fish are still scratching after a week of copper treatment!

Antoniocastro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have several fish in quarantine now, tomorrow is a week old with chelated copper at a concentration of 2.5ppm I started with copper because I had a fish swimming in front of the wave maker and it turned dull in color. Now I have seen improvements in that fish, but other fish that were not scratching are now scratching... how can I tell you, the copper concentration has been at 2.5 ppm for a week now... do you think they could be flukes too? Or why will other fish scratch that previously didn't?

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flukes are a possibility. That's why our QT protocols include two rounds of prazi after the 30 days of copper. Treatment with copper and prazi simultaneously is possible. However, this may put more stress on the fish. Additional aeration is required because of the prazi. If you choose to try that, monitor closely and if the stress appears too great, you will need to do a water change. If a water change is needed, be sure to reset your copper concentration. Since you've gone a week already, try to continue with copper for the full 30 days.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have several fish in quarantine now, tomorrow is a week old with chelated copper at a concentration of 2.5ppm I started with copper because I had a fish swimming in front of the wave maker and it turned dull in color. Now I have seen improvements in that fish, but other fish that were not scratching are now scratching... how can I tell you, the copper concentration has been at 2.5 ppm for a week now... do you think they could be flukes too? Or why will other fish scratch that previously didn't?
Treatment protocol is for 30 full days but swimming in front of powerhead suggests velvet and not ich. Chelated will work with velvet. What kit are you monitoring the copper levels with ?
While scratching can be flukes, other fluke signs are cloudy eyes, loss of appetite, heavy breathing and flashing across tank even with a yawning effect. Other signs of velvet are
- Scratching body against hard objects
- Fish is lethargic
- Loss of appetite and weight loss
- Rapid, labored breathing
- Fins clamped against the body
- rapid breathing and mucus around the gills

Fish with velvet will typically stay at the surface of the water, or remain in a position where a steady flow of water is present in the aquarium

Last edited:

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Treatment protocol is .5 and NOT 2.5 for chelated copper. The 2.5 applies to coppersafe and copperpower. What kit are you monitoring the copper levels with ?
You've got this backwards... coppersafe and copper power are chelated, not ionic, so OP has the correct dosage for chelated copper.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
You've got this backwards... coppersafe and copper power are chelated, not ionic, so OP has the correct dosage for chelated copper.
Ive got the wrong thread. Too many pages open

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Fixed - Thanks for heads up. Other is referring to a clown with ich

OP
OP
A

Antoniocastro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Treatment protocol is for 30 full days but swimming in front of powerhead suggests velvet and not ich. Chelated will work with velvet. What kit are you monitoring the copper levels with ?
While scratching can be flukes, other fluke signs are cloudy eyes, loss of appetite, heavy breathing and flashing across tank even with a yawning effect. Other signs of velvet are
- Scratching body against hard objects
- Fish is lethargic
- Loss of appetite and weight loss
- Rapid, labored breathing
- Fins clamped against the body
- rapid breathing and mucus around the gills

Fish with velvet will typically stay at the surface of the water, or remain in a position where a steady flow of water is present in the aquarium
I'm checking with Hanna's colorimeter. The fish that was in front of the wave maker is now lethargic but it is no longer in front of the wave maker it eats, not excellent but it eats something... it does not show any signs on its skin or fins or anything and this fish is already It doesn't scratch. I've seen that others started scratching inside the copper treatment.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back