issue you would assume the shrimp would die first before the fish. Your corals also look fine which again you would see symptoms typically in corals before fish with water quality.

I am really thinking your looking at a fish disease here........... do you see any laboured breathing? lethargy? loss of appetite? white spots??
I’ve lost fish to ammonia spikes while inverts were fine.
 

Aspect

Active Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Joined
Apr 8, 2022
Messages
323
Reaction score
143
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Location
USA
If I had a ammonia spike would that not be more 'instant?' in killing multiple fish at once? I do understand that working in the tank have caused some stress which made them more susceptible in catching a disease... but with ich, shouldn't I have seen white spots all over the fish before they died?
EIther way, you should get a couple Seachem ammonia badges just in case.
 
Nutramar Foods

Aspect

Active Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Joined
Apr 8, 2022
Messages
323
Reaction score
143
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Location
USA
Update! Light in the tank are out and I just saw my foxface leaning against the side of the tank, belly on the bottom and he is breathing really, really fast :worried-face:
Can you get to a Petco to grab some Seachem Amguard? It will bind any ammonia you potentially have in your in 20 minutes.
 
Corals.com
OP
Leon821019218

Leon821019218

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Joined
Apr 16, 2022
Messages
76
Reaction score
286
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Location
Alphen, the Netherlands
Can you get to a Petco to grab some Seachem Amguard? It will bind any ammonia you potentially have in your in 20 minutes.
No unfortunately not, I'm in the Netherlands and all the shops are closed since it's middle of the night over here..
 

ScionFRSguy

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Joined
Apr 5, 2022
Messages
74
Reaction score
69
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Location
California
You mean dry rock as in something that came out of water all ready? The rock I bought was man made, dead, dry as a martini kind of rock. Fake as you will ;) So I don't think I have to worry about disease that came with it. But I did rinse the rock of with ro/di water to remove any debris or dust or whatever. But there may be 'something' on or in it from the processing/making of the rock? And thanks man!

Yes, live rocks that came out of saltwater that were dried out = dry rocks. Man made rocks are different all together; they're not rocks; they're not made in nature. Although I did okay with some early versions of these rocks, I wouldn't recommend anyone to use them. Those things are made from materials that are not natural to the reef. It's not like they go into the ocean to collect these raw materials for production. The bonding agent and paint used to fabricate is suspect in eyes. It might be safe for a while..
 
OP
Leon821019218

Leon821019218

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Joined
Apr 16, 2022
Messages
76
Reaction score
286
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Location
Alphen, the Netherlands
I would grab some of that asap, use it when you get it just in case.
If there is anything left to save... Man I'm sick to my stomach about this whole thing. I've always told myself to be patient when stating up the tank. Don't put anything in all at once. Observe, give them nice foods, clean water. Done all that, taking it serious and (probably) made a stupid error and see what it got me. Pffff
 
Tidal Gardens

czoolander

Active Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Joined
Feb 5, 2021
Messages
425
Reaction score
401
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Location
Vancouver
Not that I have seen. They look fine, good color, eating well swimming around the tank and the next day there dead :downcast-face-with-sweat: I did see on the foxface something as you can see in the picture I posted. It does not look good if you ask me.
You need to get these fish into quarantine fast or do a big water change . sounds like either disease or ammonia stress. Both are lethal .

Might be too late but i am hoping not and you can get your fish to pull through healthy !!!!

If its disease you will want to copper treat in quarantine

if its ammonia you will need to do a big water change or a quarantine tank without the copper

wishing you the best man dealing with fish loss is awful . I had a velvet outbreak 2 years ago its the worst and you feel helpless
 
AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
Leon821019218

Leon821019218

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Joined
Apr 16, 2022
Messages
76
Reaction score
286
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Location
Alphen, the Netherlands
I'm filling up a small tank now and try putting them in but since everything is closed now I have no options for getting medicine. But seeing the way they are at this moment I have no hope they will pull through... I checked for ammonia just now and it's 0. Nitrate is 0. Gonna try catching them in a few minutes.

Will update...
 

Tavero

New Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Joined
Aug 5, 2022
Messages
14
Reaction score
11
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Location
Somewhere
" I have no skimmer"
I have created an account just to post this because i had a similar issues with my tank.
What are your oxygen levels during night? I have lost a lot of animals due to low oxygen. Without a skimmer and increased nutrient levels, just the bacteria alone can lower O2 close to zero. A new tank without detrius wont have these problems but after a year this might change.
 

Have you ever had problems as a result of "over filtering" your tank?

  • YES (tell us in the thread)

    Votes: 55 34.8%
  • NO

    Votes: 98 62.0%
  • Other (please explain)

    Votes: 5 3.2%
Joes
Top