Fish being treated for ich, not doing well(Thoughts)

OP
OP
Estringer92

Estringer92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TTM is tank transfer method of ich eradication.. basically you can move fish through a series of small QT tanks every 36-72 hours - in theory if done correctly you time the ich stages and remove them from your fish without the need for medication... I on the other hand use this method with medication - therefore, not only am I increasing my chances to successfully rid ich, but it makes it easier to ensure the correct amount of meds and serves as a 100% water change.

the only downside is you need a lot of tanks, or be willing to clean one out thoroughly every other day, and lots of salt water, because you are doing a 100% water change with each move.

some say it's more stressful on the fish, others say its less. i assume your mileage may vary.. i am in the middle of this now (mostly because I have a lot of fish and am terrible at catching them. i have run a cowfsh, orange beaked file fish, sailfin tang, gem tang, and naso tang so far with no issues.
Ok TTM is no problem i fairly new to reefing but i have fresh water as well, running 7 tanks currently with a handfull of 20 and 40B lying around. I moved them to a 40B and all seem fine except the brown tang. I dont know if he will make it.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Will do. Yes 75 degrees is what it goes into the tank as.
Try to equalize it with tank temperature. Colder water can lead to shock and parasites hence the very reason we float our fish

OP
OP
Estringer92

Estringer92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You definitely need more flow than a HOB. Water flow needs to be lively and robust. Oxygen and ammonia are the two killers in an emergency QT setup. I would perform 25% water change, and do that every 3-4 days, remember to add back copper you are taking out. The copper would not be causing this. Or Ich, really.
Ive been doing a 15% every 2 days. Today i did a 50% still no ammonia spikes so idk. I tossed in an air stone ill see if that helps. But having that 75 gallon filter on a 20gallon it almost pushes water over the edge running at full speed. But i tossed in a small power head as well pointed perpendicular to the HOB now they are doing the swirly lol thanks for the advice!

OP
OP
Estringer92

Estringer92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try to equalize it with tank temperature. Colder water can lead to shock and parasites hence the very reason we float our fish
Ok will change those heat settings. Weird i have not had issues before, now i need to find out what brought ich to my tank in the first place. Only new things ive added is a starfish and an anemone. Thank you for the advice

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok will change those heat settings. Weird i have not had issues before, now i need to find out what brought ich to my tank in the first place. Only new things ive added is a starfish and an anemone. Thank you for the advice
The tophonts could have hitchhiked on the inverts. Anything you add to your tank can be a vector for potential infestation. I'm currently cycling a tank, and I'm just amazed at what's dropped off the live rocks that I've dropped in while ammonia levels are still sky-high. So far, almost all of the rocks (from two different sources) have had bristleworms, and I've found three itty bitty fireworms lying on the substrate. Two bundles of macro (from two other sources) had aiptasia. I'm certainly never going to buy chaeto again, as the bundle I bought was just filled with unidentifiable arthropods and, probably, aiptasia, as it came from a store that sent me the halimeda with aiptasia on it, and had GHA mixed in with it. And then I spent the morning cleaning off some bubble algae off of two lovely frags I bought on the weekend (and didn't see while polyps were extended).

OP
OP
Estringer92

Estringer92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on the condition of the fishes. The 3 clowns are still in the 20 gal QT still doong fine and all levels are normal( from what i can test). The kole tang, brown tang, and yellow tang got moved to the 40B for Quarintine last night, the brown tang seems to be getting strength back yellow tang is still a little finicky but looks to be pulling through.

I dont know what is effecting them in the 20 gallon tank but i should.move the clowns before it hits them?

OP
OP
Estringer92

Estringer92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well sadly my powder brown did not make it he was doing much better before i left for work last night. I honoestly think the lemon damsels was the culprit in its fatal outcome. With me at work ill never know.

Yellow tang it back to normal except hes not eating, kole tang is still gmdoing great, and the 3 clowns are ok they are not eating either.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 34.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 15.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back